U20's

billko

Heard the rules are changing to allow 6 overage players to play now at U20's (1 keeper and 5 outfield players)

It might even be known as the "Development League"

Managers Association wanted a Reserve League to replace 20's and this apparently is the compromise.

sorry but under 20's should be for under 20's this is where we (Scottish football) went wrong before, and not what we are trying to do at Thistle, this needs to be stopped.

The managers wanted a change as they didn't think the 20's was working

They had no platform for the players not in the first team for getting decent competitive gametime.

This way it will mean young players get to come up against seasoned pros whch might actually be better for their own development.

Not all teams will use up the quota of overage players in their team and will down to each individual club to use it as they see fit.

Some clubs play in a 19's League and Cup Comp and maybe this is an option for Thistle to also get involved in.

Would be OK if we had an under 19s side to make sure we could give more young players a chance. Still not ideal as some players might get caught between age groups. Might have been better to have started something like a reserve league proper and keeping under 20s teams (but allowing use of under 20s in reserve team to give experience). In fact you wonder why they didn't just do that?

Were some clubs wanting to abolish under 20s? That would suggest we have a split with some teams keen to have full youth development and other clubs more interested in having as many experienced players as possible so needing a reserve team more. It would be interesting to know who were for dropping under 20s altogether.

Edited by Mr Bunny

To be quite blunt the managers shouldn't have ANY input into this. How many of those proposing this will be sacked before next season is even finished? They will by nature want what's good for their individual club and to be truthful it's managers that have over the years been part responsible for the sorry state of Scottish football.

What they're proposing helps further the cause of journeymen footballers who should find their own level and not at the exclusion of developing players. I thought the logical outcome should either have been a one off U21s league this season coming or a five player tolerance to take into account those just over the 20s threshold.

It'll take a brave manager to buck the trend and not stock his squad almost entirely with older "league experienced" players to the detriment of potential. Basically clubs like ourselves could be forced into releasing more youngsters just at the time when they're finally developing into professional footballers.

In other words maybe as many as three or four U20s per club could end up learning their trade in the lower leagues without the benefit of full time training. Conversely three or four journeymen who should probably be playing in the lower leagues will remain squad players to the detriment of the youngsters.

The idea that managers input requires even a compromise.set up is ludicrous. Arse of elbow stuff once again.

Think it was proposed to scrap 20's introduce reserve league and have more teams involved with the 19's league and cup competitions.

Yesterday seen Celtic beat Ayr Utd in the U19's Cup Final 2-1 (AET) with Celtic fielding 1 x U18, 6 x U17 and 4 x U16's

7 of their U17's were also away with Scotland but Ayr Utd also had 16yr olds and a 15 yr old in their team, so great experience for all these boys.

U19's would give boys the next step up on the ladder after 17's with others able to jump to 20's and get to play against senior players and against the best of the youth players at other teams.

Most teams now are relying on youth and developing their own and i think this set up will work better.

• 3 weeks later...

There was an article in yesterdays Sunday Mail interviewing Peter McDonald who was talking about his work with Dundee FC and also his role as Coach with the Thistle Weir under 17's. Thoroughly enjoys his coaching and believes we have a great youth training academy. Last year he got permission from John Brown to do the coaching with Partick Thistle as well as play for Dundee. He is awaiting a response from Paul Hartley as to whether he is allowed to do the same thing again this year.

There was an article in yesterdays Sunday Mail interviewing Peter McDonald who was talking about his work with Dundee FC and also his role as Coach with the Thistle Weir under 17's. Thoroughly enjoys his coaching and believes we have a great youth training academy. Last year he got permission from John Brown to do the coaching with Partick Thistle as well as play for Dundee. He is awaiting a response from Paul Hartley as to whether he is allowed to do the same thing again this year.

The difference this year is that both Thistle and Dundee are in the same league but i personally don't see a problem with that.

