Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

I think this was the first Rangers game I was allowed to go to. I also think it was John Hansen's last game, as the ******* at number 3 (Alex Miller) I think is gonna crock him in the game. We got beat 4 nil. It is Ronnie Sheed, John Hansen and .. . possibly Ian Gibson. Date is 27th August 1977.

Edited by The Sunnylaw Jag

As I recall John Hansen's injury was caused when he twisted his knee when turning to face whatever Glasgow Rangers player he was up against - don't think Miller had anything to do with it (it might have been the former Clydebank player Cooper (interestingly played for two clubs which went defunct!) who was on the ball at the time).

I think the Thistle players in the pic are indeed Sheed (at first I thought it was Frank Welsh), J. Hansen and Ian Gibson.

Ronnie Sheed -- not among the players who made the biggest impact at Firhill in his (thankfully) small handful of games.

The photo comes from the cover of the SC semi-final agains them in 1979, yes the one where the linesman and referee contrived to chalk off a perfectly legitimate winning goal.

I am slightly confused about our strips, though. The squad photo for 77-78 shows a broad red stripe down the middle of the chest, and no logo. And yet just into the season (August) the top has changed to a broad yellow stripe down the middle and a logo on the left red stripe. But then in 78-79 and 79-80 there's a new logo in the middle yellow stripe. Does that mean the one in the picture appeared early on in the season and then was dropped at the end of it?

Clearly, this is a pressing issue that requires resolution.

ETA: Interesting to note that six years after the League Cup triumph we still had four of the team playing regularly for us.

Edited by Jaggernaut

This is easy, but hopefully the energy will spread to our striker(s) today.

What's the match? ..... Surely nobody can get that from just the picture!

Untitled_copy.png

Thought I would switch over here for a bit of relief (missus) Well it's Doug Somner and Marrs Bar and ain't got a scooby who it is against. Something that has just struck me is that most of the usual malcontents have never commented on this thread.....maybe tells you something. Us older jags fans are used to what is happening just now. Don't worry guys, you will soon realise this is just the norm for our club

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

I'm amazed at how folk can recognise a tiny, blurred picture of a player from nearly 50 years ago, based just on his vague shape or stance!

TG was one of my favourite players when I was a wean, so that one was easy...lol. Remember I got the No6 on my first jags jersey because of Tommy.

Whatever happened to the poster Tommy Gibb's Mince Recipe? He was one of many sensible posters from the Jagsnet Forum days who seem to have disappeared. Maybe he now posts as The Cup. Just about everyone on the other threads here seems to be permanently raging/seething/outraged with a sense of humour/perspective by-pass.

Some great identifications and stories from you Old Codgers :)