Old Football Grounds

Jaggernaut

Saw this article about what became of old football grounds in England:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-29460621

It would be interesting to know what happened to old football stadia in Scotland - mostly Tesco or housing, I reckon. I believe that there is still a turnstile in the carpark in front of the supermarket that's on the site of Brockville, but are there any relics of other old grounds?

Brockville - As above - Supermarket

If we take grounds from the last 40 or 50 years I can think of

Kilbowie - Retail park (poundstretcher!)

Annfield - Housing

Boghead - Housing?

Cathkin - pretty much still there?

No idea about what replaced Bayview, Broomfield or Shawfield?

Would be good to find out about any others.

Brockville - As above - Supermarket If we take grounds from the last 40 or 50 years I can think of Kilbowie - Retail park (poundstretcher!) Annfield - Housing Boghead - Housing? Cathkin - pretty much still there? No idea about what replaced Bayview, Broomfield or Shawfield? Would be good to find out about any others.

Shawfield is still there although exclusively used for the dug racing now.

Cathkin is a place Id recommend people going to have a look at if they haven't had the chance. Pretty eerie place these days

played and trained at Cathkin when it was in its collapsed and depleted state in the early 70's (I hated the terracing steps and the Prospecthill rd, Pre-season) before its refurbishment landscaping to what it is today.

Derby Jag , There's stadium at your location , go visit the Astrodome , its a haven for Urban wildlife these days and there always Gerrysworld in Dallas for the state of art modern facility.

I read an article a few years ago that covered an old Arsenal ground whereby houses were built on the site and at the bottom of each of the gardens there were steps showing which were the beginning of the terraces. Interesting article but entirely irrelevant in that I can't remember where I read it....

Interesting BBC article. It's sad that the old grounds with "character" have been demolished or rebuilt as soulless boxes. Standing on the Kop was an unforgettable experience. There is now housing on the sites of Maine Road, Roker Park and Ninian Park too. Swansea's old Vetch Field is now the Vetch Veg allotments!

Standing on the Kop was an unforgettable experience.

My only visit to the Kop was when I was stil at school and got to go to the Famous Wales VS Scotland world cup qualifier. My feet were off the ground for about 2 minutes when Dalgleish scored and I must have been carried about 50m down the terrace........Mental.

No all seated stadium can ever compare to the atmosphere somewhere like that could generate.

Right behind the goal for Roughie's save too

Edited by angry gaz
  • Like 1

My only visit to the Kop was when I was stil at school and got to go to the Famous Wales VS Scotland world cup qualifier. My feet were off the ground for about 2 minutes when Dalgleish scored and I must have been carried about 50m down the terrace........Mental.

No all seated stadium can ever compare to the atmosphere somewhere like that could generate.

Right behind the goal for Roughie's save too

You were lucky to be at that game Angry Gaz, my dad was at it and brought me home the programme, perhaps one of the best Scotland games of all time. Watched a bit of it on Youtube recently, that penalty was one of the worst/best decisions ever!

I thinks it's really sad when clubs leave their home grounds, however, some of those old grounds were pretty dangerous in places. I remember going to Maine Road and sitting in a stand call the "Platt Lane" it was a massive old wooden stand behind the goals, kitted out with bench seating, to get to the top of the stand you had to go up a metal staircase on the outside of the stand, that was caged in all the way and when busy packed with punters like sardines. That stand was a death trap and got pulled down not long after the Bradford disaster.

Sometimes, when you look back you shudder and sometimes you smile.

I thinks it's really sad when clubs leave their home grounds, however, some of those old grounds were pretty dangerous in places. I remember going to Maine Road and sitting in a stand call the "Platt Lane" it was a massive old wooden stand behind the goals, kitted out with bench seating, to get to the top of the stand you had to go up a metal staircase on the outside of the stand, that was caged in all the way and when busy packed with punters like sardines. That stand was a death trap and got pulled down not long after the Bradford disaster.

Sometimes, when you look back you shudder and sometimes you smile.

-

Some of the grounds in Scotland were shocking too. You could feel the steps ,coming out of Brockville, crumbling as you walked down them and I remember a game against Clydebank at Crapilow when there was huge amounts of rubble just lying all over the terrace.

Celebrating an Andy lyons goal at Starks Park I jumped into the air and when I came down the terrace which was the old dirt and sleepers completely caved in and I ended up nearly breaking my back and on my erse.