Meet The Manager

1 John Lambie

Some senior players "below minimum wage", and but for the security Ian Cameron has in his job as a Chartered Accountant, he would see him as a future Thistle manager.

I took down a lot of what was said at the MTM and at the request of THW there will be something vaguely giving semblance of sense up some point late tomorrow.

Edit: Oh and he doesn't believe we'll go part-time and thinks the Challenge Cup Draw is "shit".

Edited by Woodstock Jag

Some senior players "below minimum wage", and but for the security Ian Cameron has in his job as a Chartered Accountant, he would see him as a future Thistle manager.

I took down a lot of what was said at the MTM and at the request of THW there will be something vaguely giving semblance of sense up some point late tomorrow.

Edit: Oh and he doesn't believe we'll go part-time and thinks the Challenge Cup Draw is "shit".

Basically, quit beatin aboot the bush. We're stoney broke. Part-time fitba at Firhill is inevitable ... 2nd div or not next season. :drink2:

What does that mean exactly?

On the AGM - Perhaps most significant was Keiron's dissection of the role of the Board Rep as he steps down from that position - a particularly pertinent presentation at the juncture we find ourselves at just now. I think a lot of people would be interested in his approach to the role, which he described as basically an experiment to see whether or not there was any value in us having a rep at all. Without digressing into his exhaustive pros and cons list, it's worthwhile noting that he felt that overall, it is considerably more valuable to be on the inside than on the outside, even though that somewhat ties the Trust's hands in some respects. What comes from all this for me, is that the meeting with the Club regarding the Rep position is critical in determining not just the future relationship of the Trust and Club, but the attitude of the Club to the fan base as a whole. Personally, I don't think the Club can survive us withdrawing our financial support, but I do think there should be a clear message sent if they continue to operate without a representative of the fans onboard.

On the MTM - McCall was his usual bluff self, and the night was considerably more upbeat than you might have expected despite the recent results. Most of main points have already been covered, but one notable was when discussing the those results, he said the lowest point was losing away to Morton where the team really was gash, whereas in other games we had at least shown some promise but luck wasn't on our side. He felt that the Club should have been painting a more realistic picture of our chances in the league this year during the summer break and that he believes even finishing 7th will be an over achievement. This positives though is the youth structure, and whilst he could have blown some cash on a bigger wage for a single, proven player, he thought it better to consolidate with the finances as they are and invest in the youth. He stakes his reputation on Bannigan being a great player and believes he has already won his place in the first team. There are several other youths not far behind, but they have to take their shot when they're offered the chance.

Ian McCall also said that he was annoyed by some of the messages coming out Firhill at the start of the season. Quite who they were by, or if how they were interpreted was the problem wasn't identified or picked up but it was in reference to him saying consistently from the summer that this was going to be the hardest season since he took over at Firhill.

The gaffer spoke very highly of Jackie McNamara. While he would love him to stay at Partick Thistle for a long time he expects Jackie to go and manage his own club sooner rather than later. And fully expects him to take Simon Donnelly with him.

He repeatedly stated that the financial plight of the club was not the present BOD's fault. He thinks Partick Thistle should and will stay a full-time football club, but was unclear (perhaps someone else can fill in) if he was surprised or not at the chairman’s comments in the press last week about the reality of part-time coming.

On a side note: while I enjoy these events it might be better if folk were allowed one or maybe two questions each. Some folk rabble away like they are in the pub and try and talk over the question they have asked.

Working as a chartered accountant brings in a more stable source of income than chancing full time coaching/management.

Yeah I got that, the last time McCall said it.

What's the point in him bringing this up? Cameron ain't going to quit his job when McCall is gone, or will he? Is that what he is eluding to?

Yeah I got that, the last time McCall said it.

What's the point in him bringing this up? Cameron ain't going to quit his job when McCall is gone, or will he? Is that what he is eluding to?

To be fair to McCall he didn't bring it up - he was asked why he spoke to Cameron more on matchdays than he did Maxwell.

As you say, we know he thinks very highly of Cameron and would probably have had him onboard full time by now if that had been possible.

He did also acknowledge that the loss of some members of his team have been significant in impact - specifically Gardner Spiers, John Henry and Gerry Britton - although he was realistic about the situation each found themselves in.

Edited by Allan Heron

Got the impression McCall may have been a bit less diplomatic re some of his replies had a a director not been present. Certainly his views on the likelihood (some may say, inevitability) of part time football next season were at variance with Cowan's comments last week. The question I should have asked but didn't occur to me at the time would have been along the lines of lengthening some players contracts. In my mind until we hear of this the part time issue will hing around. Some may say there's no way we should be offering new contracts to any of the players but imo we've a few we should want to keep.

