Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

alex rae, bobby 'annie' lawrie and hugh strachan at boghead?

Two out of three with no problem.

Have a stab at the occasion? (At this stage consulting the Official History book is permitted!)

ETA: Bonus point for correctly identifying their No. 10....

Edited by Jaggernaut

Can't be 1970, As that's the '72-73 (?) strip we have on. Thought that was Hugh Strachan as well. I'll hazard a gues at either Charlie Smith or Robert Gray. Is it the Scottish Cup 1/4 final, 1-0 to Dumbarton. An Ian Wallace goal and is that Ian Wallace (no.10)?

could well be ian wallace's ginger mop. charlie smith, eh? as walter smith said of alexei mikhailichenko: 'he shows great economy of movement...'

Herriot was in goals but neither Lawrie of Rae were playing.

Assuming Boghead, Lawrie, Strachan and Rae, I think it can only be one of 2 games:-

27 Feb 1971 2-2 draw McQuade and Bone

Rough, Reid, Campbell, Smith, McKinnon, Strachan, McQuade, Coulston, Bone, Rae, Lawrie.

or

24 Feb 1973 2-2 draw in Scottish Cup Glavin and Lawrie.

Rough, Hansen, Gray, Glavin, Campbell, Strachan, Chalmers, Coulston, Craig, Rae, Lawrie.

Wallace was No 10 for Dumbarton that day.

• Members

As I mentioned previously AFK, it cant be '71 because we didn't have that strip then so it must have been the '73 game. The 3rd player still looks like Hugh Strachan to me, but it could be Robert Gray. I'm sure Hugh always taped his socks under his pads as can be seen in the picture.

eta Looking at it again, that might be Hugh Strachan but I'm now unsure that's Bobby Lawrie. Still going for Gray as the 3rd unidentified player. And I'll have a stab at the Dumbarton 9 as well... John Bourke.

Can't be 1970, As that's the '72-73 (?) strip we have on. Thought that was Hugh Strachan as well. I'll hazard a gues at either Charlie Smith or Robert Gray. Is it the Scottish Cup 1/4 final, 1-0 to Dumbarton. An Ian Wallace goal and is that Ian Wallace (no.10)?

Sorry for the confusion, Willjag. Robphil got the three Thistle players right: Rae, Lawrie and Strachan, and he got the opposition right (Dumbarton). The third question related to the match itself.

Herriot was in goals but neither Lawrie of Rae were playing.

Assuming Boghead, Lawrie, Strachan and Rae, I think it can only be one of 2 games:-

27 Feb 1971 2-2 draw McQuade and Bone

Rough, Reid, Campbell, Smith, McKinnon, Strachan, McQuade, Coulston, Bone, Rae, Lawrie.

or

24 Feb 1973 2-2 draw in Scottish Cup Glavin and Lawrie.

Rough, Hansen, Gray, Glavin, Campbell, Strachan, Chalmers, Coulston, Craig, Rae, Lawrie.

Wallace was No 10 for Dumbarton that day.

24 February 1973 it is!!!

And it is indeed Willie Wallace making an arse of himself.

However, Winter of '63's shout of Gray instead of Lawrie might actually be spot on; it was actually my first thought when I saw the picture.