Colour Clashes

Jaggernaut

I just watched the Raith Rovers vs, Hibs highlights from Saturday. Can't believe the referee allowed it to go ahead without demanding a change of strip. Hibs in green with white sleeves, Rovers in dark blue with white sleeves; in the sunlight it's almost impossible to tell them apart. Apparently it had consequences during the game, as nobody was clear about whose arm the ball hit for possible penalty claims.

I can't remember us being involved in any match with a serious clash of colour of strips.

What about the time down at Dumbarton when we were in the half red, half yellow strip and they were in mainly gold shirts?

It was alright when the game was heading to the east, but every time the play moved toward the west all the players looked the same.

We changed at half time.

That was hilarious.

Noticed the Raith & Hibs thingy as well and thought it odd.

What about the time down at Dumbarton when we were in the half red, half yellow strip and they were in mainly gold shirts?

It was alright when the game was heading to the east, but every time the play moved toward the west all the players looked the same.

We changed at half time.

Haha. I wasn't there, but it sounds funny.

Slightly off topic, but the last time we played Dunfermline at East End Park, they were about to go into administration, and could not afford to put on the floodlights. Towards the end of the match, you could hardly see the players, far less recognise them by the colour of their shirts.

We changed at half time.

Remember that when we were 1-0 down, all the Thistle fans were shouting "Change the strips!"

Then when we scored a double salvo and moved to 2-1 up, the shout changed to "Keep the strips!"

Just by coincidence I found the report of the Thistle v Dundee United match in October 1977. There was a lot of giving the ball away in the first half because the red and yellow clashed with United's tangerine. A change of strip to sky blue was ordered by Auld at half-time and the rest is history...a 2-1 win with Somner and Melrose getting the goals.

Just by coincidence I found the report of the Thistle v Dundee United match in October 1977. There was a lot of giving the ball away in the first half because the red and yellow clashed with United's tangerine. A change of strip to sky blue was ordered by Auld at half-time and the rest is history...a 2-1 win with Somner and Melrose getting the goals.

Nice one! Wasn't aware of that.

There was the time in 1996 when East fife visited Firhill and had to change their strip after both teams appeared on the pitch in near identical outfits. I think it was Le Coq Sportif gear that both the teams were wearing ? Anyway the strips were the same template, thin stripes for the top, black shorts and socks, the only difference was red & yellow as opposed to black & gold for the tops. The ref was quite happy to go with this but the booing from the JH stand changed his mind for him. As I recall East Fife disappeared off and reappeared in a vile looking checker board outfit. We won 6-0 :clapping:

Edited by Camallain

I think the combination of sky blue top and red shorts was probably as much to do with the victory as the performance by the players -it was a boggin' combination as i recall! :puke: :puke: :shocked:

Camallin - I remember saying there's a bit of a colour clash to the ref. He said, no it was fine and he had checked the strips before the game and decided there was no clash. I think I said "Seriously?" out loud. Can't remember who the captain was but I remember (might have been Allan Dinne) backup was forthcoming but still the ref was still prepared to carry on. I then think a few other players came over at Alan's prompting to say there was a clash . I heard booing and I then took a few pictures and at point that he asked if they had spare kit and off they went. A bit bizarre but I think at kick off the sun was pretty strong and that was making the clash worse if you had the sun facing you.

Camallin - I remember saying there's a bit of a colour clash to the ref. He said, no it was fine and he had checked the strips before the game and decided there was no clash. I think I said "Seriously?" out loud. Can't remember who the captain was but I remember (might have been Allan Dinne) backup was forthcoming but still the ref was still prepared to carry on. I then think a few other players came over at Alan's prompting to say there was a clash . I heard booing and I then took a few pictures and at point that he asked if they had spare kit and off they went. A bit bizarre but I think at kick off the sun was pretty strong and that was making the clash worse if you had the sun facing you.

Tommy, yes it was farcical! I couldn't believe it when the teams ran out, how that referee felt that there was not a problem is beyond me.

Was the captain not David Farrell ?

I just watched the Raith Rovers vs, Hibs highlights from Saturday. Can't believe the referee allowed it to go ahead without demanding a change of strip. Hibs in green with white sleeves, Rovers in dark blue with white sleeves; in the sunlight it's almost impossible to tell them apart. Apparently it had consequences during the game, as nobody was clear about whose arm the ball hit for possible penalty claims.

I can't remember us being involved in any match with a serious clash of colour of strips.

I think Raith's away strip is green so maybe thats why.

Edited by Gingerjag

I've no way of knowing if this is true or not but many years ago and old Thistle fan from the north of Scotland told me that a match in Elgin (?) in the 20s (or earlier) was played in thick fog. He told me that the home and away dressing rooms were at either end of the pitch. Both teams came out to warm up and when the ref blew his whistle for the captains to come to the centre circle it was only then that he saw the teams were wearing identical strips.