Bryan Hodge

Stephen1876

When we signed Bryan Hodge last season, he came with a lot of promise and, after an injury disrupted start, seemed to be living up to that promise. He was excellent in that wee spell that we had between September and October last year. However, the day we went to Ross County in the driving wind and pouring rain, he had a poor match and was withdrawn around the hour mark. Since then, he has been awful, looking something akin to Darren Brady. He is slow, weak, and only passses backwards.

What does everyone think happened to him? And can he get some of his form back from early last season?

I don't think so, he can move on in January for all I care. He simply isnt good enough, and I seriously doubt he will ever be able to reach the ability of our other CM's like cairney, rowson, flannigan and jaggy mc.

As you said we were kinna optimistic about a Blackburn midfielder joining our ranks, but now we can see why the only appearance he made was during a cup match with Blyth Spartans, sorry Bryan :(

He was excellent in that wee spell that we had between September and October last year.

Agreed. I remember him coming on as a sub at Firhill and turning a game.

He "got the ball down and passed it", as they say. With both feet.

Something has gone badly wrong.

If we play with 3 in midfield he won't get a sniff.

Agreed. I remember him coming on as a sub at Firhill and turning a game.

He "got the ball down and passed it", as they say. With both feet.

Something has gone badly wrong.

If we play with 3 in midfield he won't get a sniff.

I was also impressed by his start last season, and had high hopes. Perhaps his style does not fit in with the way McCall sets out the team? Anyway after the good start he seemed to become, (what's he word?) yes, ponderous and slow.His pedigree is (was?) good. The product has not lived up to it.

How often have we seen schoolboy wonders bloom briefly and fade out limply. Steve Lennon anyone?

Firstly on Saturday our win was inspired by a team performance rather than individual brilliance. Just because Hodge didn't play doesn't mean that he wouldn't have contributed. I get the impression that the those who were on Boyle's back are the same folk who slag Hodge. I think that's got to be said before criticising the guy.

Hodge to me has a couple of serious faults.

Firstly, altho' he appears to have decent vision and passing ability, he predominently wants to do the elaborate thing forsaking simple ball retention and easy lay offs. Result, too often of late he either gets caught in possession or gives the ball away.

Secondly, although he can be played elsewhere, his favoured position appears to be as a rather defensive central midfielder. His tackling isn't up to that position. He's brave enough but his timing of a tackle is shocking and I'm surprised he han't picked up a straight red by now.

On Saturday I'd imagine on form MacBeth would have merited a place on the bench ahead of Hodge but MacBeth isn't left sided. I still feel Hodge could come good but if he doesn't improve on either his tackling and/or his distribution it's going to be in a more attacking role and then more than likely as a stand in for the much more accomplished Flannigan.

I'm wondering if Hodge's problem is down to confidence. He's certainly talented enough but doesn't seem to get the whole work rate thing at First Division level - basically you've got to win the physical battle before you can put your foot on the ball and show off your silky skills...

C'mon Bryan - use Paddy Boyle as an inspiration and prove us wrong!

:thumbsup2:

I'm increasinly inclined to write Hodge off, but then I'd written Paddy Boyle off by the end of last season.

He (Hodge) definitely had something about him in terms of being able to play a cracking pass, the problem was the ratio of good passes : woeful ones disappeared over the season.

As mentioned above, his tackling is also dreadful- any sign of a hard 50/50 challenge coming his way and he slides in studs up from about 5 yards away. He'll do someone (most likely himself) a bad injury if he keeps on like that.