Remembering The 96

yoda-jag

I remember coming out of Firhill that day, we had been sat behind the goals in the sun watching an end of season feel to the game, everyone had heard snippets of "trouble" and the game being abandoned, it was only when we were standing in Jaconnelis did we realise what had actually gone on. By the time we got home and saw it on the news the scale of the tragedy sunk in. I had a friend who's boys club was in a tournament in Yorkshire that weekend and was meant to be at that game, and all the parents believed they were at it, but fortunately they decided on another game, and in the days before mobiles it took hours for them to find out. The worry for those parents was massive and I can't begin to imagine how the parents/ brothers/ sisters/ friends of those who were at the game felt, or how they have coped with their loss added by the lies and cover up since.

Regardless of the colours you wear, your rivalries on a Saturday, every fan should be able to return home safely after a game. JFT96

• Like 5

Regardless of the colours you wear, your rivalries on a Saturday, every fan should be able to return home safely after a game. JFT96

This, to the power of infinity.

A question, who did the Jags play that afternoon? I was playing SAFL that afternoon, but I was convinced anyway that the Jags were away that day?

nor should we ever forget the heysel 39...

Why specifically remember that disaster? Why not Bradford, Ibrox, in 1971 and 1902, Bolton in 1946 or more recently Port Said? Would hate to think that you were trying to make some kind of point here.

One of the most gratifying things to have emerged in recent years is that these kind of threads no longer tend to descend into a ‘Liverpool fans were to blame’ theme. Most people now know the truth of those terrible events at Hillsborough.

Anyway, as football fans we should mourn the loss of life of ‘one of our own’ at a football match.

• Like 1

Why specifically remember that disaster? Why not Bradford, Ibrox, in 1971 and 1902, Bolton in 1946 or more recently Port Said? Would hate to think that you were trying to make some kind of point here.

One of the most gratifying things to have emerged in recent years is that these kind of threads no longer tend to descend into a ‘Liverpool fans were to blame’ theme. Most people now know the truth of those terrible events at Hillsborough.

Anyway, as football fans we should mourn the loss of life of ‘one of our own’ at a football match.

tom, i mention it for the simple fact that i was in brussels that night reporting on the european cup final for reuters. it had a profound effect on me. so, yes, whilst i also remember the ibrox disaster (when i was a trainee on the nbews desk of the sunday post) the heysel stadium disaster is very personal to me. i apologise if you think i was attemptinjg in any way to blame the liverpool supporters for the hillsborough tragedy

I was at the service at Anfield yesterday and thought the way Martinez spoke was exceptional. From where I was sitting I couldn't see him but knew he wasn't reading from his notes.

I realise Martinez has played & managed in the UK for the best part of twenty years and has excellent fluidity in English. But to make an address on such a sensitive grief stricken occasion, so articulately and emotionally without the aid of your mother tongue, is exceptional.

tom, i mention it for the simple fact that i was in brussels that night reporting on the european cup final for reuters. it had a profound effect on me. so, yes, whilst i also remember the ibrox disaster (when i was a trainee on the nbews desk of the sunday post) the heysel stadium disaster is very personal to me. i apologise if you think i was attemptinjg in any way to blame the liverpool supporters for the hillsborough tragedy

I tend to find when people mention the appalling tragedy that was Heysel in the same breath as Hillsborough they are somehow trying to belittle the latter even though there is no connection between the two; other than they both involved Liverpool fans. It amounts invariably to nothing more than a cheap shot, done to provoke some kind of reaction.

What happened in Brussels was truly awful. Symptomatic, in so many ways, of the football culture of the time but an utterly senseless, needless loss of life.

It’s a shame that will stain Liverpool Football Club forever. There was at least a modicum of justice for the families that lost loved ones at Heysel. There were convictions and jail sentences handed down by the Belgian courts.

There has been no justice, yet, for the families of those that died at Hillsborough. The 96 who died were let down on April 15th 1989 in the most appalling way by the organisation, or lack of, on the day. They were further let down by lies and smears that lay the blame at their own doorstep and at the doors of their fellow Liverpool fans. The Fourth Estate abused their position by gleefully spreading those lies and smears and convicting the Liverpool fans in the eyes of public opinion for 20+ years. They were so complicit in their obstruction of the truth been widely known that I find, to this day, it next to impossible to trust what I read in the press.

Edited by Tom Hosie
  • Like 2

I tend to find when people mention the appalling tragedy that was Heysel in the same breath as Hillsborough they are somehow trying to belittle the latter even though there is no connection between the two; other than they both involved Liverpool fans. It amounts invariably to nothing more than a cheap shot, done to provoke some kind of reaction.

What happened in Brussels was truly awful. Symptomatic, in so many ways, of the football culture of the time but an utterly senseless, needless loss of life.

It’s a shame that will stain Liverpool Football Club forever. There was at least a modicum of justice for the families that lost loved ones at Heysel. There were convictions and jail sentences handed down by the Belgian courts.

There has been no justice, yet, for the families of those that died at Hillsborough. The 96 who died were let down on April 15th 1989 in the most appalling way by the organisation, or lack of, on the day. They were further let down by lies and smears that lay the blame at their own doorstep and at the doors of their fellow Liverpool fans. The Fourth Estate abused their position by gleefully spreading those lies and smears and convicting the Liverpool fans in the eyes of public opinion for 20+ years. They were so complicit in their obstruction of the truth been widely known that I find, to this day, it next to impossible to trust what I read in the press.

Whilst of course accepting and mourning the loss caused by these other tragedies, they did, not to the best of my knowledge involve the apparatus of the state and the press in a deliberate attempt not only to smear the victims and shift the guilt of thers onto their shoulders. In addtion neither did they involve a mass cover up and falsification of records to male the victims conform to the prevailing political narrative of the day.

Unfortunately, it is probably doubtful if we will ever find out the full scale, of the complicity of the Thatcher government in the events as they unfolded. I suspect that when they finally emerge at most the giult will in all likelihood be of the Henry II variety ( i.e. who will rid me of this troublesome priest?).

as i said, tom, i was not trying to belittle hillsborough in any way. i accept that you find the two tragedies unconnected save for the fact they both involved liverpool fans; as someone who witnessed the heysel tragedy, however, i simply can not remember one without reliving the other.

as i said, tom, i was not trying to belittle hillsborough in any way. i accept that you find the two tragedies unconnected save for the fact they both involved liverpool fans; as someone who witnessed the heysel tragedy, however, i simply can not remember one without reliving the other.

When you think of Heysel do you automatically think of Hillsborough or just the other way about?

SHAME on those POLICEMEN and POLITICIANS who covered up. DIRTY ROTTEN LIARS.

SHAME on the SUN for betting that "bullsh*t baffles brains". DIRTY ROTTEN LIARS.

Thanks to those cretins, the Hillsborough families are still crying out for justice 25 years on. It WILL come.

As Roberto Martinez pointed out in his speech, "they took on the wrong city".

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel
  • Like 6

V poignant indeed. Had a scouse mate who'd been at hillsborogh that day, went to lot of l'pool games with him in the 90s subsequently, and also lived in sheffield as a student between 89 and 92, and so took a big interest in the shockingness of what happened. The cover ups etc, no doubt abetted by the then government and associated scummy media, have made it almost unreal at times. Fair play to dignified folk like Dalglish and the Hicks guy for keeping it about the families and hopefully final justice. Sorry, all a bit mornid.