Green Brigade Message To Leigh Griffiths

ian_mac

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-lennon-comments-celtic-fans-3468489?plckFindCommentKey=CommentKey%3A1b8ec3cb-8c3e-47bb-a101-5abbdab59d3b&plcktb=M1EdWWwDY0NwemZdagwkDw2

Fair play to them for letting the boy know that his behaviour has been unacceptable.

However, surely the message also applies to their own members who like to trash stadiums in the name of the club?

I would imagine the thinking behind that would be that Griffiths utterances were of a racist and antirefugee nature which would be at odds with their 'left-wing' values and at odds with their reading of Celtics origins as an immigrant welfare organisation.

Edited by mrD

I would imagine the thinking behind that would be that Griffiths utterances were of a racist and antirefugee nature which would be at odds with their 'left-wing' values and at odds with their reading of Celtics origins as an immigrant welfare organisation.

Let's deal in facts about Celtic.

Celtic stopped being charitable organisation before the end of the 19th century. Brother Walfrid walked away from the club because they decided to start making money. Nothing wrong with that.

But the sanctimonious pish that Celtic fans come out with about still holding those values is utter nonsense.

As an organisation, Celtic are about as corporate as you could get. Their morals are no better or worse than any other corporate entity. What's left of the Irish heritage is used by the club purely for marketing and promotional purposes. Much in the same way Rangers have turned remembrance sunday into a annual war rally.

Celtic were happy to appoint John Reid, the war criminal, as chairman. They also had absolutely no interest in becoming a living wage employer.

• Like 4

Celtic stopped being charitable organisation before the end of the 19th century. Brother Walfrid walked away from the club because they decided to start making money. Nothing wrong with that.

But the sanctimonious pish that Celtic fans come out with about still holding those values is utter nonsense.

As an organisation, Celtic are about as corporate as you could get. Their morals are no better or worse than any other corporate entity. What's left of the Irish heritage is used by the club purely for marketing and promotional purposes. Much in the same way Rangers have turned remembrance sunday into a annual war rally.

Celtic were happy to appoint John Reid, the war criminal, as chairman. They also had absolutely no interest in becoming a living wage employer.

All of this is true, although in fairness to the Celtic support (or a vociferous section of them anyway) they were less than pleased with the appointment of John Reid.

Edited by Guy Incognito

Don't think your post would be particularly controversial amongst such groupings of celtic fans. I think what they would say is that groupings like themselves are custodians of the 'true' values of celtic football club which are at odds with the club since it became the uber-professionalised outfit they have become today. They'd also probably point to the fact that they held some protests when John Reid became the chairman as an articulation of their 'celtic minded' values. The fact that they are a group of a couple of hundred at most probably doesn't lend credibility to them being representatives of the generality of the celtic support mind you.

Nevertheless i'm interested in your conflation with celtic as a buisness with the values of their fans. Would you be as little nuanced in your discussions around issues around PTFC and its support?

Edited by mrD

All of this is true, although in fairness to the Celtic support (or a vociferous section of them anyway) they were less than pleased with the appointment of John Reid.

There is not really any place for politics in modern football support really anyway. At best a seemingly poltical slant amongst a fan base can only serve as a nice piece of authenticity towards a branding of a football club imo. Its a good way of extending markets through 'grassroots' linkages of signfying chains eg. a customer that likes the brand of rangers, might like the brands of chelsea, real madrid, and so on, and on the 'other side' we have celtic, barca, etc.... The interesting discussion to have would be about how sucessfull celtic football club have managed to do that over the years, which imo the green brigade have been active agents in the development of such a brand.

Edited by mrD
  • Like 1

Nevertheless i'm interested in your conflation with celtic as a buisness with the values of their fans. Would you be as little nuanced in your discussions around issues around PTFC and its support?

Out of the 2 clubs, which one has been letting in under 16s free of charge for the last half decade? It certainly isn't the one started by Brother Walfrid.

There are things wrong at our club, I don't dispute that.

But many Celtic fans still think of their club as beacon of light that can do no wrong and is all about providing for the descendants of Irish immigrants. It hasn't been that since before 1900. That's my point.

Edited by ian_mac
  • Like 1

Out of the 2 clubs, which one has been letting in under 16s free of charge for the last half decade? It certainly isn't the one started by Brother Walfrid.

There are things wrong at our club, I don't dispute that.

But many Celtic fans still think of their club as beacon of light that can do no wrong and is all about providing for the descendants of Irish immigrants. It hasn't been that since before 1900. That's my point.

Absolutly, PTFC have definately been way ahead in terms of doing stuff like that, and much harder for a club with such little revenue to absorb the costs of such policies. It would be really good if someone was to write a book debunking the celtic narrative, fed up hearing about that shit and setting celtic fans i know straight about 'their history' wish someone would just write it down man!!

One possible criticism of the seemingly uniqueness of the origins of celtic football clubs as a unique welfare orientated organisation would be around the fact that a singificant amount of what became english professional football clubs were started as part of the 'muscular christianity' movement which provided a lot of welfare for unfortunates in the 19th century. I think Everton were one team that came from such origins....Not to mention that celtic were just one of many clubs in scotland that was set up as a charitable organisation of the irish poor, i mean apart from the obvious Hibs, there were tons others such as dumbarton harp. Once one takes a survey of the origins of football then its pretty standard fare that clubs were intertwined with social welfare issues.

Just about to finish my degree, im open to offers from partick thistle to fund me for a phd to undertake such a project on challenging such romantisied bullshit narratives - if they so wish!!

Edited by mrD
  • Like 1

One possible criticism of the seemingly uniqueness of the origins of celtic football clubs as a unique welfare orientated organisation would be around the fact that a singificant amount of what became english professional football clubs were started as part of the 'muscular christianity' movement which provided a lot of welfare for unfortunates in the 19th century. I think Everton were one team that came from such origins....Not to mention that celtic were just one of many clubs in scotland that was set up as a charitable organisation of the irish poor, i mean apart from the obvious Hibs, there were tons others such as dumbarton harp. Once one takes a survey of the origins of football then its pretty standard fare that clubs were intertwined with social welfare issues.

Just about to finish my degree, im open to offers from partick thistle to fund me for a phd to undertake such a project on challenging such romantisied bullshit narratives - if they so wish!!

Your contributions are far too semsible, I'd guess the only funding you get that would be related to Firhill would be a deconstruction of the pies there!

• Like 1

Wonder if they will put a message up for Stokes??

They won't have seen him as doing anything wrong.

I'd imagine that's what the Green Brigade meant by their banner last weekend. Stokes on stage doing IRA songs would've made them proud.

Problem they have with Griffiths is he was singng about Hearts and Hearts players not the IRA.

Not behaviour becoming of a Celtic player in the eyes of the Green Brigade.