St Mirren Again

ThickAsThieves

I'm both amazed and pleasantly satisfied with Lawless's recent performances and congratulate him on finding a bit of form in this standard we're at now, didnt think he was going to cut it at this level but glad ive been proved wrong once again. We sorely miss Fraser. Wasnt at the games v St Midden (midweek not on for me ) but the comments about Goodwin and Osbourne having good games Tuesday had me thinking that we mustve snuffed out their danger, after all we came out the winners, so onwards and upwards !!

Was just looking at Robert Reid's article on the official site, featuring our 3-1 win over St Mirren in the Cup. Was shocked to discover it was over 25 years ago as I remember it so well. At the time it was Thistle's best result in the time that I'd been going to games regularly, particularly sweet as I lived in Barrhead and had a lot of Saints supporters at school. But what really struck me is that I remember not only every single one of the Thistle players featured, but also virtually the whole St Mirren team. I couldn't name more than two or three players playing for St Mirren last night. Strange the things that stay with you.

I was just looking at that article and had a close look at the pic of the program. These were some players St Mirren had then: Brian Martin, Paul Lambert, Peter Weir, Neil Cooper, Frank McGarvey. They'd walk into virtually any SPL side nowadays. I also note a certain "Jim" Charnley in our side. Some good players in our side but we were definitely not as strong as them.

Just shows how the standard of player available to average sides like ourselves and St Mirren has dropped over the years - these guys were all Scottish.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I was just looking at that article and had a close look at the pic of the program. These were some players St Mirren had then: Brian Martin, Paul Lambert, Peter Weir, Neil Cooper, Frank McGarvey. They'd walk into virtually any SPL side nowadays. I also note a certain "Jim" Charnley in our side. Some good players in our side but we were definitely not as strong as them.

Just shows how the standard of player available to average sides like ourselves and St Mirren has dropped over the years - these guys were all Scottish.

Remember the game well. A very good St Mirren side, on paper at least, with about half part of their Cup winning team. And even tho' we put three past them their goalie never once lost his cool.

Was just looking at Robert Reid's article on the official site, featuring our 3-1 win over St Mirren in the Cup. Was shocked to discover it was over 25 years ago as I remember it so well. At the time it was Thistle's best result in the time that I'd been going to games regularly, particularly sweet as I lived in Barrhead and had a lot of Saints supporters at school. But what really struck me is that I remember not only every single one of the Thistle players featured, but also virtually the whole St Mirren team. I couldn't name more than two or three players playing for St Mirren last night. Strange the things that stay with you.

It was only justice that we won that replay as we had totally outplayed them at Firhill in the 1st game

Just flicking through this thread and noticed a few folk complementing Craigen's performance. Some of you may perhaps remember I've previously made my views known about Craigen. Anyway, on Tuesday night, I thought he was truly awful. He carried absolutely zero goal threat. He never made any attempt to get beyond the striker (which is crucial when playing one (non-pacey striker) up front to give the striker some space). And he shat out of every challenge.

I remember one incident where he received the ball on the penalty spot and, instead of shooting, played it back, first time to the guy on the corner of the box who just played it into him. The move broke down. The game is about scoring goals. Craigen inhibits our ability to do that.

Rant over.

I think that's a bit unfair on Craigen. I admit he was poor against St Mirren but players have off days. He certainly hasn't played as well as he can this season but he's not as bad as made out (until maybe the last game he played). I'm sure he'll get better. However I'd like to see someone else used instead of him as a replacement for Stevenson (which seems to be his main use at the moment) which would give him a rest and maybe motivation to get better. Not sure who that should be. With Fraser and Welsh out our options are limited unless we take a risk say with a youngster. Maybe it would be worth considering Higgs more central and Elliot or O'Donnell coming in on the wing?

Maybe it would be worth considering Higgs more central and Elliott or O'Donnell coming in on the wing?

I think the point of playing Higgy wide is really so he can find space to get on to the ball as much as possible. The fact that playing a right sided player on the left implies he's going to play a lot of his football in an inside position (as opposed to a more orthodox winger). Plus I think even with another playing wide he'd still drift out to the wing looking for the ball.

I would like to see SOD played in midfield even if only as a sub. I think tho' he'd be better utilised on our right side. I feel that's the side of the park that could do with a bit more defending particularly late in the game.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Remember the game well. A very good St Mirren side, on paper at least, with about half part of their Cup winning team. And even tho' we put three past them their goalie never once lost his cool.

Les Fridge? Talking of goalkeepers, I remember the round before was against Clydebank and their keeper around that time was Jim Gallagher the father of a certai Paul Gallagher!