Team For Hamilton

ThickAsThieves

Here's a thing, we blew it 1st game vs Hamilton at Firhill. We should've held on for the win having scored with a few minutes left & them having created very little.

Today we should've taken the 3 points also.

Take the 6 points off Hamilton's total & put it on ours & we're level pegging.

My argument being this 'good point as they're league leaders' is nonsense.

completely agree the worst thing is losing goals in last minutes of games doesn't mean we are a bad team but it's something we have to sort out or we will be in the relegation fight which on play I'd say we don't deserve but seriously they really should take time out to train for the end of games time wasting when to keep the ball when to get it **** it's something that can be worked on surely ? If you look at st Johnston they are a point above us but they've score something like 7 less goals than we have and that's because they know can see games out better ?

Scoring the goal was all craigen did the entire game apart from shirking some tackles and taking some abysmal free kicks and corners. Elliott was hopeless first half but at least put the effort in the second half just a pity his touch is honking. After poor games, as well as most other players, on Wednesday I was surprised they started today instead of higgy and Fraser. I appreciate neither higgy or Fraser where fit but I still find it hard to believe that jimmy craigen and Elliott played all 90 minutes today.

id rather see Elliot have a game up front than on the wing he's got pace and a decent right foot and he's a big guy

Here's a thing, we blew it 1st game vs Hamilton at Firhill. We should've held on for the win having scored with a few minutes left & them having created very little.

A point away to hamilton is no bad and the fact theyr top proves theyr a good side but you are right we've blew it twice against them!

just trying to take positives of a good comeback and 1 point picked up

ur out of order mate haha

Yeah, you're right but these 'were you at the game?' Posts really get my goat.

Everyone entitled to their opinion as a PTFC fan & whether at the game or not, they can all see that once again we've conceded late on in games which has cost us valuable points.

Happens too often to be 'unlucky' & I'm not concerned where Hamilton are in the league, I'm concerned where PTFC are in the league.

Everyone entitled to their opinion as a PTFC fan & whether at the game or not, they can all see that once again we've conceded late on in games which has cost us valuable points.

Happens too often to be 'unlucky' & I'm not concerned where Hamilton are in the league, I'm concerned where PTFC are in the league.

same mate it pisses me off that some people think because ur not at every single game it makes u less of a supporter I couldn't go to the game but I was wired to the commentry and was on the phone constantly to sum 1 who was not that I need justify how much I care haha the fact that losing goals in the last minute have cost us so many points this season means u know something has to be done differently when we are leading a game Into the last 5 surely they have to make it a priority because if they don't it will clearly be a regular thing

Great stat... well it would be if it were feasible as by adding 6 onto the points we've taken (1) means we'd have 7 from the 2 Hamilton games.

If all the games this season had finished without injury time we would have 16 points rather than our current 12.

• Members

It doesn't make you any less of a supporter, however, how can you possibly have a view on a players performance or events you haven't seen? There are plenty of posts about how Fox should be dropped because we have lost 9 goals in 2 games for instance. But one of the best goalkeeping performances I've ever seen from a Thistle keeper came at the hands of Celtic at Parkhead. Totally demolished us 7-0 but it could easily have been well into double figures but for Alan Rough.

Sure, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but to say someone is crap when you haven't actually witnessed it yourself is poor. There are certain posters come here regularly with 'expert' opinions on the team and players who quite clearly have seen next to no games this season and that's what gets on some peoples goat!

• Like 8

It doesn't make you any less of a supporter, however, how can you possibly have a view on a players performance or events you haven't seen? There are plenty of posts about how Fox should be dropped because we have lost 9 goals in 2 games for instance. But one of the best goalkeeping performances I've ever seen from a Thistle keeper came at the hands of Celtic at Parkhead. Totally demolished us 7-0 but it could easily have been well into double figures but for Alan Rough.

Sure, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but to say someone is crap when you haven't actually witnessed it yourself is poor. There are certain posters come here regularly with 'expert' opinions on the team and players who quite clearly have seen next to no games this season and that's what gets on some peoples goat!

can I just say that point can only be relevant to some 1 who's made 1 or 2 games I've been to 8 games out of our 11 this season and I feel a have the right to be pissed off when something so costly to our position in the leauge seems to keep happening

can I just say that point can only be relevant to some 1 who's made 1 or 2 games I've been to 8 games out of our 11 this season and I feel a have the right to be pissed off when something so costly to our position in the leauge seems to keep happening

Moot point, but it was a sweetly struck shot from 25yds that cost us the 3 points today. Not sure who we can blame. Sometimes you have to give the opposition player credit?

Moot point, but it was a sweetly struck shot from 25yds that cost us the 3 points today. Not sure who we can blame. Sometimes you have to give the opposition player credit?

yeah defo mate u do sometimes but it's not the goals we r loosing it's the time we r loosing them that's disturbing fair enough a wasn't there today n yeah we fought back well and that's something to be proud of but we've lost 4 points in about 3 minutes to Hamilton from a winning position I didn't have to be at the game today to know how it went ..

Couldn't agree more BGM. Just because you don't agree with someone's opinion, it doesn't mean they shouldn't offer it. That's what debate is all about but it appears some of the ignorant on this forum can't see that, and think we should just agree or alternatively GTF.

Anyway, for the record I have been to most games this season and was at the game today. I've been a Thistle fan all my life. I stay to the end of all games I go to, including Wedneday night when it seemed to me that half our 'great' support decided they had had enough at 3-0 down. There are some on this thread who have talked about today's game being a great team performance etc to come back from 2-0 down, conveniently ignoring the fact that it was a lack of team performance that got us to 2-0 in the first place. No point in evaluating a segment of the game, you have to look at the whole 90 mins.

I have NEVER previously called for Archie to go etc and have always hoped he would develop in the role and go on to become one of our best ever managers. He was brilliant in getting us promoted after McNamara left and well deserved to manage us last season, regardless of results. He deserved that. Sadly, my faith in him is now starting to wain. I'll explain why.

Firstly, he continues to pick players off form when there are other options available, even with the squad restrictions we have. This is not only bad for overall team confidence, but can actually affect the long term development of a player if he doesn't get a rest when needed, The best example is Foxy. He's a Jag player and I'll support him when he's playing. But he needs dropped. Gallagher is a better keeper than Foxy, Gallagher's positional play is better. He's better at collecting the ball at crosses. He's more vocal and commands his area better. He organises his defence and instructs players on their positional play, better than Foxy. He can save a penalty, but Foxy can't. Yet Archie keeps picking Foxy ahead of Gallagher. It is so obvious this change needs to be made, if Archie can't see it, I have to question his judgement. Why is he persisting with Foxy? And why did he drop Gallagher in the first place?

Secondly, Archie appears bereft of ideas to change our style of play when things need changing. Now I know that the instant retort to this will be the 'successful' substitution he made today with Higgy for Dooly. I don't see it that way. Having attended the vast majority of games since Archie was appointed, I have seen the substitutions he has made and to be called a good tactician, there has to be consistency in success in making them. i.e the teams performance improves when we are behind, or alternatively we nullify a teams pressure to secure a win in the last part of the game etc. Archie hasn't shown that. Today's substitution was particularly bizarre and a stroke of luck more than a stroke of genius. If Ecclestone was on the bench, was it not more likely Archie would have put him on for Dooly, as he has done all this season? And to add weight to this point, what successful manager (or team for that matter) plays without any out and out striker? That's what got Levein sacked from the Scotland job. IMO, today's result was freaky and wasn't down to any tactical master ploy. If it was a tactical master ploy, I need to see more of it from Archie. And as an aside, what the heck was the point of Frans getting ready to come on, then not? Nothing had changed in the time he took his top off, to him putting it back on 5 mins later. So why did Archie not use him? To counter the argument of the Dools/Higgy sub being a great stroke from Archie, if Frans came on liked he looked to, then the chances are we wouldn't have conceded the equaliser.

Thirdly, the team have appeared naive compared to our opposition and Archie has to take a lot of the responsibility for that. For example, why did Archie not use a substitution to soak up some the injury time (Frans or whoever). Most of the support were shouting for it. All top managers tend to use this tactic, but not us? Why was Foxy kicking the ball straight back up the park during injury time instead of retaining possession when there wasn't an Accies player around him? At one point, Craigen appeared to be still injured when trying to take his position in the wall at an Accies free kick, to the extent that he wasn't really listening to Foxy. Why didn't he go down injured to allow himself some treatment and for the wall to be property formed? I recall at a game against Celtic at Firhill last year, Izaguirre was standing up but hobbling and Lennon shouted on him to go to ground to get treatment, which he did. Result? The ref stopped play and Izaguiire got treatment and time to get over his injury. Craigen decided it was best to try and play on injured without treatment. Why? It's so naive.

