Sellik Game 12/03/16

Lindau

David Rowson would have pointed at the big gap and told someone else to cover. He'd probably have followed the ball into the net to show the fans how hard he was working to defend the counter attack.

what a lot of shite

hardest working most commited jag ive ever seen

edit: see my sig!!

Edited by chunky jag
  • Like 1

No coincidence that we won the league as soon as we got rid of Rowson. The guy flattered to deceive in the extreme.

Running about the pitch pointing at people doesn't equal commitment. Replacing him with Hugh Murray was a sensible move and really paid off for the first half of that season.

We all want to see the best players at Firhill and that means getting money in.It would be great if we could fill Firhill with Thistle fans for these games but we cant, so the best way to get a bigger crowd in is by giving them the JHS.When the other half of the ugly side of our game come up next season we should do the same every penny counts.If we were playing either of these teams in a major cup final how many of the fans who said they don't go to league games would go?There I no difference as we would be outnumbered at a cup final as well.

No coincidence that we won the league as soon as we got rid of Rowson. The guy flattered to deceive in the extreme.

Running about the pitch pointing at people doesn't equal commitment. Replacing him with Hugh Murray was a sensible move and really paid off for the first half of that season.

I think you've got a point Ian, but by that point Rowson's legs had gone... look, I've never hid my affection for what Murray brought to the team, he added a real desire we had been missing. With Paton beside him we had an "engine room" to be feared. Tough tackling with the ability to play a killer pass. They were winners.

Lets not forget, in his first season in the Premier League, who was Rowson's main competition for the jersey? Stuart Taylor, John Paul McBride? We were an appauling team with absolute wasters in the squad.

In his second spell, we had guys like Cairney, Harkins, Chaplain, McKeown, Donnelly, Roberton, all playing a major part in our "success".

Look, people are welcome to their opinion, I just never saw the attraction.

Edited by potty trained

That's not strictly true chunky jag. Murray was injured for much of the 2nd half of the season.

Let's also not forget that we won the first 6 games of that season as well, with Murray playing every single minute of them. In the 1-0 win away at Dunfermline I thought he was the best man on the park that day.

Let's ask both players to count their league winners medals shall we?

Always thought some of the adulation Rowson got was a bit OTT but he was a decent servant for the Jags and had more good games than bad.

Likewise, never quite got the praise that Murray got. Was decent enough early on in the season but wasn't exactly missed when he was out was he?

Like PT says, all about opinions.

p.s. comparing players on medals won doesn't really work, Djimi Traore has a Champions League winners medal and I wouldn't have had him in a Thistle team!

I never rated him, start of season i agree, him and paton were outstanding in that run up til the draw at starks park, felt his season went off the rails after the sending offs etc. In terms of league winners medals - i cant be bothered looking at it, but im guessing murray spent a bit of time yo-yoing with st mirren then obviously ourselves, i wouldnt say its an out and out determining factor in a footballers overall ability. Lets compare how many medals alan shearer won compared with phil neville then? And Rowser spent a bit more time in the spl than murray did i wd guess ?? Could be wrong!! had scotland u21 honours also.

Guess we need to disagree on this one, i would point to the fact that rowser won several player of the year awards during his time at thistle also, im not in the minority im sure. Yes u can spin it he played in a poorer team/teams, but the suggestion that he was holding us back from winning a league title to me is nowhere near fair, but its all about opinions

Murray came in and did a good job for a short time, helped get our season off to a flyer. Rowson's legs were indeed gone by then so any comparison is rather spurious. By the second half of that season Murray's legs were also shot and Paton by that time had made that position very much his own. I don't know for certain that Murray was of considerable influence on Paton but definitely believe so.

Rowson too was very influential.. Apart from Grady that dreadful season, Rowson was our next best player by a mile. I don't need to compare him to the dross we had competing for midfield.That's the same as saying Grady wasn't up to much as he only had to compete for a place with Bonnes and Thomson. I'd rather compare Rowson to other SPL players he was competing against and imo he stood up very well.

During the McCall years Rowson was our most consistent performer. Did most of the dirty work very effectively that ensured guys like Harkins, Cairney etc could shine.

• Like 1

All about opinions but for me, Rowson has been one of the great unsung heroes during my time as a supporter. A guy who single-handedly kept our midfield together at times, he was a terrific grafter and a consummate professional. Also the scorer of some outrageous goals - I don't think there was a dry eye in the stadium when he hit that howitzer in the last game of the season against Raith Rovers, only a few days after his old man had passed away.

He slowed down in his last season and perhaps wasn't quite as capable of the box-to-box action that he was renowned for but that shouldn't take away from his previous seasons where he was one of the constants in a period of transition which sees us where we are today. Murray came in at the right time and did a good job but by that point he was a different player to Rowson; back in the day, Murray would have matched Rowson every yard but as everyone will recall, he was very much a sitter in midfield for us. So it wasn't so much as replacing a player with a superior one - more swapping one style for another. If anything Paton replaced Rowson and I don't think anyone would argue that he did a fine job in doing so.

One of the only regrets about our Championship winning season was that Rowser never got to the lift the trophy which I think was a great injustice for his service to the club.

I totally agree, rowser played in some tough times for thistle, imo, no jags player would have been more deserving if a medal!!

Im not looking to bring down murray, i didnt make the origin comparison, but im just surprised that quite a few people so readily dismiss rowser as a player and his contribution. But then i think other players are diddies who would probably surprise u guys, thats why we have the forum so we can chat about the jags