Thistle V Airdrie

Guy in the work is an Airdrie fan (for his sins) and says they are playing Thistle tonight at the Glasgow Science Park. Anyone heard anything or going?

I too heard a rumour about this bounce match. I assume Balatoni and possibly Flannigan would be involved. McCall said he wanted another match to look at Balatoni.

Jeez, losing 3 first-half goals to Airdrie isn't good from any point of view! Sounds as though Hinchy confirmed why he won't be called upon, hopefully.

jeezo - the keeper makes (what sounds like) one error and he's hung out to dry by your good self ... nothing mentioned about midfielders losing the ball, poor control and poor passing leading to loss of posession but lordy lordy a keeper makes a misjudgement and it's a public flogging :thumbdown:

it's quite honestly the most complex position on the pitch but the easiest to criticise by those afficionados who don't really understand the complexities involved in that a single mistake could cost a goal ... us keepers have a motto - make the mistakes in training and bounce/friendly matches and not in matches ... seems this was a bounce game up the Garscube so not really a match of any consequence then.

Edited by gianlucatoni

Jeez, losing 3 first-half goals to Airdrie isn't good from any point of view! Sounds as though Hinchy confirmed why he won't be called upon, hopefully.

Having read the match report, it would appear that we were hardly at full strength. In fact, I don't think there was anyone in the line-up (except Cairny) who will be guaranteed a start on Saturday and when you take into consideration we were up against a "full strength" Airdrie side I don't think this result should cause us undue concern.

jeezo - the keeper makes (what sounds like) one error and he's hung out to dry by your good self ... nothing mentioned about midfielders losing the ball, poor control and poor passing leading to loss of posession but lordy lordy a keeper makes a misjudgement and it's a public flogging :thumbdown:

it's quite honestly the most complex position on the pitch but the easiest to criticise by those afficionados who don't really understand the complexities involved in that a single mistake could cost a goal ... us keepers have a motto - make the mistakes in training and bounce/friendly matches and not in matches ... seems this was a bounce game up the Garscube so not really a match of any consequence then.

Well as a goalie yourself what's you opinion on Hinchy? Not on past form, not as a goalie coach but now, as a player.

Btw your goalkeepers' motto with a bit of tweaking could just about refer to all walks of professional life. Still appropriate tho' unless the goalie in question's a trialist :)

Having read the match report, it would appear that we were hardly at full strength. In fact, I don't think there was anyone in the line-up (except Cairny) who will be guaranteed a start on Saturday and when you take into consideration we were up against a "full strength" Airdrie side I don't think this result should cause us undue concern.

I suppose one thing to be interested about was how the lad from hearts played. Losing 3 goals in first 45 mins doesn't sound good no matter who played, but agree it was not our full strength side. Also may help in the developement of the young lads in the squad and getting those who have slight knocks closer to match fitness. By reading the match report, it seemed Flannigan had a positive impact in 2nd half and appears we may be signing him today. Not seen the lad play yet but seems to have played reasonably well pre season, reading reports on official site. Also at an age of 22, then hopefully best days ahead of him.

Well as a goalie yourself what's you opinion on Hinchy? Not on past form, not as a goalie coach but now, as a player.

Btw your goalkeepers' motto with a bit of tweaking could just about refer to all walks of professional life. Still appropriate tho' unless the goalie in question's a trialist :)

keepers need a good run of mathches to build up confidence - would judge him after 10/15 top flight matches in the first division and not on reserve/training matches - doesn't help the confidence of any keeper in a squad if they are being constantly rotated - and would be looking at the full package like kicking from hand, bye kicks, confidence on the ball from passbacks, anticipation, positioning, mastery of the 6 yard box at corners, communication with defenders, distribution from hand etc.

keepers need a good run of mathches to build up confidence - would judge him after 10/15 top flight matches in the first division and not on reserve/training matches - doesn't help the confidence of any keeper in a squad if they are being constantly rotated - and would be looking at the full package like kicking from hand, bye kicks, confidence on the ball from passbacks, anticipation, positioning, mastery of the 6 yard box at corners, communication with defenders, distribution from hand etc.

I think we all know, or at least should do by now, why hinchy is at the club. He will not be our no. 1 choice for goalkeeper, but his coaching skills seem to be some of the best in the business. We all saw how tuffey improved while Hinchy was coaching him. Given how Halliwell had fallen out the picture at so many clubs since leaving Clyde, he will need a good coach around him to rebuild his confidence and hopefully get him back to how he was performing at clyde, if not even better. We also have two very young goalkeepers at the club, so their developement will be vital.

I've watched Hinchy in training sessions and he is very good, oh and no one at the club moans more, hates losing at five a sides !!

Hinchy should be judged at Firhill not by what he does on the park but what he does on the training pitch and the developement of the other keepers at the club.

:thumbsup2:

I was really getting at Hinchy's age and more importantly his fitness level. I'm of the opinion that the thought of a 10/15 match spell with him in goals these days would be of valid concern to most of us non goalies.

I caught 15/20 mins of this game last night just after half time. Flannagan had a good game (in the short time i saw) and created a few chances. His touches and control were a class apart from some players in our team. Very promisng I thought. Leys get this boy tied down.

Grehen took his goal well too.