A Song To Ditch

Chicob

Aye exactly, it's a "fitba match" ....point out what this song has to do with football? I don't accept that such degrading song is "part and parcel" of the game, maybe in the 70's aye, but not now? Not when there's young lassies and kids coming to watch their team.

So no kids used to come to the fitba then? all the kids lifted over the turnstyles back in the day? utter nonsense....we might as well ban the tractor song that has nothing to do with fitba either!

There are great Thistle songs that I'll happily sing with gusto. There are others like those mentioned here that I have never sung nor ever will. As Willjag says, if it could get the Jags into bother or put off fellow fans, it would be good for us all IMHO for such nonsense to cease. If there are fans out there who would like to try to create new songs that make a positive statement about who we are and what we stand for, please PM me and let's see if we can get everyone happy to sing together as onethistle? Oh there's a good song title!

Thing is, and I'm in danger of sounding like an OFer here, but you can't just foist new songs on people and expect them to take off. Football songs are often short, quirky and spontaneous. Something like Mary from Maryhill has endured, while - and I mean no offence here - something like Thistle Do hasn't.

I really don't think we need to create a whole load of new songs.

Thing is, and I'm in danger of sounding like an OFer here, but you can't just foist new songs on people and expect them to take off. Football songs are often short, quirky and spontaneous. Something like Mary from Maryhill has endured, while - and I mean no offence here - something like Thistle Do hasn't.

I really don't think we need to create a whole load of new songs.

This

It has to be said that there are significant numbers of Rangers and Celtic fans who have shouted down the bigoted songs within their own ranks. For the first time ever it would seem that some effective progress is being made to eradicate Sectarian chanting at the fitba’. Perhaps within in a generation or two this societal scourge could be a thing of the past where it most certainly belongs.

However, this peculiar sectarian disease, most deeply rooted within Glasgow, remains as a massive problem and, therefore, the need for protest remains with it.

We’re Partick Thistle. We’re closer to the problem than any other club and it is completely natural for us to want to lead the protest until the job is done.

I can understand why the motion has been proposed. Having had an informal poll on here it seems that we are split 50-50 on whether to continue singing or not. This suggests to me that we feel a change is in the air but we are generally in agreement that the time is not yet right.

This song makes a massive statement on what this club stands for. It’s deeply ingrained into my psyche and my DNA. Only 4 happenings could put a gag on my vocals:

a) Personal death

B) Being arrested

c) The extinction of sectarianism in Scottish football

d) A mass consensus agreement on a change of lyric

If the last point were to come to the fore, the answer could possibly lie in our very own club badge.

Hello hello how do you do

We hate the boys in royal blue

We hate the boys in emerald green

The Thistle’s non sectarian

Leading by example, philosophical, still rooted in protest and a beefy punchline which intills pride. And could be sung in the North and the Jackie. I could imagine several thousand Jags fans giving it laldy, weans, riff raff and squares alike as they stick it our "paleolithic cousins" :thumbsup2:

Mon’ the Jags

:fan:

It has to be said that there are significant numbers of Rangers and Celtic fans who have shouted down the bigoted songs within their own ranks. For the first time ever it would seem that some effective progress is being made to eradicate Sectarian chanting at the fitba’. Perhaps within in a generation or two this societal scourge could be a thing of the past where it most certainly belongs.

However, this peculiar sectarian disease, most deeply rooted within Glasgow, remains as a massive problem and, therefore, the need for protest remains with it.

We’re Partick Thistle. We’re closer to the problem than any other club and it is completely natural for us to want to lead the protest until the job is done.

I can understand why the motion has been proposed. Having had an informal poll on here it seems that we are split 50-50 on whether to continue singing or not. This suggests to me that we feel a change is in the air but we are generally in agreement that the time is not yet right.

This song makes a massive statement on what this club stands for. It’s deeply ingrained into my psyche and my DNA. Only 4 happenings could put a gag on my vocals:

a) Personal death

B) Being arrested

c) The extinction of sectarianism in Scottish football

d) A mass consensus agreement on a change of lyric

If the last point were to come to the fore, the answer could possibly lie in our very own club badge.

Hello hello how do you do

We hate the boys in royal blue

We hate the boys in emerald green

The Thistle’s non sectarian

Leading by example, philosophical, still rooted in protest and a beefy punchline which intills pride. And could be sung in the North and the Jackie. I could imagine several thousand Jags fans giving it laldy, weans, riff raff and squares alike as they stick it our "paleolithic cousins" :thumbsup2:

Mon’ the Jags

:fan:

It's a pity there wasn't a fifth option that would gag you.... like the most important one: The Club have asked the fans not to sing it.

Again, can i ask, all these people who are so vocal from behind their keyboards, why did only a handful of you start it on the first game of the season, to then be shhhh'd down.... and why did you remain silent until the Morton/Dunfermline games at the end of the season when there was a bigger crowd around you?

Just for clarity, The club have asked the fans not to sing it.

Celtic stewards are targeting home fans when celtic travel, to even up the arrest figures.

Recently an opposition fan was arrested in their own ground, charged and spent the night in jail for shouting a political statement of support to a Celtic player (free palestine), the same player who had given him the thumbs up at a previous game.... the same political statement the green brigade were carrying on banners at a home game at the start of the season... i'm not going into detail and i couldn't give a toss about discussing the ins and outs of said statement, but to me, that demonstates the agenda celtic stewards have.

But the fact of the matter remains, a mass cull was attempted by all clubs a few years ago to remove this song, regardless of its meaning... it seems every fan in scotland agreed.

it seemed our fans agreed in the 2011/12 season it was hardly sung, if at all, in the old JHS singing section. again this season it was only really sung at firhill in 2 games.

Yet for some reason we are here, again, debating this outdated, waste of time pish as if it has some relevance to a match day at Firhill.

Oh the witty Jags. They've got all the banter. They're so cuddly.

I'm not having the best protest song in our repertoire turned in to a joke.

Can you imagine the faces of the police / away stewards when they hear us sing the first line. They'll be rubbing their hands. Now picture their faces when we sing 'and McNamara's Tangerines'

It'll be worth it for that alone. I think it's brilliant.

• Like 1

As previously stated, I'm all for keeping the song.

But changing the lyrics to some nonsense? I'd rather do away with it.

Yea either sing it as normal or not atall. No other sh**** lyrics and no more songs about jackie mac!

Id rather sing songs about our team & players rather than waste my breathe on that wee rat.

Edited by thistledave78
  • Like 1