Archie Headhunted?

Aldo81

Was just composing post on this topic in my head. Prompted by all the talk about building a long term playing style from the youth teams up.

The other question is, would he go? As a player he was tempted away by a better offer and it didn't work out. Perhaps that thought might keep him with us a bit longer. So which offer might he be tempted by?

I think Hibs is the only potential worry - which is why I want Fenlon to maintain a fine balancing act - poor-ish results but not so poor that he gets the tin tack.

I don't think Archie would want the upheaval or risk of taking a job in the English lower leagues.

I hope the Thistle legend that is Archie realises that if he carries on this way he's heading for Lambie status.

I think Hibs is the only potential worry - which is why I want Fenlon to maintain a fine balancing act - poor-ish results but not so poor that he gets the tin tack.

I don't think Archie would want the upheaval or risk of taking a job in the English lower leagues.

I heard Kenny Shiels will be the first choice for Hibs should Fenlon fail as their manager.

Shiels is very positive in regards to youth development football and this will be a big bonus to any teams youth set up that employs him as their next manager.

As for Archie for me it comes with the territory of a club doing well and this is what Thistle fans will just have to accept..

Hopefully the players and manager especially see this as a job in progress at Thistle and they see it through and hopefully the club can match their ambitions to keep them.

There won't be any danger of this happening for some time yet. Some people are tailor-made to manage only particular clubs, much like Barry Smith at Dundee. I think Archibald is similar in this respect in that he means a lot to us, but realistically not much to anyone else. Although obviously Archibald is dissimilar to Smith in that he's actually a competent manager. Threads like this are definitely premature, because you can be sure had we failed to reverse yesterday's 1-0 deficit there would have been a completely opposite, knicker-wetting thread in this one's place.

• Like 1

Hmm Newcastle tried that with pardew. Fair to say it ain't working too great.

To be fair to Alan Pardew, he has been lumbered with Nouveau Chateau's ridiculously narrow transfer policy. Joe Kinnear is now in charge of transfers and the only signing has been yet another Frenchman, Loic Remy on loan from QPR. Didier Deschamps will be their next manager with Gerard Houllier as Sporting Director. ;)

To be fair to Alan Pardew, he has been lumbered with Nouveau Chateau's ridiculously narrow transfer policy. Joe Kinnear is now in charge of transfers and the only signing has been yet another Frenchman, Loic Remy on loan from QPR. Didier Deschamps will be their next manager with Gerard Houllier as Sporting Director. ;)

Aw-haw-he-haw-he-haw

I must admit I am a big fan of a cracking set of Didiers.

I would think that if we come in top 8 (or hopefully top 2) then there's a big chance Archie will be tapped. Althpugh clearly a man of fibre (unlike others) it's too much to expect a guy with a managerial career in mind not to leave for 'bigger things'. The signs are that he's incredibly capable, and given that we're not exactly going to make him financially secure for life, he'll go in the summer if we continue to do well, and if tradition is observed, take Paterson with him. Let's hope that at that stage the board continue with their excellent recent appointments, yes even McNamara, and we're secure enough to keep / sign good players. And of course, have enjoyed the best season ever.

I would think that if we come in top 8 (or hopefully top 2) then there's a big chance Archie will be tapped. Althpugh clearly a man of fibre (unlike others) it's too much to expect a guy with a managerial career in mind not to leave for 'bigger things'. The signs are that he's incredibly capable, and given that we're not exactly going to make him financially secure for life, he'll go in the summer if we continue to do well, and if tradition is observed, take Paterson with him. Let's hope that at that stage the board continue with their excellent recent appointments, yes even McNamara, and we're secure enough to keep / sign good players. And of course, have enjoyed the best season ever.

The most important thing in that case will be maintaining the scouting network and most importantly, the style of play.

Whoever comes in should be told in no uncertain terms that the way we play now is the way we should always play, no matter who is in charge.

Swansea have done this and survived numerous mangers being taken by "bigger" clubs. They've shown that losing the manager is not the end of the world and the club can keep progressing in these circumstances.

The footballing philosophy should now be set in stone.

• Like 1