Epl Versus Bundesliga

Norgethistle

A couple of years ago I went to a Union Berlin game. They were, and still are, in the Bundesliga 2, and the standard of play was at least as good as the SPL (and that is being generous to the SPL). It was about 11 euros to get in (roughly equivalent to £9) and the place was jumping. Pilsner and hotdogs were being consumed like there were going out of fashion, yet there were still plenty of families in attendence and, in particular, more women than at any game I have ever attended in the UK. To cap it all it was a scorching hot day and Union scudded the opposition 5-1.

In short, it was excellent value for money and a world away from anything I expect to see in Scotland next season, as much as I am looking forward to it.

Edited by Guy Incognito
  • Like 1

There are some countries who just have a better way of doing things, Germany is a good example. Look at their industry, their transport, the distribution of wealth both geographically and individually, the structure of their political system, their electoral system, their diverse range of parties and governments. The country is run for the people by the people, Britain is now run for business by a small group of like minded elitists. This country is an absolute **** up quite frankly yet unbelievably there isn't any call for change or any other choices emerging (unless you live in Scotland).

• Like 2

There are some countries who just have a better way of doing things, Germany is a good example. Look at their industry, their transport, the distribution of wealth both geographically and individually, the structure of their political system, their electoral system, their diverse range of parties and governments. The country is run for the people by the people, Britain is now run for business by a small group of like minded elitists. This country is an absolute **** up quite frankly yet unbelievably there isn't any call for change or any other choices emerging (unless you live in Scotland).

Indeed. Their successful football culture is simply a by-product of all those factors you have mentioned.

Bundesliga is the best league in the world. Everything about it is brilliant. Five teams have won the league in the last ten years. Bayern do look very, very strong and could dominate for the next few years but the Bundesliga is the only big league in Europe where the richest and biggest club in the country isn't always guaranteed to win the league.

I plan to head over to Germany next year to take in a game and I can't wait.

Edited by northernsoul

It has only just reemerged as the best league. This year was the 1st time in 10 that a German team has won the Champions League.

I think every big country in Europe has had it's period of dominance.

It is just their turn and I don't think it has anything to do with their work ethic.

EPL wins on quality fayre. The truth hurts when Sportscene's followed by Match of the Day.

Bundesliga wins on value. Cheap as fake frankfurters on a dodgy Parkhead take away van.

Do you get to see Viking games Norge? I shudder to think how much they cost over there...

↓ The A to Z of Independence - Sorting myth from fact ↓

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-opinion/4341-a-unionist-lexicon-an-a-z-of-unionist-scare-stories-myths-and-misinformation

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

It has only just reemerged as the best league. This year was the 1st time in 10 that a German team has won the Champions League.

I think every big country in Europe has had it's period of dominance.

It is just their turn and I don't think it has anything to do with their work ethic.

But there is something inherently altruistic about dominating European football with a back drop of allowing the communities of these clubs to run them, making sure that everyone can afford to go and generally running the game for the benefit of the supporters (terracing, no battles with the authorities, free/cheap train travel for away fans, beer and decent food, etc.).

Britain, and particularly the English Premiership are just taking the piss out of the ordinary fans. It's £50 for Cardiff City fans at Upton Park on their opening game of the season for Christ sake. Celtic charge away fans £29. And we do this under the constant threat of arrest for standing up, singing and enjoying ourselves and being treated like we are a danger to society/.

• Like 1

EPL wins on quality fayre. The truth hurts when Sportscene's followed by Match of the Day.

Bundesliga wins on value. Cheap as fake frankfurters on a dodgy Parkhead take away van.

Do you get to see Viking games Norge? I shudder to think how much they cost over there...

↓ The A to Z of Independence - Sorting myth from fact ↓

http://www.newsnetsc...-misinformation

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Used to go and watch them but the quality is worse than the 1st division, there has been a price freeze for a few years tickets are from £25 to £35 and attendances are low due to every game being on the telly, and they have live games Friday, Saturday, Sunday (2 Kick off times), Monday to suit telly, the papers done a story the last season on Vikings attendance questioning the fact they stated it was X thousand and it seemed so much less, so the papers paid to count folk at the next game, official attendance around the 12000 mark, actual attendance 3400. A lot of the oil companys pay for tickets or are given them through sponsorship but can't get rid of them, plus if its a Monday night game on the telly on a cold wet night a lot of the ST holders never turn up

Quote 12,000 actual 3,400. LOL! That's totally ridiculous. Thought Thistle were bad in the old days, but doing the reverse, quoting 2,500 when it was really 4,000. I must say my whole impression of Norway is changing with your posts. Even the fitba' seems depressing!

I'm spending the summer months in the west coast of Ireland and I've been going to see Sligo Rovers. Similarly, I'd say "lower First Division" quality. Only 15E (£13) to get in mind you, so it's not too bad that way. Champions League in a couple of weeks, tickets up to 25E (£21). Playing one of your lot, Molde. What's the deal with them? Champions last season, bottom this. Very strange.

But there is something inherently altruistic about dominating European football with a back drop of allowing the communities of these clubs to run them, making sure that everyone can afford to go and generally running the game for the benefit of the supporters (terracing, no battles with the authorities, free/cheap train travel for away fans, beer and decent food, etc.).

Britain, and particularly the English Premiership are just taking the piss out of the ordinary fans. It's £50 for Cardiff City fans at Upton Park on their opening game of the season for Christ sake. Celtic charge away fans £29. And we do this under the constant threat of arrest for standing up, singing and enjoying ourselves and being treated like we are a danger to society/.

Couldn't agree more, its difficult to disagree with the argument that most football supporters are ill served by their clubs the football authorities and the governments. Particularity, as these are more concerned with perpetuating and extending their own existence than any real interest or desire in the views of those whose expenditure is the whole basis for the existence of football as a professional sport in the first place.