Crunch Time.

The Legend Blows

When are they ready? In 6 months time after playing some reserve games, I doubt it. Other teams have no problem with sticking youth players in. Look at Hamilton, last season they gave a debut to a youth player nearly every game! Some of them were 16/17, I don't see how they are more ready than our guys (who are older & playing in a division lower). Not saying they have to play every minute of every game. I don't think Burns is 'ready' to be in the squad over a sustained period, but with McGeough & MacBeth, I think they are.

I agree. One of the major factors in me renewing my season ticket was to see these guys get a chance. I'd settle for even just one and after the first two games of the season it looked like that would happen.

Although it is very early in the season to be demanding the young players to be replace the senior players, there is no point in McCall saying they will get their chance if they are not even in the squad for matches.

I'd have McBeth over Hodge every time. I'm getting sick of Hodge.

Edited by northernsoul

Buchanan has only scored 4 goals since christmas! He need's the kick up the a*se of being dropped to the bench, if only to remind him he can't rely on his former glories at the blue brazil and sitting up front wi' his thumb in his bum for us, to get a call from a "big team".

Finger Oot Liam and knuckle down to a few extra hours of target practice pal!

Doolan looked keen tonight but not much more. I'm praying McCall might have a loan in the pipe-line to at least help us see double figures on the scoring charts. Greehan has yet to show anything to suggest he can add anything.

I thought Flannigan might deliver something exciting from midfield when he came on, but going by his corners tonight he couldn't threaten the goal if he was driving a tank firing balls from the cannon.

.... just in and still in ma scarf.... Tonight was a big improvement from Greenock. You do gotta wonder what these guys practice in training though. There was some pretty competant stuff in the third quarter of the park. We held possesion well at times. Rowser much better than saturday and Sid added a little composure maybe, but they all just seem to get in each others way, panic or run out of ideas when they hit the opposition box.

We were unlucky. We gifted possesion and they're scorer should have been shut down before his second bite at the cherry. It wasn't our only mistake that led to the goal. They had good chnces just before and after they scored. All in all I though we looked the better team despite our toothless advances. But scoring goals is the name of the game.

Dubious subs from the manager again. Thought Cairney was doing ok. And Doolan promising.

We need Liam to get a grip, Grehan to show he's got it or Doolan to take the opportunity. Up front's not the only problem by any means but yet another opportunity missed by a solitary goal.

I'll not be taking any bets on the bairns drawing one of the big two and getting pumped after a lucrative replay.... just to rub salt in the wounds.

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK!

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

Buchanan- the only player in the team that can score, except he can't score?? WHIT!!!

He deserved to be dropped for tonights game, and I think it worked a bit too, he certainly looked a more dangerous player coming off the bench to an energy sapped defence than he looks starting. The lad should be in the team, but he's lost the right to a starting place, Doolan doesn't have the ability that Buchanan potentially has but he's full of effort and should get a run in that starting 11, let Liam come off the bench and earn back his start, it will then be up to Doolan to prove he's got the right to fight Buchanan for it.

Buchanan- the only player in the team that can score, except he can't score?? WHIT!!!

He deserved to be dropped for tonights game, and I think it worked a bit too, he certainly looked a more dangerous player coming off the bench to an energy sapped defence than he looks starting. The lad should be in the team, but he's lost the right to a starting place, Doolan doesn't have the ability that Buchanan potentially has but he's full of effort and should get a run in that starting 11, let Liam come off the bench and earn back his start, it will then be up to Doolan to prove he's got the right to fight Buchanan for it.

I still think there's a place in the team for Doolan playing out wide regardless of Buchanan. The problem with that is of course playing a system to accommodate, probably a 4-3-3 or 4-3-2-1 but as we have no real dedicated wingers or wingbacks it might be worth a try.

Worst problem for Doolan is he's being judged solely as a goal scorer, which ain't exactly giving him a high rating. I just feel the lad has a wee bit to offer with his athleticism & pace even as a nuisance factor. In other words if someone else was banging in the goals Doolan shouldn't necessarily be discounted from getting a start.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

If the performances and effort are like last night then the results will start to come for us if we can just start to get more shots off and get in amongst the goals.

