Sellik Game 12/03/16

Lindau

Trying hard to remember the St Johnstone goal. Certainly it was a fantastic cross so a bit of credit to the attacking team. Tomas (whom I admire greatly) was caught under the ball, so if you are to insist on blame apportionment then he would have to take his share. The far post territory where the cross fell was on the right hand side of our defence, thus was not on Dan's wing. Therefore possibly some fault on the part of Gary Millar or the right centre back (i have forgotten whether it was Freddie or Liam).

At worst, Dan was part of a collective failure shared by several others, so to make him sole scapegoat seems a tad unfair.

Ross Forbes had his faults, but his corners were delicious.

Have we had many outstanding set piece takers in recent years? Boab McCulloch is the obvious one. Conceding a free kick within 100 yards of the goal was like conceding a penalty when he was about.

It's the teethgrinding inevitability of results in games against these guys does my head in.

I like Booth as a player but he plays a five metre pass while surging forward, misses the target and is comprehensively out of position for the second. Instead of pushing for the equaliser we're two down and it's game over.

I like Booth as a player but he plays a five metre pass while surging forward, misses the target and is comprehensively out of position for the second. Instead of pushing for the equaliser we're two down and it's game over.

One of the first things Archie did when he took over was to restrain the full backs slightly especially when we were ahead in the game. When we're chasing games however we inevitably rely on them to put the pressure on. Not enough comes thru the middle. When they make errors it's usually the defensive midfielder who drops in somewhere along the back four with a centreback moving across to cover. Gotta admit in this specific instance Booth's poor pass combined with Celtic's quick counter caught us on the hop. I feel the culpability should be shared between Booth and the backline. Booth for straying into an area where losing possession is more harmful and the backline for being slow to reorganise.

I was an arm-chair viewer on Saturday - partly due to my continued winless attendance record and partly due to my dislike of seeing Celtic take over the stadium despite the financial benefits - so my observations were likely slightly limited.

All things considered, it wasn't actually that bad a result. I mean, any defeat is a bad result but Celtic should have had us dead and buried before we somehow got a penalty; 2-1 was a flattering scoreline and meant that we escaped with minimal damage to our goal difference. It sounds very defeatist, I know, but to end a week where we've played each of the top three teams in the league and to be only three goals worse off is perhaps a silver lining - a very thin silver lining but one all the same. Especially with the league as congested as it is, goal difference might be a crucial factor over the coming weeks.

If we had managed to get in at half-time at 0-0, it might have been a bit of a different game. As much as Celtic ended the first half with a bit of an onslaught on our goal, I think the tail-end of the game demonstrated their confidence issues and if we had managed to keep it tight for the first 15 minutes of the second half, we might have had a chance of nicking something. If it's still level in the second half then Booth isn't caught badly out of position (although why nobody covered his run forward, God only knows) and we're not left wide open for the second goal. All ifs, buts and maybes as it so often is against the Old Firm.

Seaborne's performance has highlighted the fact he's a bit of a polarising figure. Griffiths' goal (which was a very well taken goal to be fair) was the result of a catalogue of errors - Amoo sleeping and being caught by Tierney, Fraser and Miller failing to deal with GMS and Seaborne sitting about a yard too deep as he did increasingly throughout the match; if you had listened to Mark McGhee, you might have added Cerny failing to get a stronger hand to Griffiths' shot but I think that is harsh considering the power and proximity. So, not solely Seaborne's fault.

My main gripe with Seaborne is his distribution which I think often leaves a lot to be desired. I can recall one game, last season's pumping of Hamilton, where he was pinging cross-field passes for fun but that was certainly the exception rather than the rule. However, we've all seen some quite abhorrent centre halves in our respective times watching Thistle and Seaborne is certainly far from being anywhere near the worst. From what I've seen this season, he's been more of the covering centre half, allowing Lindsay to be the more dominant one who comes out to challenge in the air. I thought he was at his best last season when he was the aggressor, and I thought that was why he and Frans never made the best of partnerships because they both wanted to do the same thing.

Elsewhere, I thought Gary Fraser continued to show a bit more maturity in his game - I'm very glad to see the back of his incessant wild swings a goal when within 40 yards. He's provided a similar energy that I thought we would miss in Bannigan's absence, and I think he makes Doolan/Pogba's lives a bit easier by getting up alongside them. Next season is a bit of make-or-break one for Fraser even though he's only 21 - he's got a real chance of making a jersey his own when Bannigan leaves so here's hoping he can take it because he's a great talent; his switches of play are a joy to watch and he makes it look effortless.

Welsh sometimes reminds me of the boy in school who was just so much better than everyone else that he tried to hold onto the ball as long as possible. There's rarely any urgency in his game. I vividly recall a game where he did have a bit of urgency about him - 1-1 with Hearts in our first season back up - and he was head and shoulders above anybody on the pitch, he was playing a different game. But he doesn't do that anywhere near enough, he's coasting through games at the moment and not in the good way.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Four big games coming up. Dare I say it, with a little bit of fortune and a couple of good results, we could enter the split pretty much safe which would be, without doubt, the best achievement of any Thistle team I've seen.

• Like 2

1st half thought we did ok. Lindsay & Doolan had efforts. Cerzny made a good save. Whenever Griffiths or Commons got the ball I cacked it. Poor goal to lose especially just before half time with a number of players complacent.

2nd half we showed them to much respect, backed off and basically shat it. We got the goal and you saw Celtic worry. Really should have troubled them more with some poor free kicks and corners. I really hate those wee dinky crosses that have no place on them. That's the type of cross I put in at 7's as I don't have skill for accuracy and power. Would hope professionals do.

Don't understand why Brown was not targeted. He's a good player but a hot head. A number of challenges from different players would help. Griffiths carries that whole team and Mulgrew and Tierney are solid. Mulgrew coached the whole back 4 through the game. Always talking.

Amoo did well. Much improved since start of the season. Thought Booth was decent. Osman 2nd best after Cerzny who was correctly MOTM. Liked the urgency Elliott and Edwards showed when they came on. Edwards was very poor that home game he started but was better in his 5+ mins that whole of home debut 45. Pogba runs like the fast kid who I'd forced to do P.E. I'd rather keep Doolan on. A big battering ram with limited service but that's it.

Moving to the main stand did not bother me. Have no great love for my season ticket seat, Jackie Husband stand or even Firhill as a stadium. Was nice to have a change and see a reasonably full stadium. The poles are a pain but in was in and out of stadium easy with limited interaction with the uglies and it makes sense £££. Should carry on with Rangers visits next year.

Should carry on with Rangers visits next year.

Firstly apologies for the selective quoting. Much as I agreed with the move to the Main Stand this season I think any idea of permanence that could involve four such moves next season requires at least consultation.

I agreed with the move over this season basically as our season ticket sales were lower than I assume the Club anticipated. Personally I believe increasing ST sales is the single most important issue the Club need to address. How they do this (or attempt to do it) will be difficult. I'd respectfully suggest that promoting such sales will be considerably hampered if prospective customers realise that 10% of the package involves relocation.

I'm one who realises the value of choice and who believes the Club should seriously look into introducing a non OF ST package. In support of this I believe most folk who buy a ST purchase it on the understanding you have a designated seat for ALL home league matches. I honestly feel that even maintaining our current level of ST sales will be a very hard sell if it involves even three, never mind four, moves across.

• Like 2

Over the last few games , we've kind of started going back to the same mistakes as we did at the start of the season, defensive midfielders not covering when Booth moves forward ( Celtic on Satutrday and Motherwell away ) , Doolan going back to mark Simon Church against Aberdeen, not sure if Seabourne organises the defence but why would you match up Doolan against Simon Church's physique . Hopefully that's the end of the basic errors.

• Like 1

I was an arm-chair viewer on Saturday - partly due to my continued winless attendance record and partly due to my dislike of seeing Celtic take over the stadium despite the financial benefits - so my observations were likely slightly limited.

All things considered, it wasn't actually that bad a result. I mean, any defeat is a bad result but Celtic should have had us dead and buried before we somehow got a penalty; 2-1 was a flattering scoreline and meant that we escaped with minimal damage to our goal difference. It sounds very defeatist, I know, but to end a week where we've played each of the top three teams in the league and to be only three goals worse off is perhaps a silver lining - a very thin silver lining but one all the same. Especially with the league as congested as it is, goal difference might be a crucial factor over the coming weeks.

If we had managed to get in at half-time at 0-0, it might have been a bit of a different game. As much as Celtic ended the first half with a bit of an onslaught on our goal, I think the tail-end of the game demonstrated their confidence issues and if we had managed to keep it tight for the first 15 minutes of the second half, we might have had a chance of nicking something. If it's still level in the second half then Booth isn't caught badly out of position (although why nobody covered his run forward, God only knows) and we're not left wide open for the second goal. All ifs, buts and maybes as it so often is against the Old Firm.

Seaborne's performance has highlighted the fact he's a bit of a polarising figure. Griffiths' goal (which was a very well taken goal to be fair) was the result of a catalogue of errors - Amoo sleeping and being caught by Tierney, Fraser and Miller failing to deal with GMS and Seaborne sitting about a yard too deep as he did increasingly throughout the match; if you had listened to Mark McGhee, you might have added Cerny failing to get a stronger hand to Griffiths' shot but I think that is harsh considering the power and proximity. So, not solely Seaborne's fault.

My main gripe with Seaborne is his distribution which I think often leaves a lot to be desired. I can recall one game, last season's pumping of Hamilton, where he was pinging cross-field passes for fun but that was certainly the exception rather than the rule. However, we've all seen some quite abhorrent centre halves in our respective times watching Thistle and Seaborne is certainly far from being anywhere near the worst. From what I've seen this season, he's been more of the covering centre half, allowing Lindsay to be the more dominant one who comes out to challenge in the air. I thought he was at his best last season when he was the aggressor, and I thought that was why he and Frans never made the best of partnerships because they both wanted to do the same thing.

Elsewhere, I thought Gary Fraser continued to show a bit more maturity in his game - I'm very glad to see the back of his incessant wild swings a goal when within 40 yards. He's provided a similar energy that I thought we would miss in Bannigan's absence, and I think he makes Doolan/Pogba's lives a bit easier by getting up alongside them. Next season is a bit of make-or-break one for Fraser even though he's only 21 - he's got a real chance of making a jersey his own when Bannigan leaves so here's hoping he can take it because he's a great talent; his switches of play are a joy to watch and he makes it look effortless.

Welsh sometimes reminds me of the boy in school who was just so much better than everyone else that he tried to hold onto the ball as long as possible. There's rarely any urgency in his game. I vividly recall a game where he did have a bit of urgency about him - 1-1 with Hearts in our first season back up - and he was head and shoulders above anybody on the pitch, he was playing a different game. But he doesn't do that anywhere near enough, he's coasting through games at the moment and not in the good way.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Four big games coming up. Dare I say it, with a little bit of fortune and a couple of good results, we could enter the split pretty much safe which would be, without doubt, the best achievement of any Thistle team I've seen.

Likewise, I was an absentee from Firhill on Saturday - a combination of the early Kick Off, being decanted from the JHS and a general feeling that sharing our stadium with 5,000 Celtic fans would not be a life-enhancing experience - so I am only commenting on performances I've seen this and previous seasons.

Seabourne is a big physical centre half who has at least reduced the number of soft goals we lose from set-pieces - in out first season up we regularly outplayed the opposition only to be bullied by the opposition at corners & free-kicks and conceding easy goals. My main gripe about Seabourne is his uncanny ability to clear the ball, even with unchallenged headers, direct to an opponent...by the Law of Averages, he should occasionally find a team-mate.

Agree about Welsh - he ran the game you mentioned against Hearts in the first half but was injured and didn't make the second. I had hoped that he would be a real asset this season but although he is a good footballer, you have to have outstanding talent to hold on to the ball in midfield failing which you will be caught in possession and/or get kicked.

I dont get peoples points about not wanting to go because of the thousands of Celtic fans unless you have just started to support the Jags through the 90,s and beyond then thousands of the Old firm turning up at Firhill and taking over the stadium was the norm. In fact you were lucky if you got a pocket of supporters under the shed at times. The way its done now is a lot better than it use to be especially if you had the audacity to beat them all those years ago...no chance of leaving the ground without some ugly sister either spitting on you or wanting to punch your head off.

The way its doen now is miles better and benefits the club greatly both ways

• Like 2

The worst treatment of Thistle fans at Firhill was some years ago when Rangers fans were given the whole stadium with the exception of the Main Stand enclosure where angry Jags season ticket holders were corralled.

I felt that the atmosphere on Saturday was the least poisonous of any OF game at Firhill in my experience.

Yip, I have to say I didn't see any problems on Saturday inside or outside of the ground.

Both sets of fans happily mixing before and after the game in the S&G. Got chatting with an Irish guy after the game who said that he thinks we could be a top 6 side if we had a bit more belief about us. Have to say I agree with him, especially when it comes to games against the OF.

Saturday's game was summed up for me in the first half when the ball went to Lawless about 40 yards out from the Celtic goal. He was in space, had time to control it and run into the penalty box. Briefly got excited at the prospect of the player who scored crackers againt St Johnstone and Aberdeen getting the opportunity to take on a Celtic defender and get a shot at goal. Instead, he tried a first time pass to Fraser who was already being closed down by a defender and managed to direct the ball straight to said defender, rather than his teammate. I've been to all the Celtic games at Firhill in recent years (and the 6-0 thrashing at Parkhead, but the less said about that, the better) and it seems to me that there's clearly a psychological issue for Thistle teams when they face Celtic: their self-confidence disappears, they don't want to take personal responsibility and they start getting rid of the ball at the first opportunity and their anxiety shows itself in misplaced passes, failure to control the ball properly, poor decision making and a general ineptitude. And then Celtic score a goal, or two, and, when the pressure is off, they start to play better and we're all left with the regret 'if only they'd played like that from the beginning'. I know the club have worked with a sports psychologist in the past; I think there's an issue there for him to work on...

I dont get peoples points about not wanting to go because of the thousands of Celtic fans unless you have just started to support the Jags through the 90,s and beyond then thousands of the Old firm turning up at Firhill and taking over the stadium was the norm. In fact you were lucky if you got a pocket of supporters under the shed at times. The way its done now is a lot better than it use to be especially if you had the audacity to beat them all those years ago...no chance of leaving the ground without some ugly sister either spitting on you or wanting to punch your head off.

The way its doen now is miles better and benefits the club greatly both ways

I agree with this and other posts. I was in the main stand when Celtic won the league and again on Saturday. This week was a lot better that previously as very few Celtic fans in the main stand. I would be comfortable taking my children to old firm games if the arrangement regained the same. I would also endorse keeping away fans in The stadium a little longer to ensure fans are not mixing directly after the game. I did see a skirmish after the game, but this is not unusual.

It would be great if we could get to the stage of Thistle fans happy to come to games against the old firm. Safety is always a big worry, but happy with the main and north stands. I just feel it very sad that we can't sell out allocation. And sadder still that there are empty seats when the away fans may have taken more tickets.

David Rowson would have pointed at the big gap and told someone else to cover. He'd probably have followed the ball into the net to show the fans how hard he was working to defend the counter attack.

You, sir, are talking pish.

David Rowson is a saint.

• Like 2