Fifth Hall Of Fame Inductee

GrantB

Willie Sharp

Richly deserved.

Willie Sharp was my Dad's hero. I was brought up on stories of his goalscoring and that probably is one of the many reasons I got the Thistle bug from an early age.

I trust that the club have been successful in tracing his relatives?

a true legend. Tom Hosie posted this week that they had been successful in tracing his relatives.

Worth another run of this

again which I think one of his relatives donated?

Wonderful choice for the Hall of Fame: and the video is excellent - someone took a lot of time and effort, editing those old photos into a little work of art.

Just a brief "review" of this. I don't think Mr. Cowan should be thinking of becoming a full-time compere; pretty much like listening to paint dry. Robert Reid's 10-min speeches for each inductee were of his usual top standard: informative and witty. The food was alright (actually the soup was excellent), but nothing exciting. Some big money getting spent by some folk for some (not all) of the auction items. Nice to chat with fellow Jags fans. All in all an expensive night out, but good to see and hear about some old Jags heros while contributing to the cause.

Think I got away with the edit.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Just a brief "review" of this. I don't think Mr. Cowan should be thinking of becoming a full-time compere; pretty much like listening to paint dry. Robert Reid's 10-min speeches for each inductee were of his usual top standard: informative and witty. The food was alright (actually the soup was excellent), but nothing exciting. Some big money getting spent by some folk for some (not all) of the auction items. Nice to chat with fellow Jags fans. All in all an expensive night out, but could to see and hear about some old Jags heros while contributing to the cause.

Out of interest, how many people were there?

Out of interest, how many people were there?

Sixteen tables of 10, with maybe some bigger tables around the middle of the room, so at least 160 paying punters, I'd reckon. At £70 a head, then all the drink that got bought, auctions, the heads/tails nonsense....more than just a few grand in the coffers, I'd think.

• 2 weeks later...

http://ptfc.co.uk/news/2010-2011/december_2010/business_club_update

A good amount raised for the Club and, given the impact the weather will be having on finances, very welcome at this time of year. Good to see that there will be further events and they are looking to have events which will appeal to a wider range of people.

My Dad (bless him) always spoke highly of Willie Sharp. He was also an admirer of Jimmy Walker. Being a big fan of the American game, I was amazed to discover from reading Niall Kennedy's excellent book on the club that Jimmy was born in Detroit and missed out on the US's epoch-making game with England in the 1950 World Cup by the width of a sheet of paper.

What a great history our club has.