To be calling for McCall's head when we're in the perilous situation we are in is ludicrous. Gus McPherson's brand of football was loathed by the St Mirren supporters and he'd bring nothing to Firhill that would take the squad we have and turn them into challengers. It's not as if he'll get the opportunity to rip it up and start again when we don't have a pot to piss in now is it?

The squad we have, have shown in the Dundee game and last night's that with 100% effort and by using the fitness they have to chase down the opposition we can take games by the scruff of the neck. What we need to work on now is managing to turn some of the chances we make into goals and the results will come.

Things are not as bad as some make out. And if folk ever thought this season would be anything other than difficult and testing they've gone in to it in a delusional manner in my opinion.

Edited by Vom Itorium

I'm not too bothered about last night's result, as the performance wasn't all that bad. It isn't the end of the world to lose a cup game by the odd goal to a side just down from the SPL even if, in Bunter's spectacularly irrelevant aside they really do have to pay their own hotel bills (whatever that was meant to achieve Ian, it didn't - a bit like some of your substitutions).

However, and this is is an enormous however, nothing less than three points (or just possibly a 5-5 scoreline) will do on Saturday.

And get the Bombscare and Brian Backwards tae f---!

Kinniburgh didn't put a foot wrong last night. Commanding display. I might be wrong, but I also thought it was his header that was cleared off the line. Whether it was or not, he did cause havoc in their box and throw ins.

Agreed, by all accounts it was his header but that was one game - on the whole he is a liability, hence his nickname!

He usually causes havoc in ours!

Edited by Semi Nurainen

pity hodge seems to have become the new target of this type of abuse from sections of the support. i though he did well last night, in terms of the making himself available in good positions, holding up the ball, completed passes and featuring in much of the decent play we produced.

pity hodge seems to have become the new target of this type of abuse from sections of the support. i though he did well last night, in terms of the making himself available in good positions, holding up the ball, completed passes and featuring in much of the decent play we produced.

Hodge was bollocks. Slow of mind and body.

Things are not as bad as some make out. And if folk ever thought this season would be anything other than difficult and testing they've gone in to it in a delusional manner in my opinion.

18 goals in 26 competitive games for 2010 says differently.(5 of those in 3 games against 3rd Div teams) We are awful in the final third and have been for the whole of 2010.

I was aware that this was going to be a hard season, potentially battling relegation but surely a striker must now be a priority before the window shuts. There must be a reserve/young player available somewhere in the UK that we could take a chance on. An SPL under 21 would seem the most likely option and hopefully somebody with the ability to actually put their foot through the ball.

I'm not too bothered about last night's result, as the performance wasn't all that bad. It isn't the end of the world to lose a cup game by the odd goal to a side just down from the SPL even if, in Bunter's spectacularly irrelevant aside they really do have to pay their own hotel bills (whatever that was meant to achieve Ian, it didn't - a bit like some of your substitutions).

However, and this is is an enormous however, nothing less than three points (or just possibly a 5-5 scoreline) will do on Saturday.

True in essence but, I was absolutely gutted about going out the cup. Normally I am more concerned with the league and merely enjoy the infrequent cup runs we have. This year though, not that it hasn't always been so, the potential cash from a "big team" tie could have helped fund a vital loan signing. Makes the nil-one score-line all the more hard to bear as I do think we played well enough to go through.

McCall's line about the Falkirk players paying they're way was just another indication to the fans that money's tight all over scotland. McCall talking money again might suggest he's trying to justify walking away and he's quite entitled to compare his budget to others in the league.

It also reminds us that Falkirk might be in the perilous position of paying SPL wages on a budget which barely meets SFL requirements without any guarantee of promotion. He went on to say that "Given the disparity in wages between their players and ours I don’t think I would have the temerity to ask my players to do the same.” I respect that. What's the point of giving with one hand and taking with the other?

Speculate to accumulate? Certainly. But you can't play poker if you gots no chips!

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz