A Song To Ditch

Chicob

Have been enjoying myself too much recently to start a serious thread but I think it’s now okay to throw this out for debate. ‘Hello hello how do you do, we hate the boys in royal blue...etc’. I have sung this song for a very long time now and it was one I used to sing with great pride as 1. It showed how we were distinct from the OF. 2. Its irony showed how quirky we were with a great sense of humour and 3. Probably somewhere in my subconscious it gave me a sense of being able to take the moral high ground as it demonstrated how we genuinely had no time for bigotry. However, times change and on reflection I now feel it is time we ditched this ‘classic’ for 2 reasons. Firstly, as other people have alluded to elsewhere, someone will undoubtedly wish to register a complaint. This will probably cause ourselves problems as a club and also give the other two the excuse of being able to point the finger elsewhere whilst playing down their own true bigotry. Secondly (and this is probably the contentious point) I feel we should stop it voluntarily because it is outdated, from another era and simply wrong. Even if it is irony, singing ‘Fk the pope and fk the queen’ just isn’t acceptable anymore and doesn’t seem quite as witty as it once was. The songs this year have been imaginative, hilarious at times and able to get the passions stirred, so I am sure the guys who have came up with these are more than capable of coming up with a new song which highlights how we are so different from the other two whilst winding them up at the same time. Thoughts?

• Like 1

It's time to go before it causes us grief from those who have ignored decades of sectarian bile from the formerly Gruesome Twosome

This from a 2007 PTFC statement:

"SAY GOODBYE TO THE “HELLO” SONG!

Cards on the table! Many a time in the past I have joined in singing, with some relish, the song which ridicules the sectarian nonsense which has been the scourge of the West of Scotland in general, and football in particular.

The sectarian nonsense which has been calculatedly used by some to accumulate wealth, power and influence in the game but which is now costing those institutions these very things and which is, consequently, being shunned with all the enthusiasm of Saul/Paul on the Road to Damascus.

The authorities are now, after more than a century of the aural equivalent of a blind eye, turning their attention to the “small minorities” of several thousand who have poured – and to a considerable extent continue to pour - this verbal diarrhoea from the stands and the singing has almost been drowned out by the howls of righteous indignation from these latter-day converts to a degree of civilisation enjoyed by the rest of us since the dawn of evolution.

Any convert is, however, no matter the motivation or the tardiness, to be welcomed and if the attempts to drag these Neanderthals screaming and scratching into the multi-faith, multi-cultural society which we all inhabit are to succeed then we are duty bound to look to ourselves and to ensure that our conduct is above reproach.

For that reason, the repertoire of the songsters at Firhill has got to change and while my indulgence in the ironic “Hello, Hello” was all about highlighting the crass stupidity of the bigots (ninety-minute or full-time variety), that argument is no longer sufficient to exempt us from criticism from those who might seek to make an example of a club from outwith the more relevant target group to show even-handedness………or duck the real challenge (delete as applicable).

Partick Thistle Football Club has a proud tradition of combating all of the “isms” with which the ignorant stain our society and we will act to ensure that that tradition is maintained and that the authorities will continue to have no reason to turn their attention to Firhill when dealing with the ills of the game.

Club stewards have been instructed to apply a zero tolerance approach to any supporter, home or visiting, who breaches the standards expected and that includes the singing/chanting/shouting of sectarian, racist, profane material or any other provocative or unacceptable abuse of groups or individuals.

A strategy analogous to that applied on the pitch will be used with a warning (equivalent of a yellow card) being issued to offender who, if repeating the offence, will be ejected from the stadium and face a life-time ban from Firhill.

Essentially, all supporters need to appreciate that conduct within a football stadium should mirror that on the streets of their local community.

What is not acceptable in your street is not acceptable in your stadium and to ignore that jeopardises your team and your own entitlement to come along and support The Jags.

Football is a passionate game and those of us who follow Thistle are, arguably, more passionate than most since the majority of us have been brought up in or around Glasgow as an oppressed minority with all the baggage that comes with an adolescence scarred by the at best patronising, and at worst aggressive, attitudes of our peers who chose a different path by submerging their identities, and often suspending their better judgement and intellect, for the tribal mores of other clubs.

Our passion needs, however, to be tempered by an awareness that sarcasm and irony can be lost on those who do not wish to recognise it and that the passage of time and societal changes mean that we too must change and take cognisance of what progress has been made elsewhere.

It is, therefore, definitely time for all Jags fans to say goodbye to the “Hello” song!

Six years on, little has changed other than Sevco's League status!

Edited by CCjag

Totally agree, thought we had got rid of it.

It was actually shhh'd down at the first game of the season, but made a return for the cup final, Morton game and Dunfermline game.

I would suggest that was down to the increased crowd having lapsed fans involved.

No need for it to be sung, regardless of what point it makes. Every other team has stopped singing it, so should we.

No. Stop it. and if we hear it we should shush it so that everyone knows that not only are we dead against this crass bigotry but that we have class enough of think of zillions of other ways to promote ourselves as the best club for youngsters and families of Glasgow and outlying districts.

I don't see much harm in it. We aren't bigoted fans, however, if that's how other clubs perceive it then perhaps it is time to stop singing it.

Have the SPL said anything against it?

Maybe we should just save it for the big occasions as a little treat.

It is possible that the SPL could take disciplinary action against the club, especially if it was sung during a game against Celtic. However, the SPL has failed to take action against the supporters of the OF who sing sectarian songs.

Not sure about others, but I haven't ever sung "fk the Pope" or "fk the queen".

It's always been "fk YOUR Pope" and "fk YOUR Queen".

A world of difference. If others misconstrue it, that's their problem. Sing on lads.

Which one? There are two Popes in the Vatican now. :D

Edited by kni

Not sure about others, but I haven't ever sung "fk the Pope" or "fk the queen".

It's always been "fk YOUR Pope" and "fk YOUR Queen".

A world of difference. If others misconstrue it, that's their problem. Sing on lads.

Stand corrected on the official wording Brick top but I don't accept there is a WORLD of difference. 'Fk YOUR pope,queen,allah,mohamed, or whatever' is in my language offensive.Try that out on the street with a total stranger and I'm certain their reaction would not be 'That's okay mate as long as you said 'your' and not 'the' otherwise I might have been offended'. Sorry if you think I am misconstruing things but maybe YOU are not seeing the real issue.

Stand corrected on the official wording Brick top but I don't accept there is a WORLD of difference. 'Fk YOUR pope,queen,allah,mohamed, or whatever' is in my language offensive.Try that out on the street with a total stranger and I'm certain their reaction would not be 'That's okay mate as long as you said 'your' and not 'the' otherwise I might have been offended'. Sorry if you think I am misconstruing things but maybe YOU are not seeing the real issue.

There's nowt official about it. Which is a dam good thing.

Context mate. Football starts with an F for F's sake!!! Ask the great Lambini.

It's celtic and rangers who are being refered to as the boys in blue and green. Therefore it's firmly asserted in everyday loose glaswegian parlance that, we have no time for their pope or queen.

Perhaps if there was sunni/shia divide in the city's footballing "giants" we'd have to think of a colour that rhymes with Allah or the Prophet Mohammed, peace be upon him, and hope that one of them conveniently had it in their home strip......

The real issue here is fascism, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism. We, ain't all the same.

Some of us say F**k alot.

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 1

There's nowt official about it. Which is a dam good thing.

Context mate. Football starts with an F for F's sake!!! Ask the great Lambini.

It's celtic and rangers who are being refered to as the boys in blue and green. Therefore it's firmly asserted in everyday loose glaswegian parlance that, we have no time for their pope or queen.

Perhaps if there was sunni/shia divide in the city's footballing "giants" we'd have to think of a colour that rhymes with Allah or the Prophet Mohammed, peace be upon him, and hope that one of them conveniently had it in their home strip......

The real issue here is fascism, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism. We, ain't all the same.

Some of us say F**k alot.

At no point have I questioned the use of the word F**k. It can be used to great effect in many scenarios both passionately and with humour. I also agree that criticism should not be suppressed and that we aren't all the same (in fact many Thistle supporters aren't the same. Some are practising Catholics, some are Royalists, some are both and some are neither) but surely we are able to counteract bigotry and put over our condemnation in a way which is both clever and non offensive.

I respect the views of those who say it should go, however I don't see fans ditching it in practice - it's a high adrenanalin number that gets belted out in blood-pumping moments. Of course I'd hate to see the club getting whacked for it being sung, although it would be huge shame as it is a rallying call against the heinous bigotry that's still practised by our palaeolithic cousins: bigotry that goes virtually unchecked by craven authorities that still deny it's the preserve of two fetid organisations. Grrrrrrrrr.

