Fergie Retires

One wee down side to his career was on a cold midweek Scottish League Cup semi final in October 1971 at Hampden Park, when he and his Falkirk team mates were on the receiving end of a good gubbing by the one and only Partick Thistle Football Club. Falkirk were thoroughly outplayed by the Jags who, shortly after, would go on to trounce a Celtic side rated in the top 2 or 3 of the Europen elite, in the final.

(Sorry, I just can't help myself. Dig dig dig)

One wee down side to his career was on a cold midweek Scottish League Cup semi final in October 1971 at Hampden Park, when he and his Falkirk team mates were on the receiving end of a good gubbing by the one and only Partick Thistle Football Club. Falkirk were thoroughly outplayed by the Jags who, shortly after, would go on to trounce a Celtic side rated in the top 2 or 3 of the Europen elite, in the final.

(Sorry, I just can't help myself. Dig dig dig)

Thistle, a big Denis in particular if I recall right, were excellent that night. A real taste of what was to come in the final.

He was a good manager for Man Utd but his antics were a disgrace.

I am ashamed he is Scottish.

Antics? How is he any different to any other successful manager?

Normally you associate older managers with outdated or backwards approaches to football, however his understanding of sport psychology was clear and this meant his players were always completely focused on their performances rather than much of the nonsense that can and does go on around them.

He was a good manager for Man Utd but his antics were a disgrace.

I am ashamed he is Scottish.

Name any of the most successful Scottish managers ever, throw in the likes of Clough, Ramsey and Revie and I could come up with serious flaws to their character. In fact in relative terms Ferguson would get off lightly.

For a start the stuff about van Persie almost dying. defending Cantona after his kung-fu kick, the constant criticism of referees when decisions don't go his way, his comments about fellow managers.

He has zero dignity and makes Neil Lennon look like a reasonable person.

That's my opinion of course.

Agree that he could be ungracious, but you cant deny his achievements in the game, on both sides of the border.

Absolutely. There will probably never be another to match him. The problem was that he was around so long that he had almost convinced himself that he was above all criticism. But that's a tendency a of all men of a 'certain age'. ( I speak from personal experience!) His achievement at Aberdeen was quite extraordinary - what a team! My only problem was that he is such a mumbler -even worse than Lambert - that at times I really struggled to make sense of what he was saying. I hope he has a happy retirement with his race g horses and his grand piano.