The biggest shock of the night tho' was when we were told Paton scored a goal with his left foot in training this week! Now if I'm prepared to believe that..... :o

btw would I be right in thinking this forum has been infiltrated by yon eejit from P & B?

Got the impression McCall may have been a bit less diplomatic re some of his replies had a a director not been present. Certainly his views on the likelihood (some may say, inevitability) of part time football next season were at variance with Cowan's comments last week. The question I should have asked but didn't occur to me at the time would have been along the lines of lengthening some players contracts. In my mind until we hear of this the part time issue will hing around. Some may say there's no way we should be offering new contracts to any of the players but imo we've a few we should want to keep.

The biggest shock of the night tho' was when we were told Paton scored a goal with his left foot in training this week! Now if I'm prepared to believe that..... :o

btw would I be right in thinking this forum has been infiltrated by yon eejit from P & B?

I wanted to ask him what happens at the end of the season, will all our players be released and signed back in July if any are still available? Cairney will still be under contract but there are some who I would not like to lose, Liam, Doolan, Rowson, Robertson and Flannigan to name a few. But last night was not really about getting involved for me, it was more a watching and learning exercise!

Got the impression McCall may have been a bit less diplomatic re some of his replies had a a director not been present.

I thought that too. I think his presence was certainly questionable - is he a member of The Trust? And if so, surely the wearing of two hats here is a bit inappropriate? Surely a Board member can get as much Managerial insight as they want, so why was he at a Meet The Manager night? Was he there for the whole AGM? There's a massive amount of hypocrisy here - The Directors aren't allowing a Fan onto the Board, yet a Director wangles his way into a Trust event?

I thought that too. I think his presence was certainly questionable - is he a member of The Trust? And if so, surely the wearing of two hats here is a bit inappropriate? Surely a Board member can get as much Managerial insight as they want, so why was he at a Meet The Manager night? Was he there for the whole AGM? There's a massive amount of hypocrisy here - The Directors aren't allowing a Fan onto the Board, yet a Director wangles his way into a Trust event?

Ronnie Gilfillan is a fully paid up member of the Supporters' Association and has been for a number of years. Yes, he was there for the whole AGM, and if memory serves, he also attended last year's AGM. As a Trust member, he is perfectly entitled to do so, and for my part, I wouldn't seek to dissuade any Trust member from coming to any Trust event.

Sure, you can draw parallels with what's going on at Club board level, but I'd prefer to wait until the meeting next Friday before commenting on that.

Ronnie Gilfillan is a fully paid up member of the Supporters' Association and has been for a number of years. Yes, he was there for the whole AGM, and if memory serves, he also attended last year's AGM. As a Trust member, he is perfectly entitled to do so, and for my part, I wouldn't seek to dissuade any Trust member from coming to any Trust event.

Sure, you can draw parallels with what's going on at Club board level, but I'd prefer to wait until the meeting next Friday before commenting on that.

In some respects I agree, and given that an AGM is really just an exercise in legalities, there's probably no harm. However, in an admittedly rough comparison, I would take issue with any employer of mine coming to a meeting of my local union, in that an open and frank discussion might well be compromised. I don't think Ronnie was there in an intimidatory way, but as pointed out by another poster, it might perhaps skew the the Manager's answers. Whilst I agree that the Trust is for all fans, the Directors don't need representation by the Trust as they can already represent their own ideas personally at the Club's highest echelons. The Trust is there to provide a voice for those who don't have one. Naturally, I think the Trust and Directors should have a good and amiable relationship, but not if the voice of the ordinary fans get in any way crowded out. Personally I would have no problem at all booting Directors out of the AGM whilst the Trust is not welcome in the Boardroom - but then, I'm not exactly famed for my diplomacy. They can't have it both ways.

Actually on Saturday there, I'm sure I saw Paton play a pretty good crossfield pass with his left foot (no I wasn't drinking before the game). Probably there's something psychological ... if he doesn't think about it he can do it but the minute he thinks about it his left foot goes numb.

Re my comment about Ronnie G being present. I knew he was a Jags Trust member and thus agree he's fully entitled to attend. I'd go further and say his input last night was most welcome. All the same I do stand by my comment that his presence may have resulted in more guarded answers from McCall. My gut feeling is the manager may have wanted to, or might have passed on, more detailed info. Given that the odd aside and throw away comments on such nights tend to grow legs and be taken out of context, that's maybees no bad thing.

Actually on Saturday there, I'm sure I saw Paton play a pretty good crossfield pass with his left foot (no I wasn't drinking before the game). Probably there's something psychological ... if he doesn't think about it he can do it but the minute he thinks about it his left foot goes numb.

I'm not the best equipped to pass on advice but, Mr Bunny, if at all possible you really should take a drink before a Jags game. :thumbsup2: