Wilson Away On Loan

Lenziejag

I see David Wilson has joined Stranraer on loan till the end of the season. I was never too sure of him as I didn't think he was strong enough up until this season, but I thought he had improved a bit in the few games he played early on. He was always going to struggle to get game time even as a sub, given the midfield players that we have available.

I doubt we will see him back.

I see David Wilson has joined Stranraer on loan till the end of the season. I was never too sure of him as I didn't think he was strong enough up until this season, but I thought he had improved a bit in the few games he played early on. He was always going to struggle to get game time even as a sub, given the midfield players that we have available.

I doubt we will see him back.

A lot will depend on how he gets on at Stranraer. As Lenziejag says we're not short of midfielders and besides Wilson is very similar to Welsh in style of play. He's got a good energy level and is fairly well disciplined so perhaps if he could broaden his game to break up play like Osman he'd have a future with us. Abdul isn't getting any younger and for all the midfielders on our books I don't think we've another hard tackling type.

Hopefully Welsh is now showing what he can do week in week out. Archie has stuck with him when I would certainly have replaced him with Wilson to see what he could do. He played so well in the League Cup games only to be dumped.

Shows why Archie is the manager and I am not. I will be delighted if Welsh keeps up the good form that we saw in the 1st division.

The jury is out on whether Wilson becomes a PL player but he needs to set the world alight at Stranraer. I would have preferred him to have moved to a Championship team because I think he would star at that level.

I think Wilson could deffo cut it in the championship, so disappointing to see him go to a level below. As has been said, with the amount of midfielders we have, I think we might have seen the last of him. Really thought he had to kick on this season to get another contract and that hasn't happened.

League 1 level should enable Wilson to be a regular starter and get a volume of first team games under his belt. I suspect that while Championship may be his level in due course, he would (perhaps like Kevin Nisbet) find it difficult to force his way into the starting eleven of a Championship team, and end up playing cameo roles from the bench. That may be OK for a striker as there tend to be more substitutions and rotations in the forward roles, but a midfielder like Wilson has to prove that he can go box to box for the whole 90 minutes and maintain his quality and energy levels.

Edited by partickthedog

I would think that if he can't get a regular game in the championship, he isn't going to make it in the premiership

I think you are probably right. David Wilson strikes me as being similar to (but perhaps somewhat less outgoing than) James Craigen, energetic, hard-working and reliable, but possibly just lacking that extra element of quality that makes for a premier league standard player.

Go on David, prove us both wrong!

• Like 1