For the avoidance of any doubt, I'm a pro-hello helloer.

And what about Mary from Maryhill? Sexist offensive sh*te

It’s refreshing that there are some people here willing to raise the fact that sometimes we are out of order. Some people clearly see Mary from Maryhill as being light hearted Glasgow banter for the boys but in truth it is 100% offensive. Why is it deemed to be okay to sing about woman in this manner? I’m sure if we were singing about Blacks in a similar derogatory way, people would want to lynch those responsible. Please don’t come back at this with the usual ‘PC brigade are up in arms again’ garbage. This song should be thrown out along with the one that started this thread.

At no point have I questioned the use of the word F**k. It can be used to great effect in many scenarios both passionately and with humour. I also agree that criticism should not be suppressed and that we aren't all the same (in fact many Thistle supporters aren't the same. Some are practising Catholics, some are Royalists, some are both and some are neither) but surely we are able to counteract bigotry and put over our condemnation in a way which is both clever and non offensive.

If you don't mind the F word. And are in agreement that criticism of the pope and/or the queen, especially when one feels the need to associate their respective authorities with a game of football, is justifiable and/or sacrosanct...... What is it you take offence to in relation to the song?

Is it that you think that those who disagree with those standards and freedoms should dictate what can and cannot be sung?

It’s refreshing that there are some people here willing to raise the fact that sometimes we are out of order. Some people clearly see Mary from Maryhill as being light hearted Glasgow banter for the boys but in truth it is 100% offensive. Why is it deemed to be okay to sing about woman in this manner? I’m sure if we were singing about Blacks in a similar derogatory way, people would want to lynch those responsible. Please don’t come back at this with the usual ‘PC brigade are up in arms again’ garbage. This song should be thrown out along with the one that started this thread.

There is an element of that in there, is there not?

If you don't mind the F word. And are in agreement that criticism of the pope and/or the queen, especially when one feels the need to associate their respective authorities with a game of football, is justifiable and/or sacrosanct...... What is it you take offence to in relation to the song?

Is it that you think that those who disagree with those standards and freedoms should dictate what can and cannot be sung?

Depends on your definition of freedoms.I do think I have the right to protest about things I believe to be wrong but I also have to be aware of the responsibility of the manner of that protest and the consequences of my actions. I personally don't think I have the right to stand up in public and shout whatever the hell I want to whoever I want. Try standing in George Square by yourself singing Fk your Pope and Fk your Queen over and over ( without the safety of being hidden in a crowd of 2000 Jags fans) and see if people respond warmly to your ironic argument of anti bigotry.

• Like 1

if

Depends on your definition of freedoms.I do think I have the right to protest about things I believe to be wrong but I also have to be aware of the responsibility of the manner of that protest and the consequences of my actions. I personally don't think I have the right to stand up in public and shout whatever the hell I want to whoever I want. Try standing in George Square by yourself singing Fk your Pope and Fk your Queen over and over ( without the safety of being hidden in a crowd of 2000 Jags fans) and see if people respond warmly to your ironic argument of anti bigotry.

If i did and suffered harm, who's the bigger c**t. Me or my assailant?

Have been enjoying myself too much recently to start a serious thread but I think it’s now okay to throw this out for debate. ‘Hello hello how do you do, we hate the boys in royal blue...etc’. I have sung this song for a very long time now and it was one I used to sing with great pride as 1. It showed how we were distinct from the OF. 2. Its irony showed how quirky we were with a great sense of humour and 3. Probably somewhere in my subconscious it gave me a sense of being able to take the moral high ground as it demonstrated how we genuinely had no time for bigotry. However, times change and on reflection I now feel it is time we ditched this ‘classic’ for 2 reasons. Firstly, as other people have alluded to elsewhere, someone will undoubtedly wish to register a complaint. This will probably cause ourselves problems as a club and also give the other two the excuse of being able to point the finger elsewhere whilst playing down their own true bigotry. Secondly (and this is probably the contentious point) I feel we should stop it voluntarily because it is outdated, from another era and simply wrong. Even if it is irony, singing ‘Fk the pope and fk the queen’ just isn’t acceptable anymore and doesn’t seem quite as witty as it once was. The songs this year have been imaginative, hilarious at times and able to get the passions stirred, so I am sure the guys who have came up with these are more than capable of coming up with a new song which highlights how we are so different from the other two whilst winding them up at the same time. Thoughts?

Hi Gordon!