Credit For Those Who Are Due It

PaleGreySky

People on here tend to be quite close minded about individual players' performances when the result doesn't go our way. So...

Chris Erskine - did very well today. Beat multiple players on quite a few occasions, looks keen to get a shot away whenever he can and, generally, has a very good, attacking attitude, similar to Doolan's. This is what will get us results here and there during a relegation dogfight. Get off his back. He's been one of our better players in the last wee while and he's only been playing off the bench.

Paul Paton - he tried his heart out today. He did exactly what people have been wanting him to do - attack into the space in front of him, and get in decent crosses. He did more running than anyone today and deserves credit for being one of the players who is really trying for this club right now.

Kris Doolan - he might be anonymous is almost every game he plays, but he still pops up out of nowhere and scores, doesn't he? He got two today in the same style he has always got goals - poaching a goal during an otherwise quiet performance. He obviously doesn't need to be a prominent player in a match to score a goal.

I think these are 3 players who have been named in people's rants recently, but have actually been pretty good. Paton today, especially. It does no good to criticise players who have actually played well.

People on here tend to be quite close minded about individual players' performances when the result doesn't go our way. So...

Chris Erskine - did very well today. Beat multiple players on quite a few occasions, looks keen to get a shot away whenever he can and, generally, has a very good, attacking attitude, similar to Doolan's. This is what will get us results here and there during a relegation dogfight. Get off his back. He's been one of our better players in the last wee while and he's only been playing off the bench.

Paul Paton - he tried his heart out today. He did exactly what people have been wanting him to do - attack into the space in front of him, and get in decent crosses. He did more running than anyone today and deserves credit for being one of the players who is really trying for this club right now.

Kris Doolan - he might be anonymous is almost every game he plays, but he still pops up out of nowhere and scores, doesn't he? He got two today in the same style he has always got goals - poaching a goal during an otherwise quiet performance. He obviously doesn't need to be a prominent player in a match to score a goal.

I think these are 3 players who have been named in people's rants recently, but have actually been pretty good. Paton today, especially. It does no good to criticise players who have actually played well.

Here here.

I missed the first few games of the season but since I've been there this season it's apparent how much Paton has improved. He is incredibly fit and doesn't stop going up and down the right hand side, sometimes with little or no support. He put in some good balls today only for there to be no one on the end of them too. He got done for the 1st goal but even then it's worrying how the striker got a free header when we had 3 central defenders on the park.

Boyle has improved massively on the other side too.

Completely agree. Looks like the loan out of Doolan has done him good. Not only impressed with his goals today but also his running back to try and win back the ball. Just as well he was doing that, as the midfield weren't interested.

Paton put in some good balls today but too many times no-one was willing to get on end of them.

And Erskine is an enigma isn't he? Some weeks absolute gash but other weeks teetering on the edge of brilliance.

And I wouldn't pick on Paddy Boyle as he has been much improved this season IMO.

Rest of team don't merit a mention.

Ill second that, Im a big critic of paton but today he was al least looking to push forward rather than just lumping it. pity he had no support from any of our midfield.

Although, i think people do doolan a diservice. Ok hes not the most skillful or best finisher but he runs his lungs out every game and as far as im concerned thats good enough for me.Id rather have someone with bottle than a prima donna (bucky take note)

Erskine was good after he came on today and paddy is the most improved player of the decade!

I think Doolan is actually quite a good finisher.

The mention of 3 at the back made me think of something. I went with a Rangers supporting friend, who is, generally, quite knowledgeable about football. He was pointing out how ridiculous it is that we seem to accept 2 (Kinniburgh and Robertson) of our back three just volleying the ball up in the air, at a 70 degree angle, when the ball comes to them, rather than actually doing something with it.

Also, he pointed out how much of a disadvantage it is to be playing with 3 at the back at this level - it leaves two 'wing-backs' with an obligation to attack, leaving space behind them for crosses, then 3 defenders who are not clear who they are picking up. Instead, a back 4 could offer two full-backs stopping crosses coming in and two centre-halves with a clear responsibility to pick up one of the oppositions front two.

