Sticking With A Manager And Bucking The Trend

topcat

Let's call a spade a spade here. It's nothing to do with bucking a trend but everything to do with wanting to give AA as much time as possible to see if he can turn it around.

If it was Dick Campbell or Gerry Collins no one would be on here saying relegation is OK.

Yeah, great idea, let's compare a guy that got us up with an undefeated run, has kept us in the league two years running without the need for play offs and has had one of the lowest budgets, if not the lowest, in the league, with Dickie and Gerry. Dear Lord!

No you won't. You wanted him sacked last season.

It's fans of that type like that are killing football. No wonder people stay away from the game. It's a sport for the spineless.

You want a guy sacked. You pile on the pressure and if it turns around, you shuffle off to the side and kid on it was someone else who was pointing fingers. "Well done Archie".

You either believe he's the right guy or you don't. At least have some conviction.

I think it's fairly obvious what my opinion is. Based on the start to this season, he's not the man for the job.

You have a different opinion. That's what makes life interesting.

Neither of us have a God given right to be correct.

So acknowledge that we all have a right to an opinion and a right to express it. Last time I checked this wasn't an Archibald fan club site but a forum for ALL Thistle fans to say what they think. Maybe you want us all to be arrogant and confrontational like you.

Kind of sad really.

I think it's fairly obvious what my opinion is. Based on the start to this season, he's not the man for the job.

You have a different opinion. That's what makes life interesting.

Neither of us have a God given right to be correct.

So acknowledge that we all have a right to an opinion and a right to express it. Last time I checked this wasn't an Archibald fan club site but a forum for ALL Thistle fans to say what they think. Maybe you want us all to be arrogant and confrontational like you.

Kind of sad really.

Thanks for that. Clearly you are entitled to an opinion. The fact the you suggest Mark McGhee as a replacement and the fact you would judge the manager on 9 games tells us everything we need to know about it's validity.

Yeah, great idea, let's compare a guy that got us up with an undefeated run, has kept us in the league two years running without the need for play offs and has had one of the lowest budgets, if not the lowest, in the league, with Dickie and Gerry. Dear Lord!

If in doubt mention budgets.

Enjoy the game, LOL!

Archie's stats are in the sh*t - but they are far from fatal based on the underlying narrative. As Stephen Craigan said yesterday: "they probably edged it, more of the ball, better use of the ball... we won it, but i'm not sure if we deserved it"

What's needed more than anything right now is for heads to stay up and for the group to stay strong. Archie's Jags can get out of this hole - there's every chance that they will.

Only a gutless relegation would make me change my stance - and, to be fair, there have been moments like that so far this term.

If the nightmare happens, then, as long as we go down fighting, I'd back the Arch to take us back up and make some history by being the first boss to yo-yo.

He'll be learning every day (most especially about the ways of player psyche and character - I bet there's one or two he wouldn't sign again tomorrow) and we should stick with him and reap the longer-term benefits of his building experience.

There's nothing sentimental in well-placed loyalty.

• Like 1

As valid as anyone else's on here, and not your place to dismiss it just because you disagree. But I won't lose any sleep over you disagreeing with it.

Enjoy the game on Saturday. I take it you do go to the games?

Oh yes. I go to games. I didn't make Saturday( personal circumstances) but i'm sure you'll agree inverness midweek makes up for that.

I'm absolutely dismissing your opinion that Mark McGhee is the guy to take Partick Thistle forward. Glad we've got that sorted.

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa

Oh yes. I go to games. I didn't make Saturday( personal circumstances) but i'm sure you'll agree inverness midweek makes up for that.

I'm absolutely dismissing your opinion that Mark McGhee is the guy to take Partick Thistle forward. Glad we've got that sorted.

I would rather have Debbie McGhee in charge!!

• Like 1

Correct.

His record over the past few months is far worse than anything Dickie ever produced.

Hahaha.......you try hard, I will give u that! Just the kind of statement I got suckered into replying to last year....not this year!!

Edited by Lindau

Very common for managers to get sacked when the home crowds start to dip. It's often said on these occasions that it's "fan power what dun it". We're in the rather unique position that our fans drift away when the team and manager are doing exceptionally well. Even so I'm wondering how our fickle following would react to sacking (and paying off) Archie and bringing in Mark McGhee. Hardly methinks the catalyst for a mass return of those missing fans. Imo more likely to be a case of straw and camel.

eta I don't know why I can see the Cup's last post. Must be some sort of flaw in the system when you're posting at the same time.

Anyway somebody point out to him/her that Dick Campbell managed us in in lower leagues and so can't be compared to our present manager in any way whatsoever.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Instead of sticking with what we have and going down or sacking and finding a new manager, what about employing someone like an older head to advise archie. When i say advise i don't mean as in pick his team etc but to guide him. The issue with archie is his tactical knowledge and the fact he doesn't know how to change things.

Mmmmmmm! You want an older head to come in and advise a manager who has been in charge for nearly three years? Good luck with that one!

Not saying i want it, was just a suggestion. He probably should be learning from his mistakes but he doesn't seem to be so maybe someone to look at it with a different pair of eyes could be valuable. Then again maybe not.

That's not an opinion. That is fact.

Exactly, i fear that some people will be delighted if we get relegated as long as we keep archie in charge. One man no matter who is not bigger than the club as a whole. I hope he really can turn things around but i think this season may be his last.