Artificial V Grass (Firhill?)

billko

Do you think Firhill will ever have one of these latest artificial surfaces put down to replace the grass?

Clubs are making / saving money from having these pitches and the latest generation pitches are excellent.

I always will go for a grass pitch over artificial but with the climate here and the revenue the pitch would create i think it will happen at somepoint.

This along with something located at the bing end to generate money is something that i think Thistle will need to look at in the future.

I think as the artificial surfaces get better and better then this is inevitable for all clubs of our size.

The problem is always going to be the initial outlay involved. If we could come to a deal where we paid for the installation via instalments then I think it's definitely worth a shot.

• Members

It's something we've discussed here in the past Billko, but I think at the time, the SPL membership condition was that you had to have grass (IIRC, Hamilton had to rip there astro up when they got promoted). I'm not sure what the rule is now. A lot of players don't like playing on it and I'm not sure a Club in our position at the moment can afford to lose potential signings because of the surface we play on. We have enough problems as it is attracting good players. I think I'm right in saying Osbourne had reservations about signing for us when he seen we trained at the Complex, but he was told that was only occasionally! This is why I don't think he'll sign for us again next season.

The benefits financially though, you can't argue with. The team could train at the Ground, the youth teams could train and play there saving the Club a small fortune on hiring venues. Just not sure it will happen though.

I think most clubs will adopt this, but not for a while yet. Maybe not fully artificial, but the hybrid weaves that are being implemented already for rugby are way ahead of what most of us would associate with 'artificial' surfaces. There is still progress to be made, and hurdles to be overcome - belief from the players being one of the main ones.

Money saving tips from a "Rangers" fan? :thumbsup2:

Hmm, how about Ibrox? That shower need any source of income they can get.

Auchenhowie????? or Murray Park or Aldi plains or Lidl Meadow or probably soon to be Barratt New build??? View

Thanks for the replies but what are your thoughts on the question asked?

Much prefer watching games played on grass tho' when you see the state of some natural playing surfaces I could easily be swayed. I guess you get what you pay for but what's apparent is some of these artificial surfaces have relatively short shelf lives.

It makes more commercial sense if you can rent out your pitch midweek. Something I'm not sure we could do nearly as well as small town clubs with no real competition can. I also hear that more senior players often struggle to both train and play on artificial surfaces.

The way forward may be as Paulo mentions the hybrid pitch. I suppose that may have been looked at had a more formal agreement with Glasgow rugger ever have been in place. But failing ground sharing I'm not too sure if the cost (and maintenance?) of the hybrid weave may put it out of the question.

No real reply as its a pointless question at this time due to present rules and regulations so not feasable. Lots of players dont like the surface to train on due to their own recurring injuries so at times reduces your potential signings.

Think the ruling has changed on this and the latest pitches (artificial) are allowed.

Players train on these pitches all the time

Did we not have a type of hybrid pitch when the warriors were here? Pretty sure Falkirk had one as well.

In both cases I would suggest they didn't work. Our pitch was a disgrace when the warriors were here. Falkirk's pitch was also in terrible condition by the time we won the league there last season.

You definitely can have an artificial pitch in the top division now, changed at the start of this season with the formation of the spfl.

The time is surely going to come when the artificial pitches are better to play on than grass. Not convinced it's happened yet though, the pitch at airdrie played horribly in the 2-1 game last season.

Apoligies stand corrected re rules and regulations however still believe any football should be played on grass. Any income stream at Firhill would be negated and probably take ages to make a profit due to the local proximity of other artificial parks i.e. Firhill Complex, Garscube and the Science park.

So all in all in answer to your question.......Grass. A better proposal is to play on Grass at the right time of the year i.e. Summer when it continues to grow then we give the park a better chance of recovery however that may be a differnt topic

The time is surely going to come when the artificial pitches are better to play on than grass. Not convinced it's happened yet though, the pitch at airdrie played horribly in the 2-1 game last season.

Watched a few games there this season and that one is certainly better than Alloa's, which was decent at first is now rank. Falkirk's looked to me like it played fine as did Forfar's last season. Heard Palmerston is really poor and that's a new one..

Certain rugby clubs have installed artificial pitches. So let's get Glasgow Warriors back, or West of Scotland, and have a dual-use stadium. Or a lovely new stadium home to two sporting clubs.

Worked okay for Swansea City and Ospreys and they still have a grass pitch. It seems the Warriors now get more home fans than we do going from the crowds I've read. Obviously they aren't up against Celtic and Rangers in terms of attracting neutral fans.

You definitely can have an artificial pitch in the top division now, changed at the start of this season with the formation of the spfl.

Arsenal, Cardiff City Aston Villa, Liverpool, Manchester City, Spurs, Swansea, Wembley and the San Siro in Milan all have Desso hybrid pitches so they can't all be bad. The new 4G pitches are very good but 5G pitches are now under development.

Most SPFL clubs cannot afford to have a huge asset that is used, on average, about once a fortnight. The Excelsior charges £275 for two hours of 11 a side. Just think how much more revenue we could get each year if Firhill had the latest 4G or 5G pitch. We could even rent it out to junior clubs.

The Warriors could come back too as they have suffered more costly postponements at Scotstoun this season. Saracens play on a 4G pitch at Allianz Park and they are 2nd in the Aviva Premiership, only a point behind Northampton. Cardiff Blues play on a 3G surface at the Millennium Stadium.

It's something we've discussed here in the past Billko, but I think at the time, the SPL membership condition was that you had to have grass (IIRC, Hamilton had to rip there astro up when they got promoted). I'm not sure what the rule is now. A lot of players don't like playing on it and I'm not sure a Club in our position at the moment can afford to lose potential signings because of the surface we play on. We have enough problems as it is attracting good players. I think I'm right in saying Osbourne had reservations about signing for us when he seen we trained at the Complex, but he was told that was only occasionally! This is why I don't think he'll sign for us again next season.

The benefits financially though, you can't argue with. The team could train at the Ground, the youth teams could train and play there saving the Club a small fortune on hiring venues. Just not sure it will happen though.

I heard the lad Osbourne has a long list of injuries and can see why he would be a little concerned Will but as these surfaces get better i think it's the way forward for alot of clubs.

The stadium could be used 7 days per week and then the first team for instance won't need to be bused to training facilities miles away.

Youth and community teams could use it and save some money on getting pitches for these teams to train on.

If you could also get something done with the Bing (sports bar / gym / hospitality etc etc) then you have a stadium that makes you money everyday rather than just home games.

Edited by billko

Did we not have a type of hybrid pitch when the warriors were here? Pretty sure Falkirk had one as well.

In both cases I would suggest they didn't work. Our pitch was a disgrace when the warriors were here. Falkirk's pitch was also in terrible condition by the time we won the league there last season.

Falkirk's pitch is new so will be a decent surface to play on.

Falkirk gave up their Youth Academy to join up with Stenny to form (Forth Valley Regional Youth Academy) which the SFA pushed through with funding.

The money saved allowed them to put down this new and latest spec artificial surface

The Airdrie pitch is an older spec and better ones now being put down.

I'm sure Chris and Colin Weir forked out for an artificial surface at Largs Thistle?

They did and now they only need to put one down at Firhill when they finally design that perfect surface :)

It seems the Warriors now get more home fans than we do going from the crowds I've read. Obviously they aren't up against Celtic and Rangers in terms of attracting neutral fans.

don't know what crowds warriers getting this season, but when at firhill i thought they regularily had crowds of 5, 6, 7k, as well as approaching near full house when playing edinburgh? and were therefore always getting higher attendances than us when they were at firhill?

• Like 1