Just In

Stewarty

I know there's a Champions vs. The Pars thread but that seems to be more of a minute-by-minute update, so here's the traditional thread.

That was an odd match to say the least. We absolutely coasted through the first half, to the extent that it looked like a training match at times. Having said that we didn't create that many clear cut chances. In the second half we were again in control but the defence went AWOL. I couldn't believe that we were 3-1 down given the percentage of possession we were enjoying. But this isn't a team to lie down and it was typical of us to equalise in the last minute. Fantastic.

Regular visitors to this forum will know that I'm not Forbes's biggest fan, but I thought he was quite impressive in a more withdrawn role where pace wasn't required and he had the game in front of him. Bannigan was again excellent, and McMillan put in an assured performance in his first full debut. It must have been tough on the Pars fans to see him not only score but clear one off the line.

I though Elliot struggled to make an impact - I remain unconvinced - and I have my reservations over whether McGuigan is mobile enough considering out style of play.

But hey, we're champions. Champions!!!

• Like 1

I know there's a Champions vs. The Pars thread but that seems to be more of a minute-by-minute update, so here's the traditional thread.

That was an odd match to say the least. We absolutely coasted through the first half, to the extent that it looked like a training match at times. Having said that we didn't create that many clear cut chances. In the second half we were again in control but the defence went AWOL. I couldn't believe that we were 3-1 down given the percentage of possession we were enjoying. But this isn't a team to lie down and it was typical of us to equalise in the last minute. Fantastic.

Regular visitors to this forum will know that I'm not Forbes's biggest fan, but I thought he was quite impressive in a more withdrawn role where pace wasn't required and he had the game in front of him. Bannigan was again excellent, and McMillan put in an assured performance in his first full debut. It must have been tough on the Pars fans to see him not only score but clear one off the line.

I though Elliot struggled to make an impact - I remain unconvinced - and I have my reservations over whether McGuigan is mobile enough considering out style of play.

This team simply don't know when they're beaten, do they :thumbsup:

• Like 2

what a comeback from the boys today. we were 1-0 and cruising at half time, dunfermline came out second half and seemed to win the midfield battle, the game seemed to change when McMillan was moved to midfield and SOD came on. our midfield and defence fell apart. they had 2 or 3 other good chances in the 2nd half but I still couldn't believe we were 3-1 down.then a bit of magic from Erskine and what looked like a stramash and Lawless with a shot to draw 3-3, couldn't see what happened from the northy. great scenes at the end though. it was good to keep the unbeaten run up aswell. oh Maryhill is wonderful. fans in the northy were superb, what an atmosphere. who would have believed that league table 3 weeks ago?!

Edited by jags on tour

Why does nobody make and sell enamel badges anymore? One of my prized possessions is my champions badge from 2002, and all I wanted was one for this season. Plenty of cheap scarves and t-shirts being hawked outside the ground before the match ... but no badges : (

there was a guy at the canal end selling championship medals!

The referee seemed to have decided the season was over at half-time, and just decided to have a laugh for the rest of the afternoon.

Which if true is disgraceful. The point Dunfermline got could leave Cowdenbeath in the play-off place considering the Pars' next game is Airdrie.

Why does nobody make and sell enamel badges anymore? One of my prized possessions is my champions badge from 2002, and all I wanted was one for this season. Plenty of cheap scarves and t-shirts being hawked outside the ground before the match ... but no badges : (

Tommy McMillan is your man - South Coast Jag and huge Bognor Regis supporter too - has lots and lots of badges!!

The referee seemed to have decided the season was over at half-time, and just decided to have a laugh for the rest of the afternoon.

It was really strange. Prior to half time I was thinking, 'this guy is the first decent ref we've had all season - he's been fair, consistent and alert'. Then in the second half he not only lost the plot but had it shredded and chucked in a furnace.

Pars fans are having a melt down about the Thistle fans goading them at the end of the game.

I thought the Dunfermline support were quite impressive today, and from what I could see were applauding us at the end. Not quite sure why anyone could be bothered goading them, but it didn't seem like much of a big deal really. Noticeable that no real effort was made to keep people off the pitch at the end, and I don't think there was any harm done at all.

Really enjoyable afternoon. Thought the line up before the game with all the mascots looked brilliant (have never seen so many mascots). Hopefully someone had a wide enough angled lens to get a good picture of it :D

Yep lots of possession but we need to remember what to do with it ....

The defence was shocking in the second half and our lack of pace will bad a problem next year ...

Ill make myself unpopular by picking out Conrad and don't get me started on Sinclair but lets have that argument after the hangover !

