Assessment Of Archie

thebiglemon

What I like:

• Doesn't come out with any bullsh*t, pretty honest. Nothing controversial, Walter Smith like, low profile
  • Winning when it mattered- when it came to the split we went unbeaten until we were safe
  • Gradually building a decent team, spotting weaknesses and trying to improve
  • Players from championship side developing- Elliot
  • Still trying to play attractive football
  • Winning when not dominant, not losing or drawing when dominant so much
  • Younger players starting to get a chance if good enough - McDaid
  • Team spirit intact

What I don't like:

• Late goals against
  • Lack of progress from Doolan
  • Some ropey signings last season

That's it. Overall happy and proud of the team and management and those in charge of the club seem to be doing a decent job.

Lack of progress from Doolan

Depends where you're coming from. Personally I've been delighted with the way Kris has stepped up a level. I'm not tho' sure where Doolan's form has any bearing in an assessment of the manager.

On the minus side I'm not that convinced we're emphatically trying to play attractive football. I feel we've been attempting to adopt some sort of hybrid system, more than likely driven by necessity. Very much work in progress.

I'm led to believe team spirit remains at a high level but I'm realistic enough to imagine maintaining that level has at times been rather difficult..

I'd agree with most of your points except don't think he's giving youth a chance. Outwith StJohnstone all other teams seem to play real youngsters 17/18 year olds.

Also add I dislike the predictability of our team selection and tactics. It must be easy for a semi-decent manager to counter us.

Overall I'm very happy with him (though no idea why he persists with some players). Don't think any other manager, who'd be in our reach, would do any better. Just needs to mix it up sometimes.

What I like

• He's not Tommy Craig
  • He's ruthless. Could easily have kept guys like Steven Craig and Lee Mair along the way, but has ditched them in the search for better
  • He spots weaknesses and tries to improve them. Our centre half pairing is miles better than what we had at this time last year.
  • He's stuck by guys who could easily have been discarded. Players like Lawless, and O'Donnell could easily have been ditched after a disappointing second half to last season, but have gone on to be two of our better players.
  • He signs well, in general. I don't think anyone thought we'd find a better version of Osbourne, but we have, and he's not a crock.
  • That he's never thrown Sean Welsh under the bus over his injury woes.
  • Generally I like a lot about him. Would happily have him as manager long term

What I don't like

• For over a year we were conceding late goals despite being a very fit team. Hard to know how much of it could be blamed on the management, but it was pretty embarrassing for a while.

I can't think of many obvious others. What a guy #GoArchie.

• Like 1

Overall I'm over the moon with Archie as manager, for all my life as a Thistle fan we have had very few managers we could be proud of, Archie is exactly that.

He's young, inexperienced and learning every day, thats a plus, as he's not Gus McPherson, Tommy Craig or Kenny Shiels.

I'd be happy if he was given a long term contract, and by that I mean 5 years +. For the first time I can remember, it feels like we have a long term strategy in place and I don't want that work undone.

The only problem is that with promotion to the top tier comes the need to survive in the top tier, and the way to do that is to play less football. The top division is so small that you are very rarely comfortable in your status. And with that unpredicatability comes a "survive at all costs" mentality.

We play the same formation as we have done for 3 years, we have had similar style of players in the starting 11 for the last three years, but fear creeps in. In the first didvision you could make mistakes and get away with it. concede a goal? we'll score another. In the Premiership, every mistake is punished.

Overall I'm over the moon with Archie as manager, for all my life as a Thistle fan we have had very few managers we could be proud of, Archie is exactly that.

He's young, inexperienced and learning every day, thats a plus, as he's not Gus McPherson, Tommy Craig or Kenny Shiels.

I'd be happy if he was given a long term contract, and by that I mean 5 years +. For the first time I can remember, it feels like we have a long term strategy in place and I don't want that work undone.

The only problem is that with promotion to the top tier comes the need to survive in the top tier, and the way to do that is to play less football. The top division is so small that you are very rarely comfortable in your status. And with that unpredicatability comes a "survive at all costs" mentality.

We play the same formation as we have done for 3 years, we have had similar style of players in the starting 11 for the last three years, but fear creeps in. In the first didvision you could make mistakes and get away with it. concede a goal? we'll score another. In the Premiership, every mistake is punished.

I think the above is a pretty fair and honest assessment and it's also good to note that most posts have been positive. We lose Archie, who do we get? Probably someone who has been round the clubs until they were found out and who would try to impose their style of play on a team that wouldn't be capable of delivering. The inevitable clear out would follow (say cheerio to many fans favourites); to be followed by old stagers coming in who have links to the new manager and "can do a job for us". To be honest, I think we would be mad to even consider losing Archie and agree that he is learning week-in, week-out. Plus, late goals aside (where would be in the league had we not conceded so many?), we are still a good team to watch (IMO). Do the... whisper it... 'the board' deserve a pat on the back for giving us two young managers and for setting in place a half-decent style of football?

But in summary, I think it is refreshing that a young management team is being given the chance to develop and present their style of football; albeit with a restricted budget. It's a pity that the word isn't getting out and more paying punters returning. It seems to me that we are losing more hardcore fans at the start of each season (is this an age thing?). But I also know that times are tough...

I agree with The Arch. While I can accept that Archie has faults I can't think of a realistic choice of manager that I would prefer. He's a Thistle legend and is proving to be a perfectly decent manager - when you think of what has come before and consider potential alternatives I struggle to understand why anyone would want rid of him.

Do the... whisper it... 'the board' deserve a pat on the back for giving us two young managers and for setting in place a half-decent style of football?

My earlier comment (above) related to our current and last manager. In the spirit of all things Christmas I thought it only fair to clarify my post. For the record, I'm not on a fishing expedition; just trying to give some credit where it's due. Credit is also due for the December pricing policy! (I'm guessing that would have been a board decision.)

Maybe all this festive cheer is getting to me...

P.S. Where is Jaggy B? I miss his daily dash of neo-liberal Empire-loyalist nonsense. Maybe Edwina Currie in the jungle is keeping him and Kleenex busy just now.

I agree with the OP with the exception of the Doolan comment. Kris's form can dip at times but he never moans when dropped and bounces back with a few important goals. The management team, like everyone, are learning and improving on the job. Even if we get relegated, I would stick give them the chance to take us back up. If anything, they may need more resources, e.g. scouting and recruitment. The set up at Hearts is working well.

The big positives have been the signings of Higginbotham, Osman, Seaborne and Frans. It is no coincidence that have played at League One level and above. he manager deserves much credit for his handling and development of Gary Fraser. He has also got the best out of the players who he inherited from McNamara.

The main negatives were a few poor signings, especially those who were paid off and terminated. It is also slightly disappointing that a few more of the u20s have not been able to force their way into the starting line-ups. Hopefully, that will happen in the New Year. Ideally, Eccleston and Richards-Everton will compete for starts too.

Whatever happens, we should be enjoying our time back in the top tier.

I was having doubts about Archie at the start of the season, but he's proving me wrong. He has shown he is not afraid to drop regulars for the good of the team. He has improve, IMO,the squad from last season.It took time, but he has. We seem to be getting away from the habit of losing late goals. I don't think we can get any better for the size of us.