Sunderland Game

Lambies Lost Doo

I could see the 4-3-2-1 being the preferred formation too TAT, but as I say, happy enough with the cover that Bannigan supplies the left full back, but i don't see who fills that role on the right and I think it'll be exploited again this season.

I don't think Archie will depart from 4-2-3-1 too often, which means that Osman, Bannigan and Fraser will scrap it out for the two CM positions. I would think that Higgy, Stevenson and Lawless will get the nod as the first choice attacking midfielders, although Elliot may pip Stevie to the RW berth due to his energy and defensive capabilities. What's really interesting is how flexible and interchangeable our attacking midfielders are. Most of the them are capable of playing both on either flank and centrally, and Stevenson and Higgy can also play as a lone striker (the former more so). In the second half Doolan and Higgy switched positions on several occasions, often after Higgy had gone on a run, thus enabling him to recover while Doolan provided cover on the flank.

Having said that, I wholeheartedly agree with your point about cover for SoD/McMillan. I think we've discussed this before, but this is a role Paton fulfilled brilliantly. Hopefully Osman will plug this gap and/or a rapidly maturing Fraser can add this to his game.

Edited by Stewarty
  • Like 1

Thought it was an interesting workout. Was really impressed with Dale Keenan first half, at least in an attacking sense, but thought he was poor second half. Can only hope it is tiredness from Monday's game because the second half version of him would be a liability in the top league.

Thought Osman looked a really decent replacement for Osbourne. Not the greatest first touch, but great at getting the ball back. Just what we needed.

Stevenson doesn't quite fit in with the quick build up at times, but he's a great option to mix it up. Think our front six for the start of the season will be out of Osman, Bannigan, Fraser, Stevenson, Lawless, Higgy and Doolan. Will be interesting to see who drops out. Doesn't deserve to be Lawless if he played like he did last night but would imagine it would be him.

Seem to be in the minority in preferring first half trialist to the second one. Archie seems to be hinting he's very young, which has positives and negatives. Thought Zubar looked a nightmare on the ball, but strong in the tackle. Could work out..

Thought Watmore was very impressive for them, and worth looking at on loan if we weren't already stacked for wing options(admittedly not great ones). Danny Graham was absolutely anonymous. How the mighty have fallen..

Nice to finish the pre-season schedule with a victory although we weren't really up against great opposition. The tempo in the second half was of a decent standard and we could have scored a couple more.

Individually, I thought Osman was excellent again; he appears to encompass all the attributes that we were looking for from a midfielder - aggressive, strong, mobile and tidy on the ball. Early days of course but very satisfied with his signing. Elsewhere, I thought Craigen looked lively and was at the heart of most of our attacking moves in the first half; Christie continued his good form and has really played himself into contention for a starting place; and Lawless was quite impressive when he came on, much more like the player we all know he can be.

I wasn't convinced by Keenan at left-back; to me, it looked like he was out of position which I found strange as I thought he was solely a full-back. However, reading Archie's comments afterwards and hearing from those at the U20 game on Monday, it appears he can also play at centre half and centre midfield. I thought he was very sloppy in possession and almost always resorted to a long, mainly aimless ball into the channel although as folk have previously touched upon, that could be attributed to tiredness. I wouldn't expose him in the league yet as I don't think he's ready, not as a full-back anyway. For that reason, it was great to see Bannigan back as he gives us an option at left-back should we fail to get anyone in before next Wednesday.

Stevenson doesn't appear to be on the same wavelength as the others yet and I severely doubt we're going to see the best of him if we play him upfront. Once he clicks with Higginbotham and/or Doolan though, it should prove quite fruitful. Higginbotham wasn't at the races and hasn't been in any of the games that I've seen to be honest but he could be one of those players who "don't really do" friendlies.

The trialists raised as many questions as they answered, in my opinion. As we were discussing at the game, the first trialist looked well coached but I wasn't particularly convinced - would need to see him again. Zubar looked like a guy who has had a few injuries, if that makes sense. I think he's been a very decent player on his day but I'm suspicious that those days are behind him. Again, would need to see him once more to form a decent opinion. I just hope we don't panic and sign one of them for the sake of it like we did with Piccolo last year.

Supposing no new signings (which I think is unlikely) before the County game, I'd be going with Gallacher; McMillan, Balatoni, Muirhead, Bannigan; Osman, Fraser, Higginbotham, Stevenson, Christie; Doolan.

• Like 1

Watched the Sunderland game, Dale Keenan at left back did ok, good cross for Christie's goal but maybe just a bit early for an SPFL game. The best left back at the club just now is Bannigan so until we sign a new left back Banzo must play there. We've got plenty of options in the middle of the park so taking Bannigan out of the midfield isn't as big a gamble as playing without a recognised left back. Wasn't really convinced about the two trialist centre halves , Zubar looked to be a bit rash jumping into tackles, and the trialist centre half first half looked to be ball watching a lot of the time. Don't think any are any better than what we've got and deserving of a contract ,so hopefully Archie has something else lined up. Up front we need a Plan B, Dools is fantastic and will score goals but we need a striker with genuine pace up there, watched Stevenson up front but doesn't really have any genuine pace or worryingly Dools work ethic !

The lad's there every week. He sings at every game, so no reason not to last night. I just struggled to make out some stuff he was singing.

Recognised the voice, good effort to be able to get that miroculous for a pre-season mid week friendly. Accident waiting to happen though.