Home And Away

jagfox

Just a wee thought today that our wins at Dundee, Perth and Dingwall were only witnessed by less than a thousand Jags fans. Under 300 at Dundee and 161 last night.

Along with Hearts and Celtic away, probably our three best performances of the season.

Does this anomaly cloud the vision of some fans to how some players and the team are doing overall this season?

• Like 1

Think you've got a point there, jagfox. Another way of looking at it is all of those late goals (off top of heid) we've conceded have been at Firhill. If you only go to home games you won't have seen us win since early August. I imagine if you were to reference words such as naivety and stupidity they'd lead you nearly always to a post match thread from a home game. It's understandable then that some will be more despondent as they rarely see a true professional performance.

Also if you've only highlights to go on the emphasis will naturally be on goals and goalmouth incidents. You're highly unlikely to get any idea of how the midfield and individual midfielders have performed. For instance I've seen guys, who were at the time unpopular, like Stevenson and Welsh have excellent games (at Inverness and Pittodrie).

Wasn't there last night (first game I've missed in 70) but we've done well in recent seasons with these longer distance games getting many a good result in Tayside and points North. Pity many Jags fans who can't get to away games, particular these longer outings, have missed out.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

What can we do to make home games seem more like our successful away games? Or put it another way, what things are Thistle players doing away from home which they could helpfully introduce into their approach to home games?

One simple start would be to shoot towards the Thistle fans (ie the North Stand) in the second half. The wins against Falkirk, Dunfermline and Morton in our Championship winning season, all based on strong first half showings, are happy history now. Top league games rarely open up much until the game becomes stretched in the second half. Aiming towards, and being encouraged by, your own fans at that point seems to be right on so many levels.

• Like 1

4 wins out of 19 is that right?

I assume that you disagree.

If that is the case, I think you have missed part of jagfox' s point. There have been 5 out of 9 or 10 away games where the performances have been professional and I don't think we have lost any late goals(might be wrong). However, at home we have only managed to hold a lead in one game

What can we do to make home games seem more like our successful away games? Or put it another way, what things are Thistle players doing away from home which they could helpfully introduce into their approach to home games?

One simple start would be to shoot towards the Thistle fans (ie the North Stand) in the second half. The wins against Falkirk, Dunfermline and Morton in our Championship winning season, all based on strong first half showings, are happy history now. Top league games rarely open up much until the game becomes stretched in the second half. Aiming towards, and being encouraged by, your own fans at that point seems to be right on so many levels.

I have been thinking about this as well. I wonder if the fact that we have one open end affects our players more than opposition. We maybe don't feel it is a real game ?

Never assume lenzie. I fully understand the point being made. I agree with it to an extent. There is much hard work left to be done. Last night gave us a lot of encouragement. We need to keep that standard up.

On the home form, my sevco pals who were at the game today were telling me how mince they were but comfortably saw the game out, although caley missed a few sitters in the first half. Teams go to ibrox and parkheed with no real belief. We somehow need to instill that at firhill. A belief that we will never lose.

I have always thought that we are better away because teams(generally) play pretty tight against us at Firhill. We are certainly better with teams coming on to us and this is what tends to happen away from home. Even if they don't quite attack us on their own grounds the pressure is on them to do so and there is certainly more room for us in that case.

It will be very interesting to see how Dundee and Killie approach their visits to Firhill. If they put up a wall we might find the same problems we have had all year - not very good at breaking down a massed defence. We did well at Celtic because we were in their faces as they attacked us and we looked okay against Rangers as well because they didn't sit back at Firhill.

In "a fair fight" we are doing well but teams tend not to want to play it that way against us.

So the next couple are going to be very interesting.

Maybe the fans who go to the away games are more supportive and less negative than the bulk of the home support and that feeds through to the players. Or maybe it is just random.

This season has so far been really like our first season up. I think we are playing better football than the last couple of seasons but conceding crap goals due to individual errors and missing good chances, especially at home. There have been some poor performances but they have been the exception.

This is a good Thistle team by the standards I have experienced over more than 40 years. I understand the frustration but the negativity and slagging that gets doled out by some fans at games and on here is ridiculous.

I know it is a two way street, but it would be good to have a positive atmosphere at Firhill for the next two games. We could be up to 6th or back to 12th....Here's hoping.

Away support isn't any more positive in my observations this season. We've just had more to celebrate. Team was getting booed at halftime and Welsh was getting the usual pelters up until he scored at Hamilton.

Agree with you in general David.

BIG Chance to steer the season on to a more positive direction with the two games coming up followed by the cup game after the break.

Edited by jagfox
  • Like 1