Close Season Quiz 2014

partickthedog

Derek Johnstone it is, well done.

Not that his contribution at Firhill had much bearing on the matter, it has to be said...

There are also four former Thistle Managers in the Scottish Football Hall of Fame: David Meiklejohn, Bertie Auld, Scot Symon and, that man again, Derek Johnstone.

Over to you jaggy...

I was hoping I was wrong Lols. Ok, I'll have a think and post a question later

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty confident last answer was correct so will keep going on similar theme.

A year after 9/11, we again faced Berwick Rangers away in an early season cup tie. What was the score that night, who were the two scorers and who made a rare cameo appearance in the second half?

Pretty confident last answer was correct so will keep going on similar theme.

A year after 9/11, we again faced Berwick Rangers away in an early season cup tie. What was the score that night, who were the two scorers and who made a rare cameo appearance in the second half?

You were correct. I was at both games mentioned and probably mix up scores & scores in both games. Did Richard Huxford(?) score in one of them? I remember we wore the silver strip in one of games. Cameo appearance, Murray McDermott?

You were correct. I was at both games mentioned and probably mix up scores & scores in both games. Did Richard Huxford(?) score in one of them? I remember we wore the silver strip in one of games. Cameo appearance, Murray McDermott?

I was not at the first game (not due to 9/11 but due to a rather more mundane school parents' night), so deliberately avoided setting a question on it. Nevertheless I am sure that Murray McDermott scored that night in a 2-0 victory, though I cannot recall the other scorer (do not think it was the unforgettable Richard Huxford, but I could be wrong. Might it have been Gerry Britton?).

I am on firmer ground with the second game which I did attend. Martin Hardie scored a double and Jamie Buchan the third in a 3-0 victory. Cameo appearance by Chic Charnley! He was mince.

Tue-11-Sep-2001

League Cup 1st Round

Berwick Rangers [a] W3-0

scorers: Danny Lennon, Scott McLean, Murray McDowell

att: 416

Tue-24-Sep-2002

League Cup 2nd Round

Berwick Rangers [a] W3-0

scorers: Martin Hardie (2), Jamie Buchan

att: 563

Are you sure about that? In 2002? I don't recall it at all

Chic came on for Paul Walker with 12 mins to go - Jags had been sitting 3 up since 35 mins.

It was Chic's penultimate competitive appearance for the Jags.

He made his final bow at our end of season party at Easter Road, exactly 8 months later. Jags had just went 3-2 up and he came on for Martin Hardie with 3 minutes to play.

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel

Sorry work computer cannot do quotes. Replying to TJR post 43 re Berwick Rangers v Thistle.

Thank you Mr TJR. Pleased to note that my 2002 recollection was spot on although I was all over the place re 2001.

I challenge your deep well of Jaggy Factoid knowledge with trepidation, but did Chic not come on for the last couple of minutes of a home game v Dundee between the Berwick and Hibees outings? Seem to remember game was level and they may have had a man sent off so we could afford to bring on a luxury player to push for the victory which just eluded us.

I'm not sure of the answer to this but here goes, how many people who have played for the Jags have made it to the World Cup Finals even as a squad player? Further to that does anyone remember when the Glaswegian ran a story for weeks that we were going to sign two Cameroon players? How close did we come to that?

I'm not sure of the answer to this but here goes, how many people who have played for the Jags have made it to the World Cup Finals even as a squad player? Further to that does anyone remember when the Glaswegian ran a story for weeks that we were going to sign two Cameroon players? How close did we come to that?

My recollection is that we got very close. The only thing to scupper us was that the quota of non-EEC players allowed in Scotland was used up by old Firm diddies and therefore the work permit applications were rejected. I could be completely wrong though.

Edit to add, There will be loads more Thistle players joining the list following the 2018 World Cup :-)

Edited by Dick Dastardly