Lastly, Archie needs to be more adventurous and consider, in certain games, playing 2 up front. Dooly has no chance on his own. I agree in some, or even most away games, we want to try and soak up the midfield area and stop the home team passing to their forward line. I get that. But to continue playing a totally isolated Dooly at Firhill is now getting on my wick. I could understand last season was a learning curve, and if we managed to hold on to Lyle Taylor, who knows what would have happened. We need to try and be more ambitious in our forward line now, in our 2nd year in this league. You only need to look at who our most recent goal scorers have been. Banzo, SOD, McMillan, Elliott, Craigen. We can't rely on our defenders/midfielders to score throughout the whole season.

Anyway, that's my opinion, from someone who was at the game today. And I'm not a whinge. I just want Thistle to be the best they can be, and IMO we can be better than what we are. It's the small differences that can make a huge difference. Nothing wrong with trying to improve. Let's try and stop throwing verbal bricks at our fellow supporters who are airing their views on this forum, just because we disagree with them. Everyone's a jag and we all love our club. The end. (Thank f##k)

• Like 2

Elliott played through the middle and scored a great goal when Doolan went off or did you not notice? ;)

Funny how Craigen and Elliott linked a lot better than when Doolan did today.

I'm struggling to think how many goals over the last two weeks that Gallacher would have prevented. I'll give you the 6th at Parkhead as he was totally at fault on that occasion. All three goals conceded were right in the corners today. Something the Accies midfielders obviously work on.

• Like 1

Haud on. It's not about being a better fan. It's about commenting on something you've actually watched. It's farcical.

The equaliser today was completely different to those other games. The players did the textbook thing. Ran balls into corners. Held it. Won it back. Got rid when required. Sometimes you are undone by a great strike and it happened today. Then again, if you weren't there, why am I wasting time explaining it?

Personally, I've learned from last season. Better to take the point than lose the game.

As for Fox. I prefer Gallacher. However I don't think Fox could have done much more today. Maybe a tad slow at the second a mate said(I wasn't sure). That's being really harsh.

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa

Secondly, Archie appears bereft of ideas to change our style of play when things need changing.

Apologies for the selective quoting from a very long post. I just find the timing of above a bit strange given the way the game panned out today. From what I witnessed today Archie most definitely changed things about after going two down. He moved Elliott to a more central position to play off Higgy, who was brought on as striker. He moved Bannigan to left back after presumably feeling Carroll was getting caught out of position too often. Most of us (certainly those around me) fully expected Craigen and/or Elliott to be subbed around the hour mark. Neither were and both went on to score.

I realise your opinion re above has been formulated over a lengthy period. Just feel on an occasion where the manager has changed things around and made a couple of unorthodox substitutions your timing is rather peculiar.

Apologies for the selective quoting from a very long post. I just find the timing of above a bit strange given the way the game panned out today. From what I witnessed today Archie most definitely changed things about after going two down. He moved Elliott to a more central position to play off Higgy, who was brought on as striker. He moved Bannigan to left back after presumably feeling Carroll was getting caught out of position too often. Most of us (certainly those around me) fully expected Craigen and/or Elliott to be subbed around the hour mark. Neither were and both went on to score.

I realise your opinion re above has been formulated over a lengthy period. Just feel on an occasion where the manager has changed things around and made a couple of unorthodox substitutions your timing is rather peculiar.

The point I'm making on that specific point LIB, is that due to Archie's poor tactical use of subs for some time (IMO) I'm not convinced that today's subs were the best ploy, at any given time, to get us back in the game. I appreciate it worked out that way initially, but on the other hand, why wasn't a 3rd sub used to soak the defence up in the final minutes which would have got us the win? We cant praise his use of subs on one hand in getting us back in the game, but on the other hand, ignore the fact he should have used the last sub to waste time and assist in securing 3 points. They are both the same thing, I.e. Best use of substitutes. Both Craigen and Elliott's goals were well put away and I was obviously delighted for both the boys as they have struggled at times. But anyone who has watched them over the past few years knows neither are proven goalscorers and therefore Archie couldn't have banked on them scoring as part of his game plan to get back in the game. I want Archie to succeed. All Jags fan do. But I remain unconvinced by his ability (not in a one off game) to turns things around when we need changing. His consistent use of straight replacements such as Taylor/Dooly last season and this season Ecclestone/Dooly are an obvious example. Same formation, but just with a different player who remains isolated up front. I sincerely hope I get proved wrong and Archie's tactical use of subs is shown to be a success from now on. Because then Thistle will be better and have a greater chance of winning games. And that's what we all want.