Just In

javeajag

Balatoni is culpable for yet another goal. Needs to be dropped NOW. Starting with Balatoni is giving the opposition a one goal start. Really appalling - distribution awful, heading is poor, cannae tackle, poor positioning. Get him in the reserves until he learns the basics for a defender. If he plays on Saturday we''ll lose - simple. Stevie Thomson will go right through him.

Up front? Thought we had good spells when Taylor, Doolan and Erskine linked up. Agree with previous poster - start with them on Sat.

Elliott-awful. Forbes - one good moment but otherwise a waste of a wage.

• Like 1

Well gutted after that. I know we have most of our midfield out injured, but that starting formation was a laugh. 2 young guys as our holding midfield. Fraser is one for the future, but someone has to tell him to stop trying world class cross field balls. 1 out of 10 reach our man. Craigen was lost in the middle tonight, what gets me is the amount of 10 yard passes he fecks up. I know a lot on here don't like the player, but Kerr should have been in there tonight. Lawless started in the position he is most dangerous (in behind the main striker), but after 20 mins he was swapped with erskine out to the right. Erskine and SOD got over ran down that wing in that period. Then lawless got out muscled in that position. Craigen didn't seem to be able to come across and help, always 3 against 2. Higgy is a dangerous player BUT needs to beat a player twice or 3 times, before trying to cross, then when/if he does cross it, he over hits it most times. Think it is time to put a left footed player on the left of midfield and a right footed player on the right of midfield. We are too predictable. Forbes looked dangerous on the left when he came on. Taylor second game in a row that he was ineffective. Don't really know why we have started pumping high balls into him all the time, It doesn't work, the guy can play football, so keep playing on the ground. McMillan done alright for his first game back in months.

What exactly does Elliot bring to the team? What has piccolo done to be dropped?

Still think Archie has favourites that he will not replace or bring off, and if he doesn't see that it is detrimental to our chance of staying up, then it's going to cost him and us dearly,

The soft centre that was our midfield was just gobbled up by a very average opposition. All right, there are problems with injuries and suspensions, but not having a midfielder that can tackle consistently? The favouritism shown for so long to Craigen is inexplicable: he cannot tackle, often makes bad passes (although not alone in that), doesn't win the ball in the air, doesn't score, doesn't assist. Is there no beginning to his talents? Even Elliott (a similarly weak midfielder) seems to practise combining with SOD, although when he came on he looked lost away from the right wing.

My impression is that for weeks on end the midfield has been expanded to five players in order to cover the weakness introduced early on. To compound the harm, our most talented player, Doolan, has been dropped to the bench in favour of a more physical type of striker. (There is a real threat that he'll get fed up with this and look for a transfer to somewhere where he's appreciated.) This doesn't suit the team, since they collapse in midfield and then just panic in defence, punting aimless long balls forward in the (usually vain) hope that someone - anyone - will pick them up. At any rate, we saw last night that Taylor could be just as isolated up front as Doolan has been in previous outings; there was little goal threat until Doolan came on to the park beside Taylor, although by that time Taylor was dead on his feet (entirely predictably after the last outing). Erskine taking the ball past opposition players helped to provide some space and a threat in the box.

Unsuccessful managers usually defeat their own teams by convincing themselves of their own prejudgments instead of paying attention to the results: Archie very much looks like a man doing this - determined to play Craigen in midfield regardless of the lack of return. The team is paying for it in points. Happily, Archie eventually subbed Craigen this time: so perhaps the message that this league is delivering is finally getting through.

Edited by Fearchar

Couldn't face talking about the game last night, far too depressing. Looking back at the game and having viewed the highlights, we have many problems.

The lack of a natural, match fit centre-mid was the biggest issue. Fraser needs more games and Craigen cannot play that role.

We hold off and back away too much. We need to close teams down rather than hold back and jockey them back to our box.

There is a lack of shape, organisation and low levels of confidence running through the team.

Positives - Erskine was our dangerous player, created a lot of attacks and a couple of chances, he will get better and be useful - I see goals in him at this level. McMillan came onto a good match (after 25/30 minutes of utter crap). Doolan and Taylor worked well when both on the pitch.

Negatives - appalling defending again, mainly due to holding off and being so slow. SOD had an awful game, defensively and when pushing up (or lack of) along with his final balls. Lacked a spark up front, we seemed to be clueless often when we got to the edge of their box. No shape, organisation or urgency about the team. Craigen cannot play centre/holding midfield. Elliot is not even an impact sub - drop him completely, have another U20 on the bench even.

Bannigan being back will help, he will take some pressure off Fraser who had to clean up and work for Craigen all game. Sincy being back will help and I would swap SOD for McMillan, SOD is struggling and offering very little and needs dropped. Playing Higgy, Lawless and Erskine seems excessive, lots of creativity and attack but we aren't solid enough in midfield or defence to have three wingers/attackers behind Taylor.

I think Archie HAS to sign a solid, no messing about midfielder. There must be someone down south with some experience from League 1/Championship or around that level that we can loan. Missing Ozzy and Welsh is taking its toll.

Edited to add... Archie - please start adapting the formation and tactics to suit the available/chosen players and the opposition.

Edited by mhs
  • Like 1

Have to agree that our midfield certainly defensively just get swallowed up. That was a very mediocre st Johnstone team if it wasn't for may they'd b struggling in 11th of that I have no doubt. Sad day wen that lazy fat slob lee croft dances past McMillan like he wasn't there, the guy looks at least a stone overweight.

