Our Training Regime

read'n'yell

This has came up a few times over the past number of years, and has re-emerged with the Tony Watt debate in Belgium, but never discussed on this forum. It seems in Scotland, the standard training for a full time professional is three days a week, with one, possibly two, games every week. I'm no expert but this sounds to me about right, as recovery time is important to make sure players don't aggrivate small injuries and let their muscles recover.

However, it seems abroad that footballers are expected to train five days a week and also have a game or two. Are we as a country behind with the times when it comes to training and our dedication? Every top footballer puts down their ability to those extra hours they trained over and above the rest of their team-mates. Gareth Bale a prime example of making the most out his ability by training double sessions since he was a kid. By the sounds of it, our team go to the gym a lot to improve their physical side, should this time be incorporated into team training sessions? Does anyone know much about our training regime?

Our young team looks so far (barring Lawless and Bannigan in the past couple of games) to be fit enough for this level so I'm not questioning our training compared to others in Scotland. Perhaps this is why our national team has struggled to progess in the past decade, a basic lack of time and intensity in training.

Totally agree, as someone who trains generally 3-4 times per week around a full time job if your full time job is training you should be only having one or two rest days per week but with varying intensity not every day knocking your pan in. Especially with all the supplements and dietry advice/plans now available the recovery/energy levels argument has got weaker as bodies are recovering quicker.

Years ago I visited Feyenoord and their players trained twice a day, the morning session was physical work but the afternoon was all ballwork. It's no real surprise to me that continental players have better technical ability when they dedicate double the time of our players to their skills.

Yes practice practice practice as someone once said that more he practices the luckier he gets!

I would expect full-time professionals to train 5 days a week plus play games. Three days training a week is for part-timers. Why should clubs pay full-time wages to part-time players?

For a start, part time teams don't train during the day at all. The players all have day jobs.

Secondly, I think you'll find that part time teams train 2 NIGHTS a week at most - no more than that.

Full time players may train 3 days a week but add in a game on a saturday and a game midweek and that's 5 days. Also add in any overnight stays such as Dingwall, Inverness or Aberdeen.

For a start, part time teams don't train during the day at all. The players all have day jobs.

They could work night shifts. :)

Surely nobody is seriously questioning the fitness of our current squad. If T-Watt is a fair example of the attitude to training of the other 11 clubs in our league I'll be a good deal happier and optimistic about our prospects this season.

I’ve always been perplexed why so much emphasis is put on “fitness” training, as opposed to ballwork.

When you watch teams in Scotland, especially during the warm up, they all have legs like tree trunks. Strength and fitness training is in abundance, but hardly any time is dedicated specifically to ball work, even at a grassroots level.

After all, you can jog, run and lift weights all you want, but they in no way improve your ability with a ball at your feet, and that after all, is the most essential part of the game.