You want good coaches at the club and hopefully he is able to continue with the 17's

Edited by billko

The difference this year is that both Thistle and Dundee are in the same league but i personally don't see a problem with that.

You want good coaches at the club and hopefully he is able to continue with the 17's

well if you want good coaches at the club, get rid of peaso and allison.peaso just a puppet,not got a say in what happens,and allison has no man management skills,and that to be the head of youth just does'nt work.IMO.

well if you want good coaches at the club, get rid of peaso and allison.peaso just a puppet,not got a say in what happens,and allison has no man management skills,and that to be the head of youth just does'nt work.IMO.

I can't comment on Peter's coaching skills but as a player still playing at the high end of Scottish football it's surely got to be a good thing for Thistle's youth players to learn things from him.

No doubt he also has the relevant qualifications needed for being a coach at the Academy and not just a puppet which is a bit harsh to say that.

Scott Allison is a well respected figure in the game and think Thistle are lucky to have him as Head of Youth

Man management skills?

I can't say whether he lacks this skill or not but i do know he know's the game of football inside out and how the game should be played and i personally would much rather Thistle had someone with his philosophy on football running the youth side of things than some of the other dinosaurs who are still in key positions within the youth structure of Scottish football.

Hope you don't mind me asking but did you know someone or have a son maybe who was releasd from the system at 17's last season who was coached by Scott and Peter?

Edited by billko

I can't comment on Peter's coaching skills but as a player still playing at the high end of Scottish football it's surely got to be a good thing for Thistle's youth players to learn things from him.

No doubt he also has the relevant qualifications needed for being a coach at the Academy and not just a puppet which is a bit harsh to say that.

Scott Allison is a well respected figure in the game and think Thistle are lucky to have him as Head of Youth

Man management skills?

I can't say whether he lacks this skill or not but i do know he know's the game of football inside out and how the game should be played and i personally would much rather Thistle had someone with his philosophy on football running the youth side of things than some of the other dinosaurs who are still in key positions within the youth structure of Scottish football.

Hope you don't mind me asking but did you know someone or have a son maybe who was releasd from the system at 17's last season who was coached by Scott and Peter?

lets just say i have watched and surveyed and imo the both of them will waste more players with the development which they will incorporate.and i use the word development very scarcely.you will see my friend.be prepared.

lets just say i have watched and surveyed and imo the both of them will waste more players with the development which they will incorporate.and i use the word development very scarcely.you will see my friend.be prepared.

If you really are a Thistle fan then you ought to be getting in touch with the Thistle management with your evidence as obviously if you are correct, they will damage player development. Of course there are a couple of ifs and an ought in that statement.

My son is not at that age group yet (17's) but has had some training sessions from Scott and they have been very good sessions so i don't see a problem with training methods.

The teams will mainly play the system the first team play with regards to the formation set out so that comes from the manager and not the HOY

My lad has been involved in the system 2 yrs now and it's night and day from the first year to the second year where this Academy is at just now.

The investment from the Weirs has allowed Thistle to have a very professional set up that will not only attract players of a high standard to come into the club, but also good coaches will want to be a part of the set up.

The boys at the beginning of their Thistle journey at U11/U12's etc might gain the most from it though and folk at the older age groups probably will miss out as the Academy improves in all areas over the next few years

The thing is not everyone will like or agree with a coaches methods and all coaches will have their own views on players which may differ from another coaches view on that player.

I still believe though Scott is in it to develop a more technical player at Thistle and wish all the age groups had more time with him taking more coaching sessions.throughout the Academy.

If you are talking about wasting players with the development that they will incorporate i would say this argument could be thrown at any club in Scotland.

Not many boys make it at any club but i would stick my neck out and say Thistle will produce more than most of them in the future.

Look at Rangers who have spent an absolute fortune on youth players in the past with the vast majority of them not even part of the plans of that club anymore

That's what you call a HOY who wastes players development and Thistle are fortunate to have someone who is the opposite of this (imo) and i think the next few years will prove that.

Edited by billko
  • Like 1