Reserves Today

Semi Nurainen

1-0 up when I left at the 75 -ish minute mark, to go back to work.

Not sure about some of the names but our No.6 was a stand out I thought. Some good performances all round to be honest.

Motherwell had 80% of the pressure in the first half, pegged us in, and we defended fairly deep. They probably ought to have had it wrapped up at half time.

Game of two halves - we came out in the second and it  looked like a different team, and at least until I left, we looked like walking it.

Coulybally, fell over a couple of times, got caught offside a couple of timed, then set up a peach of a first goal. Jury still out on him for me.

Couple of things I didn't understand: why did the teams change ends before the kick-off - it was pretty much a cross wind, so no advantage; we were shown as the home team and had to change strips;  why do we persist with that horrible navy blue change strip anyway.

I was a big a critic of Caldo as anyone, but on today's performance (regardless of the final result) his positive influence seems to be being felt at all levels of the club.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

1-0 up when I left at the 75 -ish minute mark, to go back to work.

Not sure about some of the names but our No.6 was a stand out I thought. Some good performances all round to be honest.

Motherwell had 80% of the pressure in the first half, pegged us in, and we defended fairly deep. They probably ought to have had it wrapped up at half time.

Game of two halves - we came out in the second and it  looked like a different team, and at least until I left, we looked like walking it.

Coulybally, fell over a couple of times, got caught offside a couple of timed, then set up a peach of a first goal. Jury still out on him for me.

Couple of things I didn't understand: why did the teams change ends before the kick-off - it was pretty much a cross wind, so no advantage; we were shown as the home team and had to change strips;  why do we persist with that horrible navy blue change strip anyway.

I was a big a critic of Caldo as anyone, but on today's performance (regardless of the final result) his positive influence seems to be being felt at all levels of the club.

Our No 6 was Sena. He's only recently started playing in midfield after playing centreback and occasionally left back. Looks to me he's toughened up considerably. Playing on loan in the Juniors will be helping re physical stuff.

Thought once again Roy's work rate was excellent. He played out of position in left midfield for much of the match. I doubt Coulibaly would've got anywhere near 90 mins today without Roy & Mansell doing much of the running for him.  

First half we showed nothing much up front (fair gap between midfield and front two (three when Roy got forward). We did tho' defend well enough. Our goal came from a quick break and was a fine move. The Fish took his goal well for them and a draw was a fair result.

Very encouraging overall.

I thought Sena looked good in the first half when we were being pushed back a bit. Even then we didn't look desperate and soaked up the pressure well.

In the second I thought Sena played 20 yards further up front and was even better. Roy and Mansell, as you say, very hard working.

Who's he on loan to?

13 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Very encouraging overall.

I thought Sena looked good in the first half when we were being pushed back a bit. Even then we didn't look desperate and soaked up the pressure well.

In the second I thought Sena played 20 yards further up front and was even better. Roy and Mansell, as you say, very hard working.

Who's he on loan to?

Cumnock.

That first half was one way traffic for Motherwell, they looked to be bossing the game and had at least four decent shots on target as compared to us with zero. The second half was better for Thistle, and the goal was well taken by Roy, it was a breakaway against a Motherwell that were slow to react to the Thistle forward moves rather than a gradual build up of passing play, in saying that it was good combination work between Coulibaly and Roy. On this showing, I think Ally Roy might be worth keeping for the future, the boy has a good engine and will IMO be an asset. Unfortunately, Coulibaly did not play well, excepting the layoff for the goal, the majority of the time he seemed to be at least half a yard off the pace, also he was yellow carded for throwing the toys out the pram!!, no idea what his issue was.

Motherwell's equalised came from Sammon at about the 85 minute mark, typical well taken strikers goal.

The quality of play was exceptional, considering the weather. The rain was driving down for the majority of the 90 minutes, with a cold wind sweeping across the park, so all the players on the park did well to show the amount of skill they did.

Interesting to see Kris Doolan in the dug-out, I didn't know he was taking the reserves? 

Just now, ARu-Strathbungo said:

That first half was one way traffic for Motherwell, they looked to be bossing the game and had at least four decent shots on target as compared to us with zero. The second half was better for Thistle, and the goal was well taken by Roy, it was a breakaway against a Motherwell that were slow to react to the Thistle forward moves rather than a gradual build up of passing play, in saying that it was good combination work between Coulibaly and Roy. On this showing, I think Ally Roy might be worth keeping for the future, the boy has a good engine and will IMO be an asset. Unfortunately, Coulibaly did not play well, excepting the layoff for the goal, the majority of the time he seemed to be at least half a yard off the pace, also he was yellow carded for throwing the toys out the pram!!, no idea what his issue was.

Motherwell's equalised came from Sammon at about the 85 minute mark, typical well taken strikers goal.

The quality of play was exceptional, considering the weather. The rain was driving down for the majority of the 90 minutes, with a cold wind sweeping across the park, so all the players on the park did well to show the amount of skill they did.

Interesting to see Kris Doolan in the dug-out, I didn't know he was taking the reserves? 

I am sure I read on the official site in the last week or so that Dools is now part of the coaching team for reserves.

Good to know Dools is on the coaching staff, certainly one for the future in terms of management I think.

Agreed, second half was much better, and when we did manage to play our passing game, the Motherwell team looked almost dim witted.

The Motherwell team played well when their number 11 [Danny Johnston?] played well, when he faded, so to did the team.