The Penalty Incident Today

thebiglemon

No-one on Sportscene claimed it was a penalty.

It's not a pointless argument. I recorded it. No-one other than Teale claims it's a penalty. Not the commentator. Not the presenter. Not the pundits.

Turns out I wasn't dreaming.

(Commentator) Brian Mcloughlin - "Naismith goes to ground, referee Craig Thompson says no penalty. Well, they went shoulder to shoulder, the incident was outside the box, but either way, the referee Craig Thompson said play on."

Gary Teale - "There's very small margins in this league, and these are big decisions, it's no just myself, it seems to be week in, week out, whatever game it is, there's big calls going against teams, and when you're down fighting for your life and you've got calls like that, then as I say, it's hard to take."

Jonathan Sutherland - "Could have been though, a different game, potentially, if something happened here, to Conrad Balatoni when he brings down Gary Naismith, doesn't he?"

Scott MacDonald - "You can see why Gary Teale's upset about it, I mean we've got the luxury of the replay, but even so, how the linesman thinks that he has got the ball from behind the man is quite incredible. That could, as you said, it could have changed the game, it's the last man, it's a red card, you know, Gary Teale will feel very hard done by, looking back at that."

The commentator has no opinion on the incident, but the other three think it was a penalty.

You've got it recorded though, so you must know what you're talking about. Tit.

At least Gary Teale was talking immediately after the game - those two idiots in the studio have just watched the replay and still think it's a penalty.

Turns out I wasn't dreaming.

(Commentator) Brian Mcloughlin - "Naismith goes to ground, referee Craig Thompson says no penalty. Well, they went shoulder to shoulder, the incident was outside the box, but either way, the referee Craig Thompson said play on."

Gary Teale - "There's very small margins in this league, and these are big decisions, it's no just myself, it seems to be week in, week out, whatever game it is, there's big calls going against teams, and when you're down fighting for your life and you've got calls like that, then as I say, it's hard to take."

Jonathan Sutherland - "Could have been though, a different game, potentially, if something happened here, to Conrad Balatoni when he brings down Gary Naismith, doesn't he?"

Scott MacDonald - "You can see why Gary Teale's upset about it, I mean we've got the luxury of the replay, but even so, how the linesman thinks that he has got the ball from behind the man is quite incredible. That could, as you said, it could have changed the game, it's the last man, it's a red card, you know, Gary Teale will feel very hard done by, looking back at that."

The commentator has no opinion on the incident, but the other three think it was a penalty.

You've got it recorded though, so you must know what you're talking about. Tit.

At least Gary Teale was talking immediately after the game - those two idiots in the studio have just watched the replay and still think it's a penalty.

Tit?

"Something happened here to Conrad Balatoni."

"Something."

"Something."

No mention of a penalty by anyone in the studio. I said above that it needn't have been a penalty to result in a red card.

You can apologise any time you like.

Oh, and Pascali doesn't even comment on the incident yet but he's one of the three who thinks it's a penalty? I don't have any faith in your mind reading skills when you've completely failed to grasp what was actually said, even after transcribing it!

Edited by Dark Passenger

I think we're all forgetting about the great piece of defensive play from Conrad in dragging the ball away after the tackle and getting up and playing it out of defence. In some ways it may have helped the ref make the decision as to how cleanly Balatoni did that.

That's a good point. If both players had just remained sprawling on the deck with the ball loose then a penalty might well have been given. Good piece of work by Conrad to keep control and play it out.