Sportscene

G Jag

As I hold hundreds of hours of old footage from Scotsport & Sportscene from the past, I see the biggest difference is that these days they pay too much attention to pundits & analysis rather than the main thing, which is and should be highlights and commentary. I love watching those old highlights when every match covered used to last around 20-25 minutes and the only interviews took place after the final whistle. The analysis was restricted to the main presenter in the studio and he would only waste a couple of minutes in telling the audience how good or how awful the match had been.

Today the boring punditry makes the show look too obvious, it does lack emotion.

Get it all on youtube, please.

:thumbsup:

Edited by H Wragg

Not sure why they had Rob McLean doing the commentary on Ross County game on Sportscene as he was at Parkhead for Radio Scotland. They got Bannigans name wrong when he had the shot, infact pronounced it as Balatoni. It is a terrible show, better off with the highlights on Youtube

As I hold hundreds of hours of old footage from Scotsport & Sportscene from the past, I see the biggest difference is that these days they pay too much attention to pundits & analysis rather than the main thing, which is and should be highlights and commentary. I love watching those old highlights when every match covered used to last around 20-25 minutes and the only interviews took place after the final whistle. The analysis was restricted to the main presenter in the studio and he would only waste a couple of minutes in telling the audience how good or how awful the match had been.

Today the boring punditry makes the show look too obvious, it does lack emotion.

So how old is some of the footage you have and have you uploaded any Thistle games onto You Tube or similar?

So how old is some of the footage you have and have you uploaded any Thistle games onto You Tube or similar?

Mainly from Eighties, 82-83, 86-87, 87-88 & 88-89 are the ones I have most from.

Not a lot from Thistle, I´m afraid. I think I uploaded matches against St.Johnstone at new stadium, Celtic 88 cup, Forfar 1-2 at home in the obscure era and possibly another one I don´t remember just now.

Just look for the Metz game and Thistle matches are uploaded in that account.

If anyone interested, here's the reply I got to my complaint, obviously doesn't address the substantive issue , but what can you expect in this country?

Dear Mr Rowantree

Reference CAS-2496679-3VC6BH

Thanks for contacting us.

Your comments were passed to the Editor of TV Sport, who has asked that I forward his response as follows:

"We understand your disappointment that on this occasion the performance of Partick Thistle was not discussed. The general feeling on the programme from the start of the season has been unequivocal in saying that Partick Thistle has been a breath of fresh air to the Premiership. On many occasions our pundits have highlighted and talked about the attractive brand of football the team plays, the management of Alan Archibald and the contribution of players – notably Kris Doolan, Stephen O’Donnell and Scott Fox. On 30th December, the studio panel also highlighted the signing of Lyle Taylor as a very shrewd piece of business.

Time is of the essence for Sportscene, with six matches to cover in 45 minutes. It can be a challenge to make sure everything gets addressed and we do our best to talk about the key events.

On occasion, however, the editorial remit of the show dictates that sometimes more general discursive points dominate the studio discussion and this was one such example. The pundits on the night – Michael Stewart and Kenny Miller – had strong feelings in regard to the comments made by Neil Lennon about the recent performances of his team and Kenny, in particular, was interested in taking the point further and giving his own opinion. As a former Rangers and Celtic player we felt he was in a unique position to contribute his own opinions. The festive period is almost as hectic for the production of Sportscene as it is for the football industry itself with eight programmes in 13 days. We would like to think that on balance over that period and the season so far, the performances of Partick Thistle have been fairly reflected.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your observations and we hope you continue to watch Sportscene between now and the summer."

Details of the BBC complaints process are available online at http://www.bbc.co.uk...ts/handle.shtml

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us.

Kind Regards

Michelle McGahan

BBC Complaints

If time is an issue why not spend less of it on inane drivel from the 'experts' and more on the actual football? Strange as it may seem to the Beeb we don't watch Sportscene to be told the blindingly obvious about what we have just seen from the likes of Stephen Thompson but for the football action.

Edited by Tom Hosie

Are they not limited to the amount of time they can devote to highlights hence the pundits? The pundits are fine if they are like Roy Keane and say it as they see it and dont give a monkeys about who they are upsetting, even against their old teams. Having current pro's like Thomson on is a complete waste of time. If he said anything out of line he would be up in front of the beaks in a nano second.

Edited by Lindau

Are they not limited to the amount of time they can devote to highlights hence the pundits? The pundits are fine if they are like Roy Keane and say it as they see it and dont give a monkeys about who they are upsetting, even against their old teams. Having current pro's like Thomson on is a complete waste of time. If he said anything out of line he would be up in front of the beaks in a nano second.

And why should it be limited to current and ex pros. Can intelligent comment on football not be made by other people? I'm not including 95% of this country's football press btw in that.

I suppose for once the reply wasn't the usual impersonal dross. Still doesn't address why the programme is mostly duff.