I still couldn't believe we were 3-1 down.

I take it by that, you mean you couldnt believe we werent about 6-1 down!!! Dunfermline had some great chances in the first 35 minutes of the 2nd half and if it hadnt have been for some great Foxy saves we would have got gubbed. Today was my first ever day in the North and have to say it was great. Plenty of goading from the Pars fans when they were 3-1 up so what comes round, goes round. When the 3rd goal went in, it went radio rental. Was great to keep Archie and Shaggy's unbeaten record . Nice touch fom Foxy and Stephen O'Donnell when they took the trophy over to a young disabled boy in a wheelchair at the end of the old enclosure beside the North Stand. We didnt play well today but boy this team has a never say die attitude. Sorry to see Erskine and Paton go and they must have mixed feelings over what has happened over the last few weeks, but no player is bigger than the club. I wish them well personally but hope their club is relegated next season. Now time for the pub!!

C H A M P I O N E E S!!!!!!

PS....Where in Gods name did the "official" crowd of 5663 come fom??? Must have been at least 7500 there today!!

Edited by Lindau

Bit of a strange day/match given the league was effectively won at Airdrie and confirmed at Falkirk..

Thought the 2 ex Pars lads were really good today, Dowie mopped up goalmouth balls ups a couple of times. A couple of our regulars who will remain nameless were gash today but who cares.

Good to see the police justifying their wage by giving grief to the kids at the back of the JHS, the North Stand has been excellent all season, was noticeably more subdued today with high vis jockeys staring everyone down and loads of them floating about at half time. I thought we were police free? Just having them around the place changes the atmosphere, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come next season.

Oh, and did I imagine it or did Dumf fans stand up and applaud us when we chanted. "We're Partick Thistle. We're paying your bills!"

Yeah it looked to me like loads of them were clapping, they could of course have been signing a song I couldn't hear over ours.

Anyone know how many they brought, enough for us to give them some monies?

I thought we were police free? Just having them around the place changes the atmosphere, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come next season.

I couldn't catch the words, but it sounded although The North Stand were singing a few fairly complimentary lines about one of Maryhill's finest police officers near the end?

Bit of a strange party - there wasn't the edge of having to win the game and we were on cruise control in the first half without creating too many clear cut chances. Dunfermline suddenly became gatecrashers and we had a few escapes before conceding three goals. We did well to fight back to get a draw.

Forbes ran the game from deep today and things went wrong when he moved forward to accommodate a rather anonymous McMillan in midfield.

Dunfermline fans were a credit to their club - made more noise than a much bigger Morton support. Willie Collum - FIFA referee? - you're having a laugh! I could see Dowie's jersey being pulled from 50 yards away.

Some tough calls for Archibald - Elliott, McGuigan, Craig, Dowie - are they good enough for the SPL? Not sure. And Balatoni will have to continue to improve.

We will really miss Erskine - a goal and two assists today - it has been great to have that jolt of excitement that something special might happen whenever he gets the ball.

But it's a day to celebrate a great season - well done to everyone at the club.

• Like 1

A good summary. A few lessons were taught this time, although time will tell whether they've been learned or not. Among others: don't ever treat the opposition with disdain, to the point that you're holding back from scoring. (Surely that lesson should have been learned from Culter and Queen's Park this season!) AndMcGuigan doesn't have the cutting edge of Doolan or Craig: he looks good, but he doesn't have the eye for goal of either, and he doesn't bring others into the game - although that may be down to a reluctance of others to support him. We'll need more cover for holding midfielders. Apart from losing Paton, all three alternatives were injured today, and Craig only came on because Archie spotted that he was essential. Archie's substitutions show a tactical awareness that may yet pull us out of the mire - vastly superior to those of....what was his name again?

This team simply don't know when they're beaten, do they :thumbsup:

Part of that was down to Erskine, who won't be here next season; Lawless, in particular, was being bullied physically.

Some players need to be told: "Play to the whistle!" Probably over and over again, until they can say it in their sleep. The tendency to look appealingly to the referee is only going to give the advantage to the opposing team. It's childish and unproductive - even where, as for Dunfermline's second goal, there has been a blatant foul. Referees hardly ever revise decisions or non-decisions, and in Scotland only where the deluded and the demented are involved: the players have to realise that and keep up with the action. To be fair, there was a fair bit of aggressive mishandling from today's opposition, but many of our players just passed the ball, got up and got on with it.

Keep up this attitude, and this team should be looking for a top 6 place next season.

Edited by Fearchar
  • Like 1