Beyond The Spl - Bbc Sportsound

Col

Can the interview still be listened to after the event - or was it only if you tuned in live??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vc5fj/Sportsound_Beyond_the_SPL_21_10_2010/

Edited to add, nothing interesting. Cowan bleating about finances, credit crunch happening after deal agreed to sell land etc etc.

Story of Thistle under McMaster, Cowan and Hughes. No foresight!

Edited by Trotter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vc5fj/Sportsound_Beyond_the_SPL_21_10_2010/

Edited to add, nothing interesting. Cowan bleating about finances, (Spin No 453)credit crunch happening after deal agreed to sell land etc etc.Story of Thistle under McMaster, Cowan and Hughes. No foresight!

Fact No 1. The credit crunch hit the housing market about 15 months before the Propco (asset stripping) deal was put in place

Fact No 1. The credit crunch hit the housing market about 15 months before the Propco (asset stripping) deal was put in place

Indeed, and which was precisely the issue that meant the full original plan was never likely to be a runner, and continues to put significant constraints on the success of the present venture.

Planning consent for the South end should presumably be due in the immediate future?

You have to remember where these guys were at. They had a new blueprint for the future every 18 months and they were all duds. They'd seen their Twechar plans blow up in their faces and all we got was the bing and even more debt. Then there was the weird Keyhaven plan that they disassociated themselves from when it became public. Then I think there was another masterplan in there somewhere under the PTF Developments company they set up. (It's funny to go back and see who were the shareholders in that venture before they all fell out). Then they try Propco and it becomes clear to them that it's going to flop as well. And all the time they're running at a loss, their fundraising schemes are actually costing them money, they don't know that some mug like Melville is going to come in and pay big money for Harkins to clear that mounting tax bill (no other club was spending that summer). Even with the world economic crisis, they had created a local one in Maryhill that was going to drag us under. Probably only the rugby money and a couple of lucky draws in the cup kept us staggering on as far as we did. So you get a cut down Propco for one reason and one reason only: sheer desperation. And then he brags about how financially healthy we were when he stepped down.

Cowan does a nice line in revisionist history. When he tries to make the departure of him and Hughes sound like something carefully planned since January, you can only laugh. Six or seven games into a new season is such a perfect time to hand over the chairmanship to...nobody. It was as smoothly and convincingly handled as everything else he did.

You have to remember where these guys were at. They had a new blueprint for the future every 18 months and they were all duds. They'd seen their Twechar plans blow up in their faces and all we got was the bing and even more debt. Then there was the weird Keyhaven plan that they disassociated themselves from when it became public. Then I think there was another masterplan in there somewhere under the PTF Developments company they set up. (It's funny to go back and see who were the shareholders in that venture before they all fell out). Then they try Propco and it becomes clear to them that it's going to flop as well. And all the time they're running at a loss, their fundraising schemes are actually costing them money, they don't know that some mug like Melville is going to come in and pay big money for Harkins to clear that mounting tax bill (no other club was spending that summer). Even with the world economic crisis, they had created a local one in Maryhill that was going to drag us under. Probably only the rugby money and a couple of lucky draws in the cup kept us staggering on as far as we did. So you get a cut down Propco for one reason and one reason only: sheer desperation. And then he brags about how financially healthy we were when he stepped down.

Cowan does a nice line in revisionist history. When he tries to make the departure of him and Hughes sound like something carefully planned since January, you can only laugh. Six or seven games into a new season is such a perfect time to hand over the chairmanship to...nobody. It was as smoothly and convincingly handled as everything else he did.

Very good post. Sometimes its easy to forget all the different failed ventures. I do remember Keyhaven and the '7 figure investment from america' we were sure to be getting well.

Amen brother

Did I read in a post last week that you were aka Fellow Traveller in the previous forum. I agreed with you plenty of times in that forum, and also wholeheartedly agree with you in this instance.

When Cowan first appeared on the horizon, we had a 4-sided, well-appointed stadium which was owned by the club. I realise that this was also at the time of difficulties of "Save the Jags" but we came through it, now Cowan's legacy is a bing, ownership of half of a two-sided stadium and Propco! Not much collateral there for the future. I have been following the Jags for more than 50 years, however, when the Main Stand and frontage disappear I reckon that is when I will call it a day. more power to your elbow Double Ugly!

Cheers, General. Still ranting and raving a bit in other places, but don't really have the time or the heart for this any more. Trying very hard to wean myself off it, but not having much success.

It'll be a tragedy when we lose the main stand - most of my happy memories of Firhill are from over that side of the ground - but on disappointing days like today it's hard to see how we can turn things around.

Cheers, General. Still ranting and raving a bit in other places, but don't really have the time or the heart for this any more. Trying very hard to wean myself off it, but not having much success.

It'll be a tragedy when we lose the main stand - most of my happy memories of Firhill are from over that side of the ground - but on disappointing days like today it's hard to see how we can turn things around.

Keep up the good work DU.