One Up Front

angry gaz

Systems come and systems go but I don't think I'll ever be a fan of one up front.Seeing a lone striker run about like a madman trying to close defenders down is far less of an attraction than seeing two forwards with a partnership and understanding linking up to score goals.

It's all about dominating the midfield these days so I can't ever see a return to the likes of 4-4-2 but seeing the likes of a Melrose /McAdam, Somner/Craig, Britton/Shaw partnership as a forward line is a loss to a generation of fans who might never see anything but a 4-5-1

• Like 2

Systems come and systems go but I don't think I'll ever be a fan of one up front.Seeing a lone striker run about like a madman trying to close defenders down is far less of an attraction than seeing two forwards with a partnership and understanding linking up to score goals.

It's all about dominating the midfield these days so I can't ever see a return to the likes of 4-4-2 but seeing the likes of a Melrose /McAdam, Somner/Craig, Britton/Shaw partnership as a forward line is a loss to a generation of fans who might never see anything but a 4-5-1

Good point well made Angry G. Given that we run our loan forward until he's fit to drop, who would you partner him with? Surely NOT our highest paid player who I think I could beat in a sprint to the pie stall. Maybe therein lies Archie's problem, if he knackers the legs too early then there's no one else to bring on!

I don't think we could play 4-4-2, I just think it better to watch two forwards playing together than a guy running about on his own.

We'll soon have a generation of strikers who don't know what it's like to have a strike partner alongside .

During the world cup I heard them talk about ,"the fake Number 9" and "he plays the number 10 role" and didn't have a scooby what they're on about.

Maybe Stevo is a fake No9.

Edited by angry gaz

Feel we make too much of formations. Far more important is flexibility, which incidentally played a big part in our last promotion season. What system were we playing when SOD scored against Dunfermline? Or for that matter the other week against Motherwell?

Being able to break from the rigidity of a set formation is I think one thing we've got right over the last three seasons. Perhaps if you start with two out and out strikers you would considerably reduce the opportunities to vary attack. If you've two exceptional strikers then the need to be versatile wouldn't be that necessary. Doubt that will often apply to us.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Whilst we kick off each half as a 4-2-3-1 the flexibility of the players we have means that changes depending on the period and run of the game. But offers the most flexibility to defend.

Lawless and Elliott can drop back to go 4-4-1-1 to provide more defensive cover.

At times on Saturday in the second half we were 4-4-2 with the wingers dropping back and Craigan up close with Doolan and Eccleston.

We even go 5 at the back when defending, the left or right back moves inside as the winger moves to right or left back depending down which wing the opposition attack. Most commonly seen on the right with SOD moving inside following a midfielders late run. Elliott goes to the ball.

The whole successful team of the '71 era was destroyed when bone left for Norwich, never the same again, best link up duo in the whole country at the time , brilliant to watch , and can the Holland team of the Spain world cup campaign ever be emulated ? the "w" attack formation , a centre forward,2 wingers and 2 inside men ( carrying the ball from defense to attack ) , behind them a half back line , then the two full backs , solid defence structure , ah but , the modern game !! no wonder the crowds continue dwindling .