Looking Good For Celtic

BowenBoys

The BBC has added more to its story.

The statement, posted on the Legia Warsaw website, reads: "Celtic FC is a legend in European football - the club with an incredible tradition, which since 1888 co-creates the story of the most beautiful game in the world.

"At the basis of this legend are not only amazing sporting achievements, but also the determination and commitment to values ​​such as honesty and honour."

And, the statement alludes to Celtic's European Cup win in 1967.

"Celtic FC wrote one of the most beautiful pages in the history of European football, when in 1967 they unexpectedly defeated in the final of the Champions Cup mighty Inter Milan headed by Helenio Herrera.

"Imagine that Jock Stein and Billy McNeill were deprived of the greatest triumph in their athletic career by completing the application form wrong.

It continues: "Do not destroy the beautiful clubhouse heritage that you have left in the care of previous generations, 'The Bhoys'. I challenge you, would you in the spirit of the game and fair play, and on the basis of Art. 34 paragraph 5 of the Uefa Disciplinary Regulations of Legia Warsaw took a common position on the Uefa disciplinary bodies. Meet in Warsaw or in Glasgow and let's settle this matter honourably."

Celtic have yet to issue an official response, but BBC Scotland understands that they are unlikely to agree to the request.

Edited by kni

Celtic should do and say nothing. Legia Warsaw have made a simple, and very costly, administrative error. UEFA have upheld the rules of the competition.

There is nothing Celtic can do or say to change the situation, even if they wanted to. And why should they? What would you want Thistle to do in this scenario? Millions and millions of pounds are at stake.

Celtic were sh!te. They suffered humiliation over 180 mins and we all had a good laugh. The history book, though, will show that they won on away goals before being humiliated again in the next round.

Let's hope they continue to keep us amused after their hilarious gig at the Edinburgh Fringe.

The BBC has added more to its story.

The statement, posted on the Legia Warsaw website, reads: "Celtic FC is a legend in European football - the club with an incredible tradition, which since 1888 co-creates the story of the most beautiful game in the world.

"At the basis of this legend are not only amazing sporting achievements, but also the determination and commitment to values ​​such as honesty and honour."

And, the statement alludes to Celtic's European Cup win in 1967.

"Celtic FC wrote one of the most beautiful pages in the history of European football, when in 1967 they unexpectedly defeated in the final of the Champions Cup mighty Inter Milan headed by Helenio Herrera.

"Imagine that Jock Stein and Billy McNeill were deprived of the greatest triumph in their athletic career by completing the application form wrong.

It continues: "Do not destroy the beautiful clubhouse heritage that you have left in the care of previous generations, 'The Bhoys'. I challenge you, would you in the spirit of the game and fair play, and on the basis of Art. 34 paragraph 5 of the Uefa Disciplinary Regulations of Legia Warsaw took a common position on the Uefa disciplinary bodies. Meet in Warsaw or in Glasgow and let's settle this matter honourably."

Celtic have yet to issue an official response, but BBC Scotland understands that they are unlikely to agree to the request.

Pretty cringeworthy stuff. No club in their right mind would agree to it.

The twitter feed from their chair man is blasting UEFA for actually breaking their own rules (1 person decision instead of a pannel of 3, no chance to represent themselves, no chance to send evidence etc) don't think this is over yet

True but if it wasn't for the inordinate amount of money at stake as opposed to simple euro prestige then most clubs may well be shamed into at least compromise.

I'm sure after all Celtic fans are au fait with the expression "sporting integrity".

NYON, Switzerland (AP) — UEFA has fined Debrecen <emdash />15,000 ($19,200) for fielding an ineligible player in the Europa League, but rejected a protest by opponent Litex Lovech to kick the Hungarians out of the competition.

UEFA says its disciplinary panel agreed that Peter Mate should not have played last Thursday in the second leg of the playoffs. But UEFA says Debrecen used Mate in good faith as a substitute in Bulgaria when it led 4-1 on aggregate.

UEFA says Debrecen had "no interest in fielding this player for the three last minutes of additional time, when the score was so clearly in its favor."

Litex can appeal the ruling before Debrecen opens group play on Sept. 16 at home against Ukrainian club Metalist Kharkiv.

Uefa set the rules, but now seem to be changing them.

NYON, Switzerland (AP) — UEFA has fined Debrecen <emdash />15,000 ($19,200) for fielding an ineligible player in the Europa League, but rejected a protest by opponent Litex Lovech to kick the Hungarians out of the competition.

UEFA says its disciplinary panel agreed that Peter Mate should not have played last Thursday in the second leg of the playoffs. But UEFA says Debrecen used Mate in good faith as a substitute in Bulgaria when it led 4-1 on aggregate.

UEFA says Debrecen had "no interest in fielding this player for the three last minutes of additional time, when the score was so clearly in its favor."

Litex can appeal the ruling before Debrecen opens group play on Sept. 16 at home against Ukrainian club Metalist Kharkiv.

That's been discussed by people before. Basically because the player for Debrecen wasn't banned the rule allows for discretion, whereas the Legia player was banned so it comes under a different rule, which doesn't and states that the game will be declared forfeit.

Legia made a mistake but for me the player played no part in achieving this victory and UEFA should view it in that context.

Legia made a mistake but for me the player played no part in achieving this victory and UEFA should view it in that context.

Typical nonsense from a Sevco supporter!

Which part of billko's post was nonsense? 'Legia made a mistake'?, 'the player played no part in achieving this victory'?, 'UEFA should view it in that context'?

I agree with billko on the first two points. The third is, I believe, irrelevant as UEFA rules clearly state the sanction for fielding a banned player. They had no option.

What this has to do with Sevco, I fail to understand.

Which part of billko's post was nonsense? 'Legia made a mistake'?, 'the player played no part in achieving this victory'?, 'UEFA should view it in that context'?

I agree with billko on the first two points. The third is, I believe, irrelevant as UEFA rules clearly state the sanction for fielding a banned player. They had no option.

What this has to do with Sevco, I fail to understand.

As soon as the banned player enters the pitch, he has played a part in achieving the victory. It's clear that Billko is trying to make case for Legia being reinstated at the expense of Celtic whom Sevco's hoards of knuckle-draggers hate with sectarian venom. Do you understand now?

• Like 1

As soon as the banned player enters the pitch, he has played a part in achieving the victory. It's clear that Billko is trying to make case for Legia being reinstated at the expense of Celtic whom Sevco's hoards of knuckle-draggers hate with sectarian venom. Do you understand now?

It's not necessarily 'sectarian venom' in all cases, might just be standard venom for some h@ns. The same type of venom with which I hate Celtic.

It's not necessarily 'sectarian venom' in all cases, might just be standard venom for some h@ns. The same type of venom with which I hate Celtic.

Same type? So you hate them because they are catholic? Or of Irish background? Because you are one of the people and they're not?

Same type? So you hate them because they are catholic? Or of Irish background? Because you are one of the people and they're not?

Not at all. I hate them because of mostly football reasons, and partly because I've always found their fans to be scum (for the most part). Likewise with the currant buns. I'm just saying that there maybe some h*ns who hate them for similar reasons and not necessarily sectarian reasons.

Edited by cjptfc

Not at all. I hate them because of mostly football reasons, and partly because I've always found their fans to be scum (for the most part). Likewise with the currant buns. I'm just saying that there maybe some h*ns who hate them for similar reasons and not necessarily sectarian reasons.

Then surely these H8ns must hate their own team for the same reasons? :P Or is it because they've come down in the world they can do that?

Edited by Mr Bunny