Highlights From Last Night!

Lindau

The BBC highlights are an absolute disgrace. How is it possible in this day and age for a commentator not to be able to distinguish between three players because they're all black? If this had happened with highlights of a Celtic or Rangers game, all hell would have broken loose. As it is, it's just Thistle so nobody cares.

And away from that, the commentary follows what seems to be the agreed script for Tuesday's game, Thistle won only because United failed to take their chances. Our keeper made some fantastic saves in the first half - that's the Thistle keeper, the one we recruited and pay a wage to for his ability to make saves - and United put us under a fair bit of pressure with long balls over our defence, taking advantage of the fact we had to re-arrange the team after losing a midfielder to an early injury, but at no time did they 'dominate' that first half and Thistle always looked like they had more quality than they did. And by the end of the game Thistle had won despite having to compete with a team who's players are fighting for their careers and are, apparently, on a reviving run of form. Credit to Thistle, yes? Apparently not. We only won because United had (another) off day.

The quality of reporting in the Scottish media is appalling. It's not a case of reporting what happens, it's all about deciding what the story is going to be and then telling that story even if the facts inconveniently don't quite fit. (And if some of the players are black, doesn't really matter what their names are. They're only Thistle players, right?)

• Like 2

"Embarrassing, unprofessional, incompetent and some may say racist commentary. In a very short report David Amoo is twice referred to as Abdul Osman and Mustapha Dumbuya is referred to as David Amoo. All of these players are black. There is no way I'm saying the commentator is a racist but it's sloppy reporting and doesn't look good- to say the least. I've watched hundreds of football reports and have never heard the players names got wrong so badly-certainly not where the errors all concern black players. It's not as if this was a live commentary but was added later and should be error free. If this had happened in a high profile game the BBC would really have egg on their face."

I sent this complaint to the BBC.

• Like 2

"Embarrassing, unprofessional, incompetent and some may say racist commentary. In a very short report David Amoo is twice referred to as Abdul Osman and Mustapha Dumbuya is referred to as David Amoo. All of these players are black. There is no way I'm saying the commentator is a racist but it's sloppy reporting and doesn't look good- to say the least. I've watched hundreds of football reports and have never heard the players names got wrong so badly-certainly not where the errors all concern black players. It's not as if this was a live commentary but was added later and should be error free. If this had happened in a high profile game the BBC would really have egg on their face."

Best of luck. I've had cause to complain to the BBC on a number of occasions over the years. You'll get an acknowledgement, then a long wait until you receive an anodyne apology which will be completely underwhelming in both sincerity and intent....

This may be an opportunity to make out presence felt. If as many of us as possible complain, someone may listen

The BBC highlights are an absolute disgrace. How is it possible in this day and age for a commentator not to be able to distinguish between three players because they're all black? If this had happened with highlights of a Celtic or Rangers game, all hell would have broken loose. As it is, it's just Thistle so nobody cares.

And away from that, the commentary follows what seems to be the agreed script for Tuesday's game, Thistle won only because United failed to take their chances. Our keeper made some fantastic saves in the first half - that's the Thistle keeper, the one we recruited and pay a wage to for his ability to make saves - and United put us under a fair bit of pressure with long balls over our defence, taking advantage of the fact we had to re-arrange the team after losing a midfielder to an early injury, but at no time did they 'dominate' that first half and Thistle always looked like they had more quality than they did. And by the end of the game Thistle had won despite having to compete with a team who's players are fighting for their careers and are, apparently, on a reviving run of form. Credit to Thistle, yes? Apparently not. We only won because United had (another) off day.

The quality of reporting in the Scottish media is appalling. It's not a case of reporting what happens, it's all about deciding what the story is going to be and then telling that story even if the facts inconveniently don't quite fit. (And if some of the players are black, doesn't really matter what their names are. They're only Thistle players, right?)

I think the 7 points we have collected in the last 3 games against the bottom 3 is not receiving the recognition this deserves. Pushing for a top 6 place is great, but the effort from those trying to stay in this league will be greater than the mid table fight. We may still suffer an inferiority complex against the top three, but we are getting our act together and 7 points is proof of that.

Fairy nuff, lodge a complaint with the numpties. But if you really wanna make a stink about this stink, you probably need to spread the word.

Forward your e-mail to all the papers, STV, Sky, independent radio stations (local and national). Someone might pick it up, there is motivation for a competitor to point out the oppositions mistakes, right? If you got the time post the clip again on YouTube pointing out the errors.

:unknw: ... Usual form from the BBC seems to be, "Thanks, Now sshhhh!". And why shouldn't it be? I imagine, this kind of error could be quite embarrassing for well paid reporters.

I watched with the sound down, so... no comment on the details.