Stenny On Chews Day

second half performance would have embarrassed even Bruce Grobbelaar. Dools went from Scottish Internationalist in the first half to the invisible man in the second, as did most of the team, must have been a few betfred brown envelopes floating around the dressing room. Big Liam....by the time he makes a decision a sloth would steel the ball from him. Ho hum performance considering results involving Dundee, St. Johnstone etc

You don't seem to glean much enjoyment out of following Thistle. I don't know why you bother.

• Like 5

Conspiracy theory corner:- Funny that the basis for second round seeding only became public knowledge once the zombie h*ns were clearly meeting the criteria to be seeded (or did I miss this being announced earlier and am just having a paranoid outburst).

Think I recall reading this here http://spfl.co.uk/league-cup/format/ which seems correct, except I can't remember when I read it.

• Like 1

Enjoyed the game last night, especially first half. Thought we were unplayable. Amoo and Pogba were bossing the whole game. Pogs looks like he's really been working hard pre-season and looked really sharp - scored a tremendous header.

Thought the penalty was soft to be honest, especially as Amoo had his studs showing - actually thought the ref had given Stenny a free kick. But it was expertly dispatched by Welsh, who also had a really good game. Him and Edwards in midfield were outstanding.

As has been said, 5-0 at half time would not have flattered us, we were that dominant.

2nd half we did take our foot off the gas a bit and the goal was regrettable. But our response was superb - up the park and score 2 quick goals. Great for Azeez to get off the mark.

Overall a good nights work, especially when you look at some of the other top league sides who staring down a barrel in the competition now. We may not have played top quality sides but we've beaten everyone that's in front of us.

We can now go in to Saturday's game with the pressure off and hopefully entertain the fans with a few goals. I'm looking forward to it.

We played differently in second half and I wondered whether Archie had said to them - sometimes we will be winning games against better teams and we need to be able to keep possession and see the games out - go and practice!!

Totally agree with Ian in terms of summary of game. For me it was toss of a coin for man of match between amoo and welsh. And pogba first half (aided by the movement of Doolan) was a joy to witness.

You don't seem to glean much enjoyment out of following Thistle. I don't know why you bother.

Are you suggesting he/she takes a sabbat(h)ical?

Agree with jaf re Doolan's movement, which was superb no matter what position he took up. No doubt the moaning brigade will be unhappy with him for not scoring or is that just when it's another forward? One of the real benefits of a terracing is you can wander away from the serial grumps with ease. Didn't have to shift along last night as it was only Welsh (maybe my MotM as well) that was getting much stick and I'm case-hardened to that by now.

On the whole, it was a relatively professional job for the most part. We made unnecessary heavy weather of it in the second half by trying to sleepwalk our way to victory but I was impressed with the ease that we stepped it back up to put the game to bed.

I wouldn't dispute giving Man of the Match to either Welsh or Amoo. I thought Welsh controlled the game in the first half, spread play very well and dispatched the penalty expertly. Faded like the rest of the team for a spell in the second half but came back to the fore as it wore on. Amoo demonstrated some great wing play and had the Stenny full-back on the back foot all night. Some great cut backs in the first half that were begging to be put away.

I thought Edwards had a strong first half but in the second showcased why he shouldn't be deployed in one of the two sitting midfield roles. His positional discipline isn't good enough to play in there; by charging about to close down the ball, he endangers the team's shape and it was no coincidence in my opinion that Stenny gained a foothold (however slight) in the game when our efficiency in possession decreased resulting in more Edwards' closing.

Booth looked more like himself although got caught up the pitch a couple of times in the second half. Ziggy is a very solid player, excellent positionally and a lot better going forward than I initially thought he was. Lindsay does a lot of things very well but can be lethargic in possession at times and got caught once or twice. If he irons those out of his game, we'll make serious dosh on him. He's a behemoth. Syme did reasonably well but wasn't properly tested. Quite like the look of him though and not sure why Killie were so keen to punt him.

Dools was totally wasted out on the left in the second half but I thought he looked quite handy in the more withdrawn forward role in the first half which might be an option for games where we choose to go with Pogba.

Azeez will certainly get himself into dangerous positions but his finishing looks wasteful; similar to Liam Buchanan who would need about 6 or 7 chances to stick one away. A great option from the bench though as his pace and strength will be difficult to play against. Let's just hope nobody plays a high line though or else he'll permanently be offside. Very frustrating last night as his sheer pace means he doesn't need to go early.

I think our attacking play makes us well suited to cup competition this season; if we go balls-out, gung-ho against teams, I don't think there's many that can live with that.

• Like 2