I guess stating the bleeding obvious is considered a virtue at the BBC. Why else would they tolerate an eejit like Motson babbling away for decades. "The ball's hit the crossbar! He's shot at goals and it's rebounded off the crossbar!! He was oh so jolly close to scoring but it was just too high because the ball has hit the crossbar!!!" .....It's ******' teleVISION, you ******' cretin and in any case we're going to see an instant replay about SIX times.

I think in general the standard of journalism at the BEEB is atrocious and with their editing (online in particular) extremely shoddy. However, I don't think that that is a bad reply on the basis that, firstly, they did reply (a result in itself) and secondly the reply is s reasonable reflection of the past and as well a highly personalised response and not just a cut and paste job which is the norm these days.

I agree with other posts about more footie and less talkie being desirable except when they are bumming up the Jags!

And why should it be limited to current and ex pros.

Mmmm where did I say that? My argument is if you get guys like Murder McLeod and Delboy Johnstone are they gonna say anything critical about the Infirm....in short...NO! Guys like Keane tell it as it is. I am all for fans having a say on programmes but that ain't gonna happen on Sportscene

Edited by Lindau

Mmmm where did I say that? My argument is if you get guys like Murder McLeod and Delboy Johnstone are they gonna say anything critical about the Infirm....in short...NO! Guys like Keane tell it as it is. I am all for fans having a say on programmes but that ain't gonna happen on Sportscene

I never said you did. Odd.

I think this is true (though of course they will give more time to Celtic than others even if there's wasn't a particularly interesting game). I think it also explains why we get several views of incidents repeated during the slot - it helps fill in the time and make the highligths seem a little more extensive than they actually are.

The current SPL deal for highlights is pretty rubbish. I'm sure in olden times you used to get 1 game up top which was something like 15-20 minutes of highlights (not always OF, in these days the likes of Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Hearts got a look in) and 5 minutes or so devoted to the rest of the games (I mean for each game not the lot of them). The longer highlights were supposed to be the game of the day but they usually were (though not always) an OF game.

my reply to the complaint i made regarding sportscene on 2/1/14

Your comments were passed to the Editor of TV Sport, who has asked that I forward his response as follows:

"We understand your disappointment that on this occasion the performance of Partick Thistle was not discussed. The general feeling on the programme from the start of the season has been unequivocal in saying that Partick Thistle has been a breath of fresh air to the Premiership. On many occasions our pundits have highlighted and talked about the attractive brand of football the team plays, the management of Alan Archibald and the contribution of players – notably Kris Doolan, Stephen O’Donnell and Scott Fox. On 30th December, the studio panel also highlighted the signing of Lyle Taylor as a very shrewd piece of business.

Time is of the essence for Sportscene, with six matches to cover in 45 minutes. It can be a challenge to make sure everything gets addressed and we do our best to talk about the key events.

On occasion, however, the editorial remit of the show dictates that sometimes more general discursive points dominate the studio discussion and this was one such example. The pundits on the night – Michael Stewart and Kenny Miller – had strong feelings in regard to the comments made by Neil Lennon about the recent performances of his team and Kenny, in particular, was interested in taking the point further and giving his own opinion. As a former Rangers and Celtic player we felt he was in a unique position to contribute his own opinions. The festive period is almost as hectic for the production of Sportscene as it is for the football industry itself with eight programmes in 13 days. We would like to think that on balance over that period and the season so far, the performances of Partick Thistle have been fairly reflected.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your observations and we hope you continue to watch Sportscene between now and the summer."

Details of the BBC complaints process are available online at http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/handle.shtml

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us.

Did anyone hear Sportsound before the game today. Listened to it driving up to the game and instead of hearing a round up and preview of todays vital games for all the premiership clubs had to listen to 30 minutes of Chick Young and Willie Miller arguing like two schoolgirls about Sevco giving their players a wage cut .`How much sh1te discussed by idiotic sycophants like Young does the BBC think the Public want to listen to.They ought too just label these programmes "The Sevco Hour" so that fans of real clubs can avoid listening to this p1sh

Did anyone hear Sportsound before the game today. Listened to it driving up to the game and instead of hearing a round up and preview of todays vital games for all the premiership clubs had to listen to 30 minutes of Chick Young and Willie Miller arguing like two schoolgirls about Sevco giving their players a wage cut .`How much sh1te discussed by idiotic sycophants like Young does the BBC think the Public want to listen to.They ought too just label these programmes "The Sevco Hour" so that fans of real clubs can avoid listening to this p1sh

They seem to be continually talked about everywhere these days. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Slightly offtopic but I don´t want to start another thread about this question:

Last night I was about turn tv on to watch the Cup highlights and discovered BBC channels have dissapeared. At first I thought the strong winds here may have caused some effect on the satellite dish but, strangely enough, ITV, STv and other channels are still fine. It´s BBC One Scotland, BBC two and , most importantly, ALBA that have all gone.

Has there been any kind of black-out on freeview channels over the past few days for non terrestrial viewers? Can anyone help with this?

Not that I will miss Nevin but ALBA game on Saturdays had become a must when Thistle were on. :(