Your Favourite Other Country

Blackpool Jags

Got to be the Philippines for me. Admittedly, heavily influenced by the fact that I'm there just now, with family. Simply beautiful place, and a culture that in many ways gives us a lot to think about: hospitality and genuine concern for others. Families look after their old and young with great care, sharing what little they have to create happiness.

Some of the scenery is breathtaking and you can spend an eternity just taking in the beauty of the countryside, the beaches, the resorts and smaller villages. Hot weather, great food and drinks and amazing people make it irresistible for me.

We visited the local State Hospital here in San Carlos City (in the province of Pangasinan) earlier today, and I was humbled at the incredible commitment of the staff working in the Dialysis Unit, most of whom are either trained volunteers or earning a pittance for their efforts. Despite having next to no money, the local government constructed this small building and fund its day to day operational use. There are highly trained medical staff who work for literally nothing most of the time, save for what is made available to them by way of private donations.

The streets are bustling cacophonies of traffic mainly comprising tricycles (typically a 125cc motorbike with a sidecar) which will carry up to 11 or 12 people! Other vehicles include jeepneys - pre-war American military people carriers which are designed to carry around 12 but typically take double that.

Hospitality is always at hand and nobody is made to feel like an outsider, although being greeted as "Joe" by people who don't know you makes you feel a wee bit uncomfortable at the thought of being regarded as an American.

Those who have been here will understand what I'm saying, but for anybody who's considered a visit here but hasn't taken the plunge, I'd say go for it. Very low cost of living inc hotels and luxuries you're used to at home.

Big downside of the holiday is arriving back home the Tuesday after we play Snake United.

Monni Jags.

Japan. I'm here now (will miss the first couple of months of the season). I'd also cite hospitality, good manners, respect lack of vandalism, low crime rates, total absence of tipping anybody just for doing their job. Amazing mixture of ultra-technological and architectural futurism and traditional, ancient culture and places. Sure, it is competitive and stressful in some ways. It's certainly not utopia, but it's my favourite country (not even favourite other country!).

A tricky question - in travel we are all tainted, positively or negatively, by our fleeting glimpses and initial experiences within the countries we visit.

In China, for example, I couldn't breathe properly for smog and the food made me sick. But I'm aware that it's ridiculous to judge the vast nation on my unfortunate, but limited, experience.

The Faroe Islands however, WOW! What a strangely beautiful place. Every island is a mountain i.e. there's nothing inland. All settlements are virtually on a ring road on each island, meaning they're all, by and large, on the seafront. A lot of the terrain is other worldy, with some of the most unfeasible rock formations you're ever likely to see.

I've been twice and it's surely no co-incidence that I was knocked out on both occasions by the warmth of the locals. First visit, me and the girl couldn't find a place to stay in Torshavn. A stranger approached and advised that he knew a place "two islands up" that was available. One phone call, it was sorted. We hired a car and our personal new guide duly convoyed with us over a bridge and a ferry until we reached our destination, which was a lovely, friendly guesthouse in a stunning location, sea to the front, mountain to the back. Turned out the family run house was having a wedding reception that night down at the local "town hall" for want of a better word. They were taken with the kilt, there was some good craic, and before you know it, we were invited down to the celebrations. Well, what a night that was, everyone was in traditional costume, there was a fine ceilidh type folk band with some beautiful singers and comedians / storytellers doing "turns". Not that we could understand them - it was all in Faroese! Well, that party went all the way through 'til breakfast time the next morning, the day of the game. We'll say nothing about the game...

On our second trip to the Faroes we hired a car again. Decided to go and seek out a 4th Division fixture in a rural location. Road was a bit rickety and rockety and whaddya know, bloody exhaust split, and started dragging the ground. Decided to carry on since I was close to the destination and didn't want to be defeated. What a racket I was making. Like driving a four wheeled shotgun! The pitch was open air, no terracing or anything like that. I swear that supporters, players and ref all turned around to see what the feck was happening as our wee motor trundled towards them hitting 100 decibels! Sheepishly, we got out and skulked over to the touchline. Gets talking to some of the fans, At half-time one of them goes to have a look under the chassis. He says, "after the game, you come with me, I fix this". Sure enough, we convoyed a mile or so down the road to his place and he invites us in. We meet the whole family, three generations live in the same house. The wife is getting the tea ready and makes another place for two more Scottish stragglers! As she's doing that, yer man is under the car, fixing up the exhaust with some sort of temporary tie up measure that served us well enough to continue later on. We then sat down to what can only be described as a banquet, with soup and big slabs of bread, a big roast, then slices of Viennetta. It was fascinating to exchange views on our two countries. Our host was a tunnel blaster (essentially a skilled labourer) who made around £80K per year!

We took a fishing boat trip with a maverick madman who seemed to exist in a world of his own, ye olde worlde before health and safety. As sensible folks were ushered inside, he invited anyone who was brave / daft enough to hold on to rails at the rear outside as he was going to rev it up and we'd get an Atlantic splash. Well, I'm at the front of the queue for that sort of thrill - and it was a white knuckle ride. This guy also took our boat into narrow caves that you could literally touch from the boat itself. I swear you could hear the boat scraping rock underneath.

Despite the dubiety of Puffin Suppers in the chip shop, it's no contest... for it's people and it's ancient rustic charms, it has to be...

Faroe Islands # 1 :thumbsup2:

• Like 2

Got to be Barbados...what a brilliant laid back way of life....The bajans are so friendly once you get to know them.

Sunshine all year round..cheap food and drink

Been twice now and be going again next year..Can't get enough of the place..Hope to live there one day! :cool2:

Argentina. Buenos Aires is a brilliant city and there are loads of nice historic towns, Mendoza and Bariloche being my favourites. Really nice old architecture but a modern feel to the place. The birds are the best for me, not as consistant as Eastern Europe but a ridiculous number of ridiculously mad hotties, they are hotter than Brazillians by miles. Great wine and the best steak ever, the steak is just ridiculously good. Spectacular countryside although Chillean Patagonia is nicer than the Argentinian. The people are nice as well and football daft.

Without a single doubt ,it has to be Australia. Why else would myself and the other Ex-Pats live here for so long. We have beautiful Beaches and holiday resorts all around the 40,000km,s of coastline. We have more sunny days than wet, miserable damp ones. We have beautiful women , good beer and wine. We have good sporting facilities where we can play a variety outdoors and without fear of getting washed out. To Cap it all off we have a Football Team that has Qualified for the World Cup. :head_ball::fan::shakeshout:

Without a single doubt ,it has to be Australia. Why else would myself and the other Ex-Pats live here for so long. We have beautiful Beaches and holiday resorts all around the 40,000km,s of coastline. We have more sunny days than wet, miserable damp ones. We have beautiful women , good beer and wine. We have good sporting facilities where we can play a variety outdoors and without fear of getting washed out. To Cap it all off we have a Football Team that has Qualified for the World Cup. :head_ball::fan::shakeshout:

Was in Perth Australia back in 1999..say some beautiful places..in particular a place called Gracetown which was out of this world, .....the weather is brilliant but I found the people very hit and miss indeed..infact probably more miss.

I wouldnt rush back because of this..also they are lightweights on the bevvy :happy2:

Was in Perth Australia back in 1999..say some beautiful places..in particular a place called Gracetown which was out of this world, .....the weather is brilliant but I found the people very hit and miss indeed..infact probably more miss.

I wouldnt rush back because of this..also they are lightweights on the bevvy :happy2:

Lightweights on the Bevvy! Do you mean the beer was weak or were the drinkers weak, cos the Aussies here in Sydney can drink mate ! You are right about some of the Aussies being Hit & Miss though as it took me nearly a year to befriend my next door neighbour but once the barrier was broken we ended up best of mates. The Aussies tend to be stand o9ffish at first as you have to become one of them or else you are an outsider!

Day 11 here in San Carlos City. I've decided now I could definitely live here. Constant scorching sunshine, delicious very low-priced food and hospitality second to none. The place is stunningly beautiful and tacitly whispers loudly that all this can be yours if you want it.

Just travelled to the other side of town earlier, on a tricycle, with the wife and niece; we ate a large local-style breakfast with coffee and all the trimmings, then returned the 2 miles or so by the same mode of transport back to base. Total cost - approx £6.50! Last night we had about 9 or 10 family and friends round for barbecued chicken and rice, a variety of snacks, 3 cases of cold San Miguel and a couple of bottles each of brandy and gin. All told just over £25.

It's not just about the cheapness of living and eating well, as alluring as that is, the overall quality of life- inc the unmeasurable factors - is so high for somebody typically from the Western world and their resources. Despite Government improvements towards the average citizen in recent years, there is still much grinding poverty and you feel a twinge of guilt occasionally for having such a good time in their midst. That said, the locals love to join you for a bite to eat and a drink, and are great conversationalists with, on average, high intelligence and a fine working understanding of both their own world and those of others.

Aaaaah.

I would have to agree with Partick Panther. I've lived in Melbourne (the best city in OZ, and I've worked in all the major cities here) for 30 years and had a better lifestyle here than I could have had back in Glasgow. Obviously there are things I miss (mainly Firhill), but I've found Oz a better place to raise a family. I came back on holiday eight years ago, but after a few weeks was looking forward to returning down under.

There seems to be a South East Asia theme emerging here. Respect and culture must be big factors.

Sex tourists?

Zero culture though.

I loved Norway. It's so clean and civilised. You can really see the benefits of a progressive tax system. Sure, it's bloody pricey, but it's worth it. Bergen in particular is one of the most stunning cities I've ever visited. I explored the posibility of moving there but academic jobs are pretty sparse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...