Beattie's Programme Notes

GrantB

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they've managed to cut the deficit by a six-figure sum just in the past couple of months (and it's all to be welcomed), the mind boggles at how much has been wasted over the past 12 years when Gerber Landa and Gee were also making a significant contribution to the way the club's finances were controlled.

Partick Thistle Football Club is, however, more than just the Board of Directors. It belongs to each and every supporter.

Bullshit.

On the other hand, this ...

On the positive side - we will be launching a unique initiative that all fans and supporters can get behind the club – so watch this space – and be ready to act to ensure the long-term future of your club.

... has my attention.

So, £100,000 by the end of the season or the cuddly toy gets it. That's a lot of match tickets.

My take on this?

The board should be doing what they can to cut out wastage -- if they've saved a six figure sum so far, then it sounds that this is now being done;

The board could be going further and dip into their own pockets, although after events at Gretna and Dundee, we all know that we shouldn't be relying on sugar daddies; and

Every supporter should be doing what they can to help, whether it's buying a programme, a calendar, 50/50 tickets, going to the game. Whatever you can - because it IS our club, and the bottom line is that if not enough people care enough to go to the games, then it's all for nothing.

After seemingly getting the long term debt under control with the property deal, I'd like to see the plan to make sure that we can break even going forward on what seem to be stubbornly low crowds. Maybe part time football? Either way, we need to get to the end of this season first, and we can all help.

My take on this?

The board should be doing what they can to cut out wastage -- if they've saved a six figure sum so far, then it sounds that this is now being done;

The board could be going further and dip into their own pockets, although after events at Gretna and Dundee, we all know that we shouldn't be relying on sugar daddies; and

Every supporter should be doing what they can to help, whether it's buying a programme, a calendar, 50/50 tickets, going to the game. Whatever you can - because it IS our club, and the bottom line is that if not enough people care enough to go to the games, then it's all for nothing.

After seemingly getting the long term debt under control with the property deal, I'd like to see the plan to make sure that we can break even going forward on what seem to be stubbornly low crowds. Maybe part time football? Either way, we need to get to the end of this season first, and we can all help.

With crowds like today, you have to assume part time football is just round the corner

We could do worse than look to the Dundee fans for inspiration. Their recent fundraising efforts have been nothing short of fantastic. The flag scheme initiated by Dundee Mad raised 100,000+ alone.

Sorry, Adam, much as I detest Dundee FC, how they got into their latest mess and their sanctimonious attitude towards other clubs, there's probably little to be gained in copying their initiatives. As far as I can see our support is largely made up of either those with their heads firmly stuck in the sand or those who used to go to Firhill and now can't be arsed*.

*of course by saying that I'm in no way decrying those that won't go because it costs too much, Firhill lacks atmosphere, won't be back till Cowan, Hughes and Prentice resign or we sack some manager or other.

I don't want to see us lowering ourselves to copying anything that sorry bunch of Tayside cheats do.

I look forward to hearing Beattie's scheme though.

Predictable response.

I wasn't suggest we copy the Dees, rather highlighting how good, simple ideas can generate the kind of cash we're crying out for.

Predictable response.

I wasn't suggest we copy the Dees, rather highlighting how good, simple ideas can generate the kind of cash we're crying out for.

I heard there was even comapnies and footballs from Newcastle putting their name on these and generating income to the Dees. These were not supporters or fans of Dundee but just football fans from Newcastle showing their support to another club. (Im not saying they should Have shown their support to Dundee FC but thats a debate for another day) The main thing is it did generate a lot of money. Given the size of Glasgow and how many people claim to have a soft spot for the Jags then I dont see what there is to lose from trying this type of idea out all.

• Members

Dundee's "predicament" was/is headlining football news and folk outwith Scotland have little idea about the mess they've been in before and so they are getting a lot of sympathy. We're not at that stage.... yet!

For me if the Club are in trouble, then perhaps it's time everyone pulled together, at least till the end of the Season. Forget slagging off the Trust. Forget slagging off the Board. Forget slagging off Propco. Let's just support the Club for the next 5 months and see where that takes us?

Edited by Willjag

Dundee's "predicament" was/is headlining football news and folk outwith Scotland have little idea about the mess they've been in before and so they are getting a lot of sympathy. We're not at that stage.... yet!

For me if the Club are in trouble, then perhaps it's time everyone pulled together, at least till the end of the Season. Forget slagging off the Trust. Forget slagging off the Board. Forget slagging off Propco. Let's just support the Club for the next 5 months and see where that takes us?

:thumbsup2:

The absolute embarrassing attendance today leaves a lot to be said about peoples attitudes towards the club. Yes its near Christmas but we have not had a game in three weeks so I thought that people would have held a bit of money back to make it today. The club now seems populated with part-time fans and I make absolutely no apologies for that statement, a football team has to be supported unconditionally, so as far as I'm concerned should we be at the top or the bottom of the league, people should still be turning out to the games. The club needs the fans more than ever and to be brutally honest the poor attendances are killing this club. I have a lot of faith now in the board being able to keep this club afloat with what seems like a gallant effort since Cowan & Co. left to save us money, I am however losing faith in the fans loyalty towards the club. I am fully behind Beattie and what he is attempting to do, but many Jags fans need to get it together and start supporting the team!

My attitudes have never changed on this subject, and I've nearly always received some kind of back lash for these kind of posts, but my sympathy for fans who just can't be bothered turning out to games because its too cold, or the team are playing crap, or because they would rather be in the pub watching Man Utd has worn out completely, as a club we really need to start helping ourselves instead of looking for major cash injections from external sources.

Thats just my 2cents.

The absolute embarrassing attendance today leaves a lot to be said about peoples attitudes towards the club. Yes its near Christmas but we have not had a game in three weeks so I thought that people would have held a bit of money back to make it today. The club now seems populated with part-time fans and I make absolutely no apologies for that statement, a football team has to be supported unconditionally, so as far as I'm concerned should we be at the top or the bottom of the league, people should still be turning out to the games. The club needs the fans more than ever and to be brutally honest the poor attendances are killing this club. I have a lot of faith now in the board being able to keep this club afloat with what seems like a gallant effort since Cowan & Co. left to save us money, I am however losing faith in the fans loyalty towards the club. I am fully behind Beattie and what he is attempting to do, but many Jags fans need to get it together and start supporting the team!

My attitudes have never changed on this subject, and I've nearly always received some kind of back lash for these kind of posts, but my sympathy for fans who just can't be bothered turning out to games because its too cold, or the team are playing crap, or because they would rather be in the pub watching Man Utd has worn out completely, as a club we really need to start helping ourselves instead of looking for major cash injections from external sources.

Thats just my 2cents.

When I saw the attendance I was quite alarmed but having looked at the figures for Morton & Dunfermline as well as St Mirren it would appear that everyone has taken a big hit today. Clearly we need more fans to come week in week out but we were not alone in a low turnout this week.

Edited by Fawlty Towers

Thats just my 2cents.

Some of us have to work on Saturday's (my current shift pattern has me working 4 weekends in a row followed by 4 weekends off)

Doesn't make us any less loyal fans.

That's not the point R & Y is making.

Thank you. I am not having a go at people who miss a game once in a while, who have to work, who are not feeling well etc, Lord knows I have missed a few games in the past for that reason, the people who I am having a go at however are those who can make the game but deliberate choose not to for whatever reason. (Namely because they think since the team are not playing well this season it's not worth turning up.) The people who call themselves Jags fans but never turn up to the games, the club needs the support and I am simply wondering if us Jags fans will unite and at least try to boost attendances for the good of the team on and off the pitch.