Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

Clearly Derek Johnstone on the left of the photo (dark days indeed). The bloke to his right is familiar but just can't place him; I'm thinking a guy we signed from Queen's Park but just can't dredge up his name. Looks like Kenny Watson in the background.

Edited by Muscat Jag

Clearly Derek Johnstone on the left of the photo (dark days indeed). The bloke to his right is familiar but just can't place him; I'm thinking a guy we signed from Queen's Park but just can't dredge up his name. Looks like Kenny Watson in the background.

I don't know how I missed Johnstone, he can't have played that many games for us. Maybe cos he's too thin in that photo!!! I never spotted Kenny Watson (oops!)

Re John Connolly...I went to to Perthshire V Whitburn Scottish Junior Cup tie as Keppoch Park...caught the first half before walking along to Firhill. Big John gave the Whitburn defence a torrid time. Won everything in the air and scored I think. Was delighted when we signed him but he didnt get a fair crack at the whip. Then as you say was killed in a car crash. Tragic. Talented big lad.

• Like 1

Thought that myself. Jim Baxter was quoted as saying he was the best club player he played alongside.

and his son was Ken McNaught who played over 200 games for Aston Villa in the late 70's but never earned a Scotland. Of course readers of the Scotland Epistles, Bullshit & Thistles #2 magazine would know that already.
  • Like 1

Thistle player is Jackie Rafferty !

Well spotted. Not particularly well known.Played 16 times in 87-88. Sturrock wouldn't get away with no shin guards and socks at his ankles nowadays!

League Cup 19 Aug 1987. 1-4 (Mitchell)

Brough, Pirie, Workman, Dinnie, Spittal, Rafferty,Kelly, Law, Gallagher, McDonald, Mitchell. (Logan, Lydon.)

Well spotted. Not particularly well known.Played 16 times in 87-88. Sturrock wouldn't get away with no shin guards and socks at his ankles nowadays!

League Cup 19 Aug 1987. 1-4 (Mitchell)

Brough, Pirie, Workman, Dinnie, Spittal, Rafferty,Kelly, Law, Gallagher, McDonald, Mitchell. (Logan, Lydon.)

great spot. I didn't think it was Whittaker due to sponsor name on United strip (making it too late for him) and also it looks like no.6 on his jumper. I don't recall Rafferty at all, but the name is familiar now

and his son was Ken McNaught who played over 200 games for Aston Villa in the late 70's but never earned a Scotland. Of course readers of the Scotland Epistles, Bullshit & Thistles #2 magazine would know that already.

Winning the league and European Cup. Can you imagine a Scot doing that now and not being capped.