Paddy Boyle

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - keeper and no 4 apart - they were worse than piss poor, and better sides will punish us if we're so slack, but we never ever looked like losing the game in all fairness. And at one point I too did think that PB wasn't the worst replacement for the twadster.

Edited by Semi Nurainen

Paddy Boyle was good tonight. What I like about him is that he frequently tries to pass the ball out of defence ON THE DECK rather than just hump it up the park. I'm not claiming that every pass went as intended but at least the boy tried.

It can't have been easy the past few months with people constantly on his back but he persisted and now seems to be coming good.

I applauded him tonight along with many others, and he deserved it.

I admit the opposition was not of 1st division standard but no team has been so far and we've praised other players and trialists.

Thought Donnelley was good as well tonight - especially when we went behind. He was exceptionally calm under pressure and nearly always picked the right pass.

Encouraging - especially after the Dundee results on Saturday (when I believe they were quite lucky to win) and tonight.

Agreed.

Was miles better than Paton on the other side.

Paton is one of the most frustrating players I've ever seen. I simply cannot understand why anyone in his profession is completely incapable of using one foot - he's like someone with a wooden leg. Every defender in Scotland now knows how to handle him - force him inside and he's lost. 'Simple' as Granpa Meerkat would say.I had hoped that with full time training the problem would at least be made less obvious, but on tonight's showing it's getting worse!

Thought Donnelley was good as well tonight - especially when we went behind. He was exceptionally calm under pressure and nearly always picked the right pass.

I agree. He got a light boo-ing for holding the ball at one point when it was obvious what he was up to. If anone thinks that Paton is being scapegoated, then just consider the difference between the numbers 2 & 3 on different sides, and be honest: after half time didn't you think (at least once) "phew they've swapped over".

Paddy Boyle's been our best defender of this long season, actually.

He gets alot of undeserved criticism, IMO.

Agree. Don't do statistics but in tennis parlance of unforced errors Boyle's made far less than Paton, Willie K or Robertson.

Some of the criticism the lad gets is not only undeserved but totally wrong. Case in question (maybe round the 60 min mark) Boyle gets the ball tries to take it forward, no one in support so turns back towards the centre circle area doesn't pass as whoever would get the ball would be in a worse position than himself. This was met with howls of derision from sections of the support. End ball was a neutral pass to a teammate in a slightly better position and we kept possession and from there went forward.

No way is Boyle a World beater, in truth I can understand why McCall wanted to release him but imo what the lad lacks in quality is being compensated for by his will to prove us wrong. If he could get the detractors off his back and gain a bit more confidence Boyle will be one of the least of our worries.

Actually no matter how you rate him he's playing in a position with so little cover that he's one player we can't afford to see injured.

Agree. Don't do statistics but in tennis parlance of unforced errors Boyle's made far less than Paton, Willie K or Robertson.

Some of the criticism the lad gets is not only undeserved but totally wrong. Case in question (maybe round the 60 min mark) Boyle gets the ball tries to take it forward, no one in support so turns back towards the centre circle area doesn't pass as whoever would get the ball would be in a worse position than himself. This was met with howls of derision from sections of the support. End ball was a neutral pass to a teammate in a slightly better position and we kept possession and from there went forward.

No way is Boyle a World beater, in truth I can understand why McCall wanted to release him but imo what the lad lacks in quality is being compensated for by his will to prove us wrong. If he could get the detractors off his back and gain a bit more confidence Boyle will be one of the least of our worries.

Actually no matter how you rate him he's playing in a position with so little cover that he's one player we can't afford to see injured.

Absolutely.

Boyle isn't great going forward but he's defensive game is pretty good. He played well towards the tail-end of last season playing at the left-side of a back 3.

Wasn't at the game last night but sounds like he's continued with another good performance. He played well on Saturday despite our defeat and was possibly the best Jags player on the park. He needs some support and it does look like the fans are starting to do that. Keep it up Paddy, we know you can play well.

Paton is one of the most frustrating players I've ever seen. I simply cannot understand why anyone in his profession is completely incapable of using one foot - he's like someone with a wooden leg. Every defender in Scotland now knows how to handle him - force him inside and he's lost. 'Simple' as Granpa Meerkat would say.I had hoped that with full time training the problem would at least be made less obvious, but on tonight's showing it's getting worse!

