Striker On Trial

The Cup

Former Benfica and Portugal youth international Rui Ferreira has started a trial with Partick Thistle, the 21-year-old striker having returned to football after hanging up his boots following the death of his father.

Full story: Daily Express

Edited by The Cup

If he hasn't played for a while then you can't imagine he'll be ready for the 1st team any time soon.

Even with that he surely can't be worse than Baird.

Going to have to bite here.

Baird has done well coming off the bench and has set up good chances for his teammates. He won a penalty against Hearts that should have won the game. He had a decent first half against St Mirren, but for me he let his miss in that game affect him. He is not suited to playing the lone forward role. His ideal role is playing behind a striker, when played in this role for Dundee he did well after being played out wide by Barry Smith. He won first division player of the year for Raith again playing behind a striker.

If he plays in the right position and is poor fair enough but you are far too quick to judge.

• Like 5

Going to have to bite here.

Baird has done well coming off the bench and has set up good chances for his teammates. He won a penalty against Hearts that should have won the game. He had a decent first half against St Mirren, but for me he let his miss in that game affect him. He is not suited to playing the lone forward role. His ideal role is playing behind a striker, when played in this role for Dundee he did well after being played out wide by Barry Smith. He won first division player of the year for Raith again playing behind a striker.

If he plays in the right position and is poor fair enough but you are far too quick to judge.

He never played behind a striker - he played in a front two.

Surely when teams play a front two,seldom nowadays, one sits just off the main striker in 'the pocket' ?

Not really. They can take turn around :) . I'm assuming we're talking about Baird/Tade and/or Baird/Graham. My recollection was certainly Baird was the out and out striker when alongside Tade.

Repeating myself probably but I've got the impression Baird is out of sync with the rest of the attackers in trying to score from every opportunity. Normally no bad thing, and I've been slightly critical of the others laying off the ball instead of being more direct, but I feel Baird overdoes it. I think if he was less concerned about scoring and more attuned to assisting he could be more appreciated and indeed useful. Setting yourself up as an out and out goalscorer is gambling too much with your own confidence.

I don't believe our team is set up to simply judge a striker on the number of goals he scores. I'm not sure Baird realises that.

• Like 1

I can't find any solid information on him, he probably never featured for Benfica first team squad and perhaps only Portugal at under 17 or something.

Some Google searches found these... says he played for Benfica, shows him wearing a Benfica top and he is a striker, indicates he is 22 though:

http://www.footballz...or.php?id=84560

http://www.football-...7-22315-11.html

Edited by mhs

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.zerozero.pt/jogador.php%3Fid%3D84560%26epoca_id%3D136%26op%3Dzoomstats&prev=/search%3Fq%3Drui%2Bjorge%2Bferreira%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DzoG%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D977

Need to use google translate to find links but I think it is this guy - Rui Jorge Ferriera, born 1990 (22 years). Got rejected a deal from Swindon Town after a trial but appears to have been on trial as a forward midfield player. He got rejected in 2010, so has been a good couple of years out the game. I guess if you have real quality, and kept fit, you could make a come back. Some players are injured for as long - but you have to think it will take a fair while before he could even be considered and will of really stunted his development at a crucial stage. Maybe one for the future.

http://translate.goo...920%26bih%3D977

Need to use google translate to find links but I think it is this guy - Rui Jorge Ferriera, born 1990 (22 years). Got rejected a deal from Swindon Town after a trial but appears to have been on trial as a forward midfield player. He got rejected in 2010, so has been a good couple of years out the game. I guess if you have real quality, and kept fit, you could make a come back. Some players are injured for as long - but you have to think it will take a fair while before he could even be considered and will of really stunted his development at a crucial stage. Maybe one for the future.

I hope you don't mean a future One! :o

Not really. They can take turn around :) . I'm assuming we're talking about Baird/Tade and/or Baird/Graham. My recollection was certainly Baird was the out and out striker when alongside Tade.

Repeating myself probably but I've got the impression Baird is out of sync with the rest of the attackers in trying to score from every opportunity. Normally no bad thing, and I've been slightly critical of the others laying off the ball instead of being more direct, but I feel Baird overdoes it. I think if he was less concerned about scoring and more attuned to assisting he could be more appreciated and indeed useful. Setting yourself up as an out and out goalscorer is gambling too much with your own confidence.

I don't believe our team is set up to simply judge a striker on the number of goals he scores. I'm not sure Baird realises that.

Well, if they 'take it turn around' the point still stands doesn't it? :-) Second strikers nowadays usually operate in the space between the back four and midfield. A role where I think he's best suited. Anyway Baird was at Dundee last season.

I agree with what your saying. Our team isn't set up to judge a striker on their numbers of goals - but the fans certainly are. If Baird had put in his performances, and scored say two goals, he would be a much more loved figure around here and would get no where near the stick he gets. Baird will know this and all he can do to get on certain (seems like most on here) fans good books will be to score goals.

The link below shows the clubs he has played for. Apparently only played for Benfica Under-17 and under-19 team, then went to Estrela Amadora under-19 team and the last club he played for before coming to the UK was Lisbon regional club SC Lourinhanense but that was back in 2010.

http://www.zerozero.pt/pessoa_historico.php?id=461749&grp_hist=0&view=1

• Members

It wouldn't be a Partick Thistle forum if we weren't talking about the lack of a striker who was going to score goals for us. Even when Trigger and Marko were hitting the net regularly, we were still looking for a 'Big Striker@ to help out. Speaking of which, how's Mark McGuigan been getting on this season? Anyone keeping an eye out for him?

I think it is doing the fair minded Jags fan a real dis-service to suggest that they can only value the worth of a forward by the number of goals they have scored. When you look at Bairds performances to date not only has he not scored, he hasn't assisted any, he hasn't held the ball up, he doesn't occupy the centre halves to create space for others, he doesn't provide any set piece threat, he doesn't have pace to get in behind the back four.

He does fall over a lot, moan a lot, get caught offside a lot and in general to date not contribute to the overall team.

If this is being premature then I for one am more than happy to be proven wrong.

• Like 1

Not all facts, the stats such as goals and assists are the rest is opinion open to debate. I have been fortunate enough to see all his games for Thistle and from my take on the games this is a general assessment of his performances.

Others are free to disagree with me, however at the end of the day the only opinion that really counts is Archies as it's his job that is on the line.

He did win the penalty and for that we are grateful.

As I said when I entered this thread I don't think the majority of Thistle fans are narrow minded enough to write off a Thistle player after a few games just because he hasnt scored particularily

if they are contributing to the team in other

ways. It's the overall absence of a regular

contribution that most will find hard to take. We

are all free to judge what that should be.

Edited by Metz