Completely agree. Looks like the loan out of Doolan has done him good. Not only impressed with his goals today but also his running back to try and win back the ball. Just as well he was doing that, as the midfield weren't interested.

Paton put in some good balls today but too many times no-one was willing to get on end of them.

And Erskine is an enigma isn't he? Some weeks absolute gash but other weeks teetering on the edge of brilliance.

And I wouldn't pick on Paddy Boyle as he has been much improved this season IMO.

Rest of team don't merit a mention.

Much as I saw it. Couldn't slate Erskine today tho' I don't really feel he was the type of player we needed.

BMMMH was clearly out to impress last week. Seemed like he didn't bother much about anything yesterday. Like several others, it has to be said.

Biggest disappointment for me this season has been Cairney. A year ago many of us were singing his praises, but he's never regained his form from back then. Yesterday was a catalogue of non-offerings, overhit 3-yard passes, and failures to trap the ball. Oh and Buchanan really needs to work on how to trap a ball too. The number of times the ball springs up from his boot, allowing a defender to boot it clear, is as frustrating as it's predictable.

Good post Jaggnernaught.

This time last year I would never have thought it but would happilt give new contracts to Boyle, Doolan and Paton. I would also try and get Hardie signed up.

These 4 have been the one positive this season.

Out of the rest theres no one really I feel we would be worried about losing which is a shame as I realy realy rated Liam for a long time.

....Although, i think people do doolan a diservice. Ok hes not the most skillful or best finisher but he runs his lungs out every game and as far as im concerned thats good enough for me.Id rather have someone with bottle than a prima donna (bucky take note).....

I think Doolan is actually quite a good finisher....

I agree with PGS: Doolan is a good finisher. Usually, he shoots carefully, choosing his spot. In that respect, he reminds me of Marko. In fact, he could do worse than watch some videos of Marko at work, to show him how to improve. Unlike Marko, though, he makes a huge physical effort, tracking back and even tackling when opposition forwards advance, and he adds to his game by a good sense of where to hang out to grab opportune goals, or at least to frighten defences.

No i agree, but who else could we pick from the squad to do better? podgey hodge? me no think so. Erskine today had one of his better games at least.

Either Jamie Campbell or Bannigan.

Also, I know two centre backs got injured but what were the chances of that? McNamara could have dropped back so there should be no need for a fourth centreback in a squad of fourteen outfield players. So Erskine could still have been included.

Setting ourselves in such a negative fashion backfired big time. It could have been corrected by having an extra midfielder on the bench in place of the fourth centreback.

Paton has been decent in the last few games, he always tries, will give him that. he has time on his side.

Boyle - player of the season so far, by a country mile.

Buchanan- in the last 4 games, when he has came on, we have looked a better team, his work rate is fantastic, just prey he gets a goal soon.

Cairney and Hodge have declined rapidly after one point in two seperate games in my opinion.

Hodge since that 2-2 game up in Dingwall, I recall him being hooked at half time or early in the 2nd I can't quite remember and from there I don't remember him ever being as good as he was up to that point. and I've felt since that game up at Inverness when the entire team was ill Cairney hasn't quite been the same since, somewhat akin to when Marko went down with that illness at Dundee and how that severely effected him. Cairney has had some good games since then I will admit but for me theres been a bit of something missing from him since that game.

Cairney and Hodge have declined rapidly after one point in two seperate games in my opinion.

Hodge since that 2-2 game up in Dingwall, I recall him being hooked at half time or early in the 2nd I can't quite remember and from there I don't remember him ever being as good as he was up to that point. and I've felt since that game up at Inverness when the entire team was ill Cairney hasn't quite been the same since, somewhat akin to when Marko went down with that illness at Dundee and how that severely effected him. Cairney has had some good games since then I will admit but for me theres been a bit of something missing from him since that game.

You're right; the similarity between Cairney and Roberts in terms of never finding their earlier form after illness is striking. And although Marco is certainly doing the business for Ayr these days, somehow I don't think his legs would be up for it in this Division. Cairney is younger, however, so we can only hope that he recovers his form. He's also starting to remind me of Dosser, who looked great at times, but could never quite keep it going because of injuries.