Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

That's a brilliant picture! Presumably the wall was a continuation of the high shed wall and was like that for the dugs. (Last race meeting at Firhill was January 1957). I think the wall was demolished and the terracing extended nearer the goal in the early sixties. Question is, was there ever a high wall at the north end? I don't think so, as there was a large space between the goal and the terracing, probably enough for the track and the punters sufficiently far back, but maybe somebody knows differently. I notice a wee blue car or two in the pic; no space for them after the redevelopment of that end. Based on paralytic thistle's great memory for the faces, this match must be either: If it's Freddie Renucci in goal, then April 12, 1958 (lost 0-1, crowd 26,000). If it's Tommy Ledgerwood in goal, then it's November 22, 1958) (won 2-0, goals by Smith and Kerr; crowd 20,000). By the way: Tommy Ledgerwood: 338 games for Thistle -- Legend! He also scored one goal; I wonder how that came about?

Looks like Davie Mathers behind JD as for Ledgerwood 3 Thistle fans of distinct Thistle parentage (who don't know each other) have all told me of their fathers issues with Ledgerwood.

And these pictures answer my question from a day or two ago...

We played the 70-71 season without a Thistle on our chest and no stripe down the side of our shorts or on the socks. This is definitely one of the best threads there's been on this forum for us older Jags fans anyway!

The otherwise excellent "historicalkits.co.uk" appears to have it wrong. They show us wearing the classic hooped jersey up until 1971, then yellow with red badge early on in 71-72, replaced by yellow with white badge later in 71-72. They clearly don't know about the badge-less version of the yellow top that we wore throughout the championship-winning season of 70-71.

Edited by Jaggernaut

We've just lost a goal in the League Cup Final. Who are the Jags players?

158_lg_cup_mod.jpg

Note the short-sleeved V-neck version of the classic strip!

25 October 1958. 1-5.

Ledgerwood Hogan Donlevy Mathers Davidson Wright McKenzie Thomson Smith McParland Ewing.

l-r Ledgerwood Davidson Mathers and Hogan (?). Certainly No 2 on his back but it doesn't look like him although it was his first full season and he was just a youngster.

25 October 1958. 1-5.

Ledgerwood Hogan Donlevy Mathers Davidson Wright McKenzie Thomson Smith McParland Ewing.

l-r Ledgerwood Davidson Mathers and Hogan (?). Certainly No 2 on his back but it doesn't look like him although it was his first full season and he was just a youngster.

i was there - slumped in the front row of the stand beside my late father

25 October 1958. 1-5. Ledgerwood Hogan Donlevy Mathers Davidson Wright McKenzie Thomson Smith McParland Ewing. l-r Ledgerwood Davidson Mathers and Hogan (?). Certainly No 2 on his back but it doesn't look like him although it was his first full season and he was just a youngster.

Hmm, some question marks over Ledgerwood in that game and at least one other, it would appear. He never played for us again after the mysterious 10-1 defeat in the final game of the season that saw Dunfermline stay up.

Hmm, some question marks over Ledgerwood in that game and at least one other, it would appear. He never played for us again after the mysterious 10-1 defeat in the final game of the season that saw Dunfermline stay up.

:o OMG! You reckon he could have been "dodgy"? He did let 21 goals over his last 5 games - maybe he was just plain old-fashioned dodgy by the end.

Mind, John Freebairn let in 10 at home to the Hibees next season... these scores could happen...

Talking about dodgy goalkeepers, here's another one I believe. Given his training method it is no surprise we got relegated that year, mind you were the wages that bad! I've only got a few more mags to post from though. Mind you if anyone is wanting to get rid of some or sell me some please let me know. This is from December 6th 1969, issue of Goal.

http://znvcsi.jpg

Edited by The Sunnylaw Jag

or maybe he was just dodgy full stop :happy2:

I see that Tommy Ledgerwood played 338 games for Thistle. It's reasonable to assume that he must have been a fairly competent Keeper.

I don't know anything about the background other a vague suggestion that some of our players in the embarassing defeat by 10-1 which saved Dunfermline from relegation were not trying their very hardest.

Sounds like there is a very interesting but uncomfortable bit of Club History which remains untold. Your posts have given a good hint.

My abiding memory of Billy Ritchie is that he was our Keeper in the 8-1 hammering by St Johnstone at Firhill. That was one of the first games I went to on my own rather than my father taking me...I was traumatised for some time afterwards. As far as I know, Ritchie just wasn't very good by the time he signed for us.

Edited by Winter of '63

My abiding memory of Billy Ritchie is that he was our Keeper in the 8-1 hammering by St Johnstone at Firhill. That was one of the first games I went to on my own rather than my father taking me...I was traumatised for some time afterwards. As far as I know, Ritchie just wasn't very good by the time he signed for us.

Mabawzur was fat, slow, and past it when he came to us. We were on a downward spiral under Scott Symon.

I would agree with that and I would guess it is George Shaw on the left of the picture. As for the midweek mauling , I remember having to chose to go and see the Jags or the Black Crowes at the Barrowlands that night. One of my top ten favourite gigs ever, although the result did take the wind oot the sails a wee bit after.

Thanks to Jaggernaut some cracking pictures of Firhill from 1977 are now up on my web-site.

http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry.com/page/v+Dundee+United+%28H%29+LC+1975

I'm been posting pics the past few weeks in the Fellow Jags Facebook page and my Twitter page @stuthejag

Always looking for any volunteers or contributions to add to the Archive site.