I'll be honest in saying that I'm pretty fed up hearing this same criticism of Paton. The majority of players favour strongly one foot or the other. It is a low percentage that can do simple things with their wrong foot and significantly fewer that are strong with both feet. Watch the Premiership on TV and look at their wingers and backs and work out how many can actually use both feet and are confident in playing the ball in with their wrong foot - very few indeed and thats meant to be the top league. Paton is being played as an overlapping defender and not a winger and a lot of the criticism is pretty unfair. He has become a target for the boo boys and I still believe he is one of our better players. Booing him and abusing him as on Saturday when he was one of the few players that acknowledged our support is childish and just shows what a poor set of "supporters" we have become over the last 10 years. I have followed Thistle for 35 years now and there is a significant degradation in our support and that's not just in numbers but in quality.

I'll be honest in saying that I'm pretty fed up hearing this same criticism of Paton. The majority of players favour strongly one foot or the other. It is a low percentage that can do simple things with their wrong foot and significantly fewer that are strong with both feet. Watch the Premiership on TV and look at their wingers and backs and work out how many can actually use both feet and are confident in playing the ball in with their wrong foot - very few indeed and thats meant to be the top league. Paton is being played as an overlapping defender and not a winger and a lot of the criticism is pretty unfair. He has become a target for the boo boys and I still believe he is one of our better players. Booing him and abusing him as on Saturday when he was one of the few players that acknowledged our support is childish and just shows what a poor set of "supporters" we have become over the last 10 years. I have followed Thistle for 35 years now and there is a significant degradation in our support and that's not just in numbers but in quality.

totaly agree

have never understood the dislike for paton and think it is more the person and not his game, he makes mistakes but then agin so do ALL of the rest of the team but we dont see nearly as much abuse for that.

I thought he was decent but time after time after time he wanders off his man and is found strolling about in front of John Robertson. His passing and touch was much netter last night than in previous games though.

On another note Paul Paton needs a few games out

I thought he was decent but time after time after time he wanders off his man and is found strolling about in front of John Robertson. His passing and touch was much netter last night than in previous games though.

On another note Paul Paton needs a few games out

You may be correct in that initial point, however need to remember that he is clearly being told to get forward as much as possible and there will be times that he chooses to move forward and possession may be lost and a quick pass can render him out of position. Were he to stay back like other defenders this would not happen but neither would we have the attacking option. It comes with the role and the other defenders and defensive midfielders should be covering.

I take the general view that if a Jags player doesn't continually pull out of tackles, shirk challenges, show laziness etc then that's fine by me. Only under these sort of circumstances can I understand a Jags player getting booed. Even then it's something to be avoided in the interest of team morale. Paton's attitude during play at least seems very good and in no way could I condone anyone booing him.

Back to my obsession and I can't agree with some of the above post. I can't for the life of me remember seeing any defender being so hopelessly one footed. I'm not meaning weak footed, I can accept that much better defenders than Paul have had difficulty kicking a ball with their bad foot. But Paton won't pass the ball a matter of a few yards with his left, won't even tackle with it. It's almost an art form how he gets into such contrived bodily positions to get onto his right.

Perhaps the only reason I have this obsession about PP's onefootedness is that I like his attitude, he's got decent stamina, a bit of dig about him and could be a great attribute to the side. But he's now in his third season and hasn't really progressed because of this major flaw in his game. Watch him in the pre match kick about or when he and another player pass long balls to each other (again pre match), not even then will he let the ball touch his left foot. Perhaps hopelessly one footed is the wrong term. Maybe if he practised with his left it wouldn't be hopeless?

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I'm going to go against the grain here, I think Boyle always looks scared to commit when going in for a tackle and hoofs the ball up the park rather than taking his time to pick out a player.

Paton - if he is so right footed why cut inside all the time? take it for a run and try to beat a man.

You may be correct in that initial point, however need to remember that he is clearly being told to get forward as much as possible and there will be times that he chooses to move forward and possession may be lost and a quick pass can render him out of position. Were he to stay back like other defenders this would not happen but neither would we have the attacking option. It comes with the role and the other defenders and defensive midfielders should be covering.

I dont disagree - my point was more aimed at when we were defending, not going forward. Boyle seems to take up a position as if he was playing left centre half and not a full back. With Hodge or Sid at left midfield we have little or no cover when he does this.