Paterson For Scotland

jaggy

And I am seriously beginning to wonder about some of our fans, jaggy are you actually beginning to question the credentials and judgement of Strachan as Scotland manager?have you watched our national team much over the last 20 yrs?

Clearly at 20, Paterson is in for the experience as much as being in for cover...Macleod is a very good young player regardless of who he plays for, I like how these young guys are being brought into the fold...last time Gauld, next time I am sure someone else...it has to be the way forward.

Only full-back who is Scottish of any quality in the premiership is Shinnie, who from memory is a right sided left back - he must be on fringes and maybe has a case to be in over Paterson as "cover" but can't think of too many others in our top league...

• Like 1

And I am seriously beginning to wonder about some of our fans, jaggy are you actually beginning to question the credentials and judgement of Strachan as Scotland manager?have you watched our national team much over the last 20 yrs?

Clearly at 20, Paterson is in for the experience as much as being in for cover...Macleod is a very good young player regardless of who he plays for, I like how these young guys are being brought into the fold...last time Gauld, next time I am sure someone else...it has to be the way forward.

Only full-back who is Scottish of any quality in the premiership is Shinnie, who from memory is a right sided left back - he must be on fringes and maybe has a case to be in over Paterson as "cover" but can't think of too many others in our top league...

I'm not doubting Paterson & McLeod's abilities as young players, i'm just surprised that they are picked over Premiership players. And why have them for experience? The Ireland game is very important, so surely every squad player should be there to play, not for 'experience'? I don't see enough Scottish football just now to give examples from other clubs, but is Paterson any better than McMillan or O'Donnell, especially playing at a lower level?

Calum Paterson of Hearts in the Scotland squad?? I'm seriously beginning to wonder about WGS. It was bad enough adding McLeod, but are there no right backs in the Premiership better than Paterson?

I don't think so. I think Paterson is a really good prospect and deserves credit for staying with Hearts after their relegation. Wouldn't be surprised if he had offers to go elsewhere.

As for MacLeod, I admit I have never seen the boy in the flesh but he must have something to be capped for Scotland at every level from Under 16. Strachan is bringing him in for the experience as he did in the last two squads with McGregor and Gauld. I personally think this is quite a good idea which will make the transition to the full squad (with the realistic prospect of playing) easier when the time comes.

But not everyone will play in the Ireland game, he will go with Whittaker at RB and if required Martin can slot in there...so Paterson probably 3rd choice RB and Macleod way down the playing pecking order within the squad...England game a friendly so some people may get a run out who wouldn't normally and then the result is secondary (even though it is England we are playing)...However, both boys may show something in training this week that convinces Strachan he could use them in game at some stage...its a win win situation.....Strachan clearly trying to bed in 1 or 2 young guys each squad gathering so that in theory when their chance does come they feel part of the set up already...taking a middle term view on his squad which I think is a great shout. We need to be able to transition players into the squad and team over time and not have a scenario post Brown where a team comes to an end and we don't have players to filter in...

As much as I rate McMillan as a defender he isn't international class and neither is O'Donnell frankly...

That's right - question the manager because he called up a squad player instead of acknowledge the fact that he's got the national team playing as well as they have done for a number of years. For what it's worth, Macleod is the best young player in Scotland at the moment and once people put their Old Firm hatred to one side, they might realise that; calling him up to the senior squad will only serve him (and Scotland) well in years to come. Same goes for Paterson who will benefit from the experience and offers options in a couple of positions due to his versatility.

• Like 2

While I'm sure it is possible to say that a player in a lower division is a good player and could play at a higher level.- it's surely not sensible to say he's the best young player in the country when he hasn't been tested at the top level in Scotland. And there are surely excellent young players in teams like Hamilton, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen and other SPL teams who seem to have been overlooked. It's then logical to wonder about that - especially when we've seen in the past players getting caps when they join the OF when they were never looked at with other teams.

Of course neither of these boys are likely to get game so we're not talking as bad a situation - just the possibility that a player is brought in to appease a certain customer base when it can easily be done without affecting the main squad.

Personally I think if the manager's going to do this he should bring in a number of youngsters, not just one or two. Even if there's a limit to squad sizes I don't see why some young lads couldn't go along unofficially and train with the big squad - they'd just not be eligible to play.

Edited by Mr Bunny
  • Like 1

I've never seen the boy McLeod play, but is he really better (or a different player than) say, Jack or Pawlett at Aberdeen, or Armstrong at Dundee Utd? Genuine question.

I've seen several Rangers live tv games this season, some against lowly opposition, and I can't say McLeod has stood out for me in any of these games.

I suppose that was really my point in the first place. I know WGS has us playing great stuff, so it was a bit tongue in cheek. I don't care what club any Scotland player plays, but we have the likes of Aberdeen, DU & ICT in the top 6 for the past few seasons, so surely they must have candidates for the squad more deserving than Championship players?

I think the lad Macleod was expecting a call up to the 21's and was a bit of a shock to be included in the senior squad.

He (If he keeps developing as he is doing) will become a top player and great to see young players like this breaking through and good on Strachan to give players like Macleod and Paterson a chance to be involved in a senior squad for the valuable experience they will get from it.

Not everyone will ever agree with what players are selected for Scotland squads at any of the age groups, but we are seeing all clubs produce good young players just now which is fantastic and good for the future of our game here.

Our national team are very much on the up (hope thats not the kiss of death) and we have a bright future with some of the excellent young talent we have.in our game

Rather than have a moan at our managers decision of who he picks in his squad, lets just trust him as he isn't doing too badly just now is he?

• Like 2

Paterson really impressed me last season. Big, strong, commanding and inspirational. Good going forward whether cutting in from the wing to score (as against us) or arriving in the middle to sink a header as I am sure that he did against Hibs and on other occasions too. No complaints about him being called up and could see him becoming a regular internationalist in future.

• Like 2

I've never seen the boy McLeod play, but is he really better (or a different player than) say, Jack or Pawlett at Aberdeen, or Armstrong at Dundee Utd? Genuine question.

I think Pawlett is a great player, would love to see him turn out for Scotland. I think every time i've seen him play he's been impressive.