Erskine I thought looked like he'd never left but felt really sorry for him as he was trying everything but he can't do everything on his own.

I'm sick to death losing goals because players r afraid to put in a fecking tackle, balatoni is a good top end first div player nothing more.

Mair looks solid enough but felt sorry for him alongside balatoni and as for odonnell, yet another one like Craigen still living off last seasons glories, he's virtually stopped trying to take on a man these days.

We will finish 11th, we are mixing it down there with streetwise teams who know how to survive by the skin of their teeth, we don't.

However I'd fancy us against any of the 1st div teams tho.

Balatoni is culpable for yet another goal. Needs to be dropped NOW. Starting with Balatoni is giving the opposition a one goal start. Really appalling - distribution awful, heading is poor, cannae tackle, poor positioning. Get him in the reserves until he learns the basics for a defender. If he plays on Saturday we''ll lose - simple. Stevie Thomson will go right through him.

Yip, another debacle at the back.If Conrad is Archies pick before Piccalo or Muirhead then we must sign another central defender in January.Archie has made good signings in this window but we're still short .If there is someone available then the board must back it.Would like a defensive mifielder too but can't see either coming.

..........The morning after and I'm still numb from that perfromance from the team.

That was ugly from us. Enraged to have paid a total of £32 for that "entertainment" and 0 points against a workmanlike away team with 2 good players and a dreadful away record.

Lost count of the suicidal passes; St J should have had a few more goals. Worst performance I have seen this season - and I was at the Motherwell game.

McMillan looks like a university student on work experience at this level as he moseys about running his hands through his hair. Fraser was out of his depth but seemed to have been asked to cover the entire midfield on his own. Taylor disappointing but had no support until Doolan came on. O'Donnell is struggling badly. And....what is the point of Craigen and Elliott? I just don't get what they are on the field to do. Perhaps understandably. Erskine was the only Jag with sharpness and confidence to his play (not having been here till Monday).

Hope I am wrong, but 11th is now looking almost a certainty.

To compound the harm, our most talented player, Doolan, has been dropped to the bench in favour of a more physical type of striker. (There is a real threat that he'll get fed up with this and look for a transfer to somewhere where he's appreciated.) This doesn't suit the team, since they collapse in midfield and then just panic in defence, punting aimless long balls forward in the (usually vain) hope that someone - anyone - will pick them up. At any rate, we saw last night that Taylor could be just as isolated up front as Doolan has been in previous outings; there was little goal threat until Doolan came on to the park beside Taylor, although by that time Taylor was dead on his feet (entirely predictably after the last outing).

Spot on. Of all the decisions of recent weeks (which have been accepted by the fans because Taylor's been good - until the last 2 games), dropping Doolan so we can continue with our 'system' is the one which infuriates me most. Even if he's played out of position as an attacking mid/no.10, he is a hundred times the player Elliott or Craigen are.

• Like 1

That was yet another disappointment. I'm struggling to sort out all the thoughts in my head to decide what we were worst at last night.

The tripe act of Balatoni/Fraser/O'Donnell is probably my favourite at the moment. The amount of attacking momentum these 3 can waste with one-twos and frankly needless passes to each other is borderline ridiculous. How many times did they have a load of space, only to exchange 2 or 3 passes and invite the opposition on to them....then either knock the ball out of play, or straight to the opposing player?

The point of passing across the defence is to stretch the opposition with a quick change of play. When they can walk over and shut you down, it kind of loses the effectiveness.

I thought Mair did well, McMillan showed enough to say that he should be in at RB on Saturday, Erskine was more direct than anything we've seen this season (and was unlucky not to get a goal), Doolan needs to be worked into the starting 11. Craigen needs a rest, SOD deserves a seat, Fraser isn't fit, Taylor looks jaded already, and I won't comment on Lawless in case it offends.

Craigen and Fraser is too lightweight when you have 4 attackers in front of them, the space opens up between the front 4 and them, we let them run at us, at least one of McMillan, Balatoni or SOD would be scrambling out of position, we look like we will conceed.

With no Osbourne and Kerr clearly not up to the job we need to get a new player here. Bannigan and Fraser might be able to do this with a pre-season under their belt but right now it isn't the time. Muirhead is wasted there as well. If Archie wants to play with 2 players in there he needs to buy another.

How long is Welsh out for? The usual 6 weeks or longer?

I think Welsh is currently suffering from the same mythical increase in ability that Fraser did when he was out the team. I don't think he's the answer.

Believe me I'm no big fan of Welsh, I didn't get it when he became captain and I don't get the outpouring of love for him on here but he is an improvement on playing Craigen or Muirhead in that position.

Agree with Paulo, Welsh was outstanding at the start and hence our good form. I really believe that he is probably our best player (maybe Sinclair). I'd love to see Bannigan Welsh and Fraser all back in the team. A bit of strength and a lot of skill. Bannigan is best as one if two sitting - thought he played brilliantly against Killie - but he can play that centre of the three forward mids.

I'd have Fraser/Welsh then Erskine/Bannigan/Higginbotham then Taylor. Feel Lawless doesn't deserve to be dropped but we can't play lawless Erskine and higgy in one team. To start with anyway.