Sod On Stv

jaggy

Interviewed on Scotland Today, he wants us to lay off McNamara & get fully behind the Jags. He says if we concentrate on McNamara it might spur on DU. I agree with his logic, but it ain't going to happen!!! I say give McNamara a roasting when he comes out the tunnel, then forget about him & get behind Archie & the team :)

I have to admit to not getting all this anti-McNamara stuff. Alright, I'm not going to be thrown flowers at his feet, but apart from the usual disappointment felt when decent managers move on i.e. MacParland, Auld and Lambie to mention three that have jumped ship in my supporting lifetime, I honestly can't get too excited about it. The same goes for United picking up our players. I'm afraid that if it ever was anything else(which I sincerely doubt), football in this day and age is almost completely mercenary.

• Like 1

McNamara conducted himself with a complete lack of class after his move.He completely disrespected PTFC,and therefore us the fans,on a number of occasions.He's spouted pish to the press and counterclaimed the club for a winning bonus he didn't earn thus disrespecting Archie and the job he's done.That being said its true he did a great deal of good work laying the foundations for what we have now and while I won't be cheering him when he appears on 3rd August he'll get no abuse from me.A good natured roasting would be an elegant response.

I have to admit to not getting all this anti-McNamara stuff. Alright, I'm not going to be thrown flowers at his feet, but apart from the usual disappointment felt when decent managers move on i.e. MacParland, Auld and Lambie to mention three that have jumped ship in my supporting lifetime, I honestly can't get too excited about it. The same goes for United picking up our players. I'm afraid that if it ever was anything else(which I sincerely doubt), football in this day and age is almost completely mercenary.

I can agree with you partly. A manager moving on and the same manager signing players he has already managed is hardly unusual. Same goes for a manager taking his backroom staff or assistant with him.

Where I find fault is the way McN jumped ship. Leaving a club who took a gamble and showed great faith on an untried manager mid season isn't exactly a classy way to behave. Had we been midtable with no hope of contesting promotion or no cahnce of being involved in a relegation struggle might just have excused his actions but of course that wasn't the case.

Then there's the way he must have engineered his departure. It is clear that United are struggling financially (in relative terms to them at least) and McNamara wasn't necessarily their first choice. After all Houston was on his way simply because he was on too good a wage. I think it was fairly obvious that Thompson offered McN the gig as he thought it was a cheaper option than Pressley and whoever else was interviewed. Just wasn't as cheap as Thompson & McNamara thought they could get away with. The subsequent wriggling by McN re his contract with us and the ridiculous counter claim showed him up in very poor light.

So with me it's not so much the jumping ship as the way he jumped ship that sticks in my throat.

Btw I don't think given the circumstances that I could ever describe Davie McParland's departure as jumping ship. Davie left on a point of principle, which is the polar opposite to McNamara's departure.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1