Stuart Bannigan

Jaggy1967

Now that we have Higginbotham I think we'll see Bannigan return to that position. We didn't really have anyone there for the opening game, so Bannigan had to fill in. And because we've been doing well, there was no justification in dropping someone (although you could've went with Higginbotham intead of Osbourne, which I know some fans wanted). Now that we've lost, it gives Archie a chance to shake things up. He might even drop Bannigan altogether.

Certainly doesn't hide and sees so much of the ball. I'm not sure if Stuart had a bad game as you tend to mind the odd mistake and misplaced passes more than the straightforward things he does so well. I too think he's better in central mid but that means dropping another player that's been playing well.

Higginbotham looks tho' like he'll fit better into the role Bannigan's been playing. Don't forget tho' there's a past criticism of Kallum that he flatters to deceive and he's still to prove himself. It could be, tho' there's nothing to suggest from his three outings so far, that he's at his best as an impact player.

Probably best to keep that to ourselves.

Hardly a secret after his recent televised game against the Auld Enemy.

Bolton will be monitoring the progress of Fraser so they will have lots of opportunities to scout Bannigan and our other top performers.

• 2 weeks later...

A new 2 year contract & under 21 internationalist.

I'm thinking it'll take at least James McCarthy money from Hamilton to Wigan to even consider it.

*if true.

English clubs know we're skint up here now. Doubt we would get over 250k. More like 100-150k with a sell on clause. I think we would be stupid to sell him for that price but if he genuinely is good enough then we could get a decent sum of money if he ever sells on.

English clubs know we're skint up here now. Doubt we would get over 250k. More like 100-150k with a sell on clause. I think we would be stupid to sell him for that price but if he genuinely is good enough then we could get a decent sum of money if he ever sells on.

Aren't Hamilton on to about a million now McArthur has gone to Everton?

^ £3.8 million - that's a fantastic deal!! Congratulations to Accies on their negotiating skills. Both Everton and Wigan did well too. Everton got an extra £4 million from United and saved on Fellaini's loyalty payment. Wigan knew that and Dave Whelan got a top price for McCarthy.

There's no guarantees when it comes to sell on clauses. The vast majority of players that go down to England DON'T make the grade and are eventually released and end up back here on a free transfer.

McCarthy is a special case, the guy was a first team regular at 15 and was clearly an outstanding player who was always going to do well, barring any major injuries.

Bannigan is a tremendous player, and I'm delighted to have him, but he isn't in the same bracket as McCarthy I'm afraid, and assuming that we would get a sell on fee in that region is extremely optimistic.

Remember we had high hopes of a sell on clause for Harkins - we got nothing.

So, with that in mind, we should be looking to get the maximum amount possible for Bannigan up front, with a sell on clause added in of course.