Jags Fan Given Football Banning Order For Racial Abuse

CCjag

The guy is a complete embarrassment. His attempt to defend himself in the paper the week after only dug himself a deeper grave than he already had. There were several people sitting near him who heard exactly what he said yet he chose to contact the press to deny the whole thing? I have also come across a few jags fans who have defended him and don't think what he did was that bad.

Probably the most worrying thing for me.

I don't see anything wrong with the club the racist/sectarian fan follows being named. Everyone will know Thistle don't have a problem with sectarian or racial abusive fans but every club will have their idiots and this will always be the case.

Yes, but my point with this is how it is covered in the media. Huge numbers of Rangers fans sing bigoted songs and usually no mention in the media - one fan of a wee club does something like this and it's a story. I know all fans have their idiots but I'd prefer if the media would treat all alike when reporting but it doesn't seem to be the case.

• Like 2

How do they enforce the ban.? If he turns up and pays at the gate would he be recognised ? Doubt it.Should be made to report to a police station each time a game is being played.

On a similar note I've often thought that it was likely that Scottish players in the English leagues were racially abused .You can imagine someone like Vinnie Jones calling Billy Bremner a "wee Scottish b******d " (heightism and racism) yet I don't ever remember any Scottish players complaining about abuse.Are we more thick skinned than other nations

I don't see anything wrong with the club the racist/sectarian fan follows being named.

Everyone will know Thistle don't have a problem with sectarian or racial abusive fans but every club will have their idiots and this will always be the case.

But for other so-called "minor" offences - housebreaking, minor assault, driving offences etc, and even for some much more serious offences - the individual's name is usually not given in the headline. I just find it odd that it was included on this occasion.

I don't get this argument, myself. No matter how much I drink or how steaming I am, I have no difficulty in not being a racist prick.

That's probably because you are not a racist prick, which is to your credit. Unfortunately, some people are racist pricks, as well as various other hues of prickishness. The trouble is, it is impossible to determine who is and isn't a prick when he or she purchases their ticket, but often people reveal themselves as pricks once they have had a sufficient amount of bevy in them.

Alcohol reduces inhibitions. We live in a society where racism is no longer socially acceptable but drinking to excess is. If we were at a point where the second part was under control then I wouldn't even be making this argument, but encouraging even more drinking, at this point in time, in my opinion, increases the potential for similar incidents, which no one wants to see.

You may not agree with that, which is fair enough, but it isn't a hard strand of logic to follow.

That's probably because you are not a racist prick, which is to your credit. Unfortunately, some people are racist pricks, as well as various other hues of prickishness. The trouble is, it is impossible to determine who is and isn't a prick when he or she purchases their ticket, but often people reveal themselves as pricks once they have had a sufficient amount of bevy in them.

Alcohol reduces inhibitions. We live in a society where racism is no longer socially acceptable but drinking to excess is. If we were at a point where the second part was under control then I wouldn't even be making this argument, but encouraging even more drinking, at this point in time, in my opinion, increases the potential for similar incidents, which no one wants to see.

You may not agree with that, which is fair enough, but it isn't a hard strand of logic to follow.

Not a lot to disagree with there.

Of course some people also reveal themselves to be racist even without drinking alcohol.

• Like 1

We are PTFC we are better than the old firm and shouldn't gauge our standards by them. This idiot has let us all down and deserves no sympathy we are better off without him. Good riddance and well done to the club for their statement confirming their intolerance of this type of behaviour.

• Like 1

We are PTFC we are better than the old firm and shouldn't gauge our standards by them. This idiot has let us all down and deserves no sympathy we are better off without him. Good riddance and well done to the club for their statement confirming their intolerance of this type of behaviour.

Agree with all that.

I do tho' believe the Club may have been well advised to issue a follow up statement (via press release and website) coinciding or immediately after this BBC report, if only to reiterate our total condemnation of this unfortunate event. Our previous statement will have been long forgotten by the general public. Just that extra wee bit of